What Do you think about this new Era we may be entering?

Options
r.prince18
r.prince18 Members Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭✭✭
I was thinking about what Jim Ross was saying how how he think their are 2 era's in wrestling : the territory era and the cable television era but i think were about to enter a new era : the internet era with rumors of internet maybe replacing cable in 20 years how do you think the WWE is gonna do in the internet era and do you think other wrestling feds will be able to complete with WWE since the E has it's own network.

Another Question , if Daniel Bryan is about to be the new face of wwe, what would you call his era ? Would it be the nerd or geek era.

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I like "the reality era".
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The hipster era.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are more eras than just 2 but I think he was taking a macro-communications look at the business but wrestling changed when TV was created and widespread, then came closed circuit and PPV, then cable and now internet.

There were major changes for all of them. Presentation of the product changed and the product itself had to.

Drawing gates isn't nearly as important as they used to be, then cable ratings ceased being that important and now PPV buys won't matter that much with the network.

If we are talking micro-eras like The Golden Age (1980s-1990s),
    The New Generation(1994-1997)
    The Attitude Era (1998-2001)
    The Ruthless Aggression Era (2002-2009)
    The Era of PG/Cenation (2010-present)

I don't think much will change except that TV and PPV will matter even less in the overall scheme, I don't think PG is going anywhere but the reign of Cena as the top star may change
  • Max.
    Max. Members Posts: 33,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man they need to go back to attitude era

? all tha
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Ruthless aggression was only 2002-2003 you could stretch it to 2006 max.

Been saying Daniel Bryan is a hipster and so is Punk. 2012 to now.

The internet been on the wrestling ? hard since 2000. In fact around that time or 3 years b4 the term "smart mark" or "smark" was invented. I was in the midst of it to confirm it.
  • Sour-Cream
    Sour-Cream Members Posts: 6,474 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea, it's a battle between cornballs and hipsters. I'd choose a hipster by default.
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They are not putting Dbry over but I agree on the hipster era
  • willhustle
    willhustle Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    There are more eras than just 2 but I think he was taking a macro-communications look at the business but wrestling changed when TV was created and widespread, then came closed circuit and PPV, then cable and now internet.

There were major changes for all of them. Presentation of the product changed and the product itself had to.

Drawing gates isn't nearly as important as they used to be, then cable ratings ceased being that important and now PPV buys won't matter that much with the network.

If we are talking micro-eras like The Golden Age (1980s-1990s),
    The New Generation(1994-1997)
    The Attitude Era (1998-2001)
    The Ruthless Aggression Era (2002-2009)
    The Era of PG/Cenation (2010-present)

I don't think much will change except that TV and PPV will matter even less in the overall scheme, I don't think PG is going anywhere but the reign of Cena as the top star may change

I'm looking at the yrs you got the era's in and I think there a little off not by much though... here's why imo...

The Golden Age: 1984-1992
    The New Generation Era: 1993 - 1997
    The Attitude Era: 1998 - 2002
    Ruthless Aggression Era: 2003 - 2008
    PG WWE Universe Era: 2009 - present

1)The Hulkamania Era was pretty much done w/after the steroid scandal of '92 and Hogan left WWE for nearly a year. 2)Although Hogan came back in early '93, After Hogan's loss to Yoko in June of '93 at KOTR that was the definitive end of the Hulkamania Era. While guys like Bret, Shawn, Yoko, Luger, Taker, & Razor were on the rise & keeping the company going (Bret & Shawn) and most of the old heads from the last era were either going to WCW or faded away.

3)I really think WM 13 was really the actual "planting seeds" of the Attitude Era as the content of the storylines were becoming more bolder but didn't truly become bananas until Stone Cold won at WM 14.

4)Looking back on it WM 19/Backlash '03 was the official end of the Attitude Era as Stone Cold was put finally put down by The Rock in their final WrestleMania match & The Rock leaving after losing to Goldberg at Backlash '03. Which led to guys like Orton, Batista, & Cena coming on the rise and becoming stars in '04-05 but veterans like HHH, Angle, & Taker were still dominate.

5)After the Benoit catastrophe WWE decided to clean up it's act and went back to catering to the kiddies again and decided to change their programming to do so I think it was announced until the summer of '08 maybe but anybody watching the content from then to now knows the product was watered down.

Idk what this Era would be called if we might be entering a new "era" I guess it would be called the "Reality Era" since the way they cut some of the promos in WWE in a shoot-like fashion. Can't enter a new era if there isn't any new stars being constantly pushed on a consistent basis which WWE has trouble with.