Thoughts on Occupy RAW

DarkRaiden
DarkRaiden Members Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in Off The Turn Buckle
How did you feel about Occupy RAW last Monday Night? Was it corny? Dope? Meh? Not Rate? And do you agree with the analysis in the article and video posted below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYGNdkmaMGU&feature=youtu.be

"Is the YES! Movement No Good?"

"I’m sure most wrestling fans can agree that “Yes!” Daniel Bryan is special, “Yes!” Daniel Bryan is popular, “Yes!” Daniel Bryan is THE fan favorite with the crowd behind him, and “Yes!” Daniel Bryan is a fantastic in-ring wrestler. Hell, even his detractors can acknowledge that these statements all have some truth to them in one way or another. No matter if you think Bryan is a “vanilla midget” or a “bearded vegan nerd” or whatever everyone is calling him. No matter if you think that Bryan doesn’t have “It” or doesn’t have the size or the “look” or the marketability to be the main face of the WWE. You know that he’s popular, he’s special and most of all, he’s good.

But, one thing that wasn’t “special” or good in any way was the segment last RAW (3/10/14) where Daniel Bryan had the so-called ‘Yes! Movement’ to….”Occupy” RAW. Now, not only did the original “Occupy Wall Street” not do much (read: anything) as far as bringing change, but the idea that all of those fans would be able to somehow get special Daniel Bryan shirts and hop the barricade without anyone stopping them was just...asinine.
Even worse was what followed: Daniel Bryan sitting on the turnbuckle, threatening to hijack RAW with a group of normal fans against the heel (villain) Authority. So, there they were, chanting “Yes!” and “No!” to various little statements and questions asked by the Beard himself, Daniel Bryan. So it was already pretty corny to begin with, and then it became about 10times cornier when the Authority (HHH and Stephanie McMahon) made their appearance. Now them just showing up and addressing this wasn’t bad, but what followed was horrendous. Seeing a super heel like HHH and the queen heel herself Stephanie McMahon be strong-armed by a bunch of no-name fans merely occupying the ring just seemed…wrong. Even if you applied reality to the situation, they would merely have the fans peacefully removed from the ring, one by one and thrown out of the arena. But this is wrestling, where everything is over the top. Sometimes it even gets downright cartoony. And while that’s what it was in a way, it went the complete opposite way than it should’ve.

HHH and Stephanie should’ve laughed at Bryan’s demands and let him know that this wasn’t going to work. Stephanie could’ve still done her evil “losing her temper” part and HHH still could’ve said the pretty genius “I’m just trying to protect you” shtick to Bryan, but the outcome should’ve been the complete opposite. Instead of the fans taking over and the Superstars and HHH being helpless, the FANS should’ve been ruthlessly discarded by the likes of Kane, The Shield, The Real Americans, Titus O’Neil and some security. It could’ve even led to some faces coming down to Bryan’s defense (Big E, Cena, whoever you want to push as a face at the time) and shown Bryan to be a sort of ‘Leader’ backstage. It also would’ve established the Authority as no nonsense and truly villainous characters that deserve to be booed 100% percent.

Instead, they gave us a cringe worthy segment that made Bryan lose some of my support (as a fan) and it came off as corny and accomplished nothing. It was shoe-horning at its worst and they simply forced the effect they wanted, without regard for what could’ve led to character or feud development.

But I suppose they got what they wanted, a spectacle they can show for future times about how “influential” the Yes! Movement was. Hopefully they don’t mess it up like they almost did ‘Fandango-ing’, but only time will tell and we can only hope for the best. "

http://www.warwithwords.com/?p=68

TL:DR It was corny and coulda been WAAAY Better if it went the opposite way.

Thoughts on Occupy RAW 17 votes

It was corny as hell
23%
DupacBroddieSerious Juice MayneDarkRaiden 4 votes
It was dope. I liked it.
35%
ocelotmikelewisqtipp73illestni99ainneYoung Gunnergenocidecutter 6 votes
Meh
35%
jonoCutler 26 INT's LOL!KillaChamVIBETheBoyRoMr. Rich Pryor 6 votes
It was good on paper, bad in execution
5%
lion_heart 1 vote
I don't feel any way about it. At all.
0%

Comments

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    meh i really didnt care
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    WWE just started killing Bryan's momentum with that stupid segment
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh
    Not what I would have done.

I can't hate it because HHH and Stephanie actually saved the segment so I liked their part but overall it was a corny concept.

I think they missed an opportunity to make DB character more serious.

I remember when HHH wanted his title match and he tortured Shane McMahon until he got it, when Undertaker challenged Ric Flair at Wrestlemania he beat the ? out of his son to get him to agree, it was a perfect time to establish DB In the same way by say attacking somebody like Randy Orton (threatening to injure Orton before 'Mania therefore ruining the main event) or Vince to force HHH into fighting him.

Would have made more sense.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
    jono wrote: »
    Not what I would have done.

I can't hate it because HHH and Stephanie actually saved the segment so I liked their part but overall it was a corny concept.

I think they missed an opportunity to make DB character more serious.

I remember when HHH wanted his title match and he tortured Shane McMahon until he got it, when Undertaker challenged Ric Flair at Wrestlemania he beat the ? out of his son to get him to agree, it was a perfect time to establish DB In the same way by say attacking somebody like Randy Orton (threatening to injure Orton before 'Mania therefore ruining the main event) or Vince to force HHH into fighting him.

Would have made more sense.

Wouldn't it have been goat if vinces music played and he made triple h fight Bryan? I remember reading about a power struggle storyline being discussed between triple h/steph and Vince
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh
    That would have been cool but I like the idea of Bryan forcing himself into the match a lot more.

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh
    The idea was to tell Chicagos RAW, basically, this is how you highjack RAW, while telling CM Punk "? you, too".

It could've been better. It felt extremely scripted and DB didn't come off well.

I'm kinda getting tired of him having to constantly rely on the crowd. Chants are cool and all but he's gonna get stuck in a box if he continues this way.

• DarkRaiden
    It was corny as hell
    Yeah I thought it was executed mad corny though. Also dumb for HHH and Steph to be strong armed like that IMO.
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh
    well it wuz aight but why cant they have him do some real ? ? !
  • DarkRaiden
    It was corny as hell
    well it wuz aight but why cant they have him do some real ? ? !

Cause he not a real ? ? He shoulda beat the match outta HHH or the NAO or something. Not do some wack ass protest that shouldn't work. But...it doesn't really work with his character so...I guess they did Occupy Wallstreet or..Occupy RAW instead.
  • KillaCham
    KillaCham Members, Moderators Posts: 11,417 Regulator
    edited March 2014
    Meh
    It was a cool segment and chance of pace. Definitely one of those highlights that WWE will go back to years later and say "remember when this happened?". It was cool that they were utilizing DB's connection with the fans big time too.

@VIBE I wouldn't say it was a ? you to Punk but they definitely got the idea for that from the "hijack RAW" ? in Chicago.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    KillaCham wrote: »
    It was a cool segment and chance of pace. Definitely one of those highlights that WWE will go back to years later and say "remember when this happened?". It was cool that they were utilizing DB's connection with the fans big time too.

@VIBE I wouldn't say it was a ? you to Punk but they definitely got the idea for that from the "hijack RAW" ? in Chicago.

If the whole Punk ? is real, than its a definite ? you to him. On top of that theyre using a comparable and basically the replacement of Punk in DB for the real kicker.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was corny as hell
    It was embarrassing to watch.
  • DOPEdweebz
    Occupy raw, then spend 150 for raw or smackdown tickets, 50 for the WWEVideo game and 120 for the WWE Network The Mcmahons own a quarter of ya paychecks.

They are pimping you. Lol
  • DOPEdweebz
    In b4 "technically thats not a quarter of my paycheck" and im only gonna rebuttal that part cuz my main point cant be disputed.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was pretty cringe worthy until Steph and hhh really started goin in, I love db's movement but they making him look weak and soft, like a real nice guy who just gets wat he wants cuz fans were on his side, I agree that he should've forced his way in the match
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Meh
    Man, that ass kicking wasn't so bad, though. It was actually refreshing.

I remember when Stone Cold whooped on Michael Cole, man at the time I thought it was the most horrible beat down ever, I almost cried.
  • Recaptimus_Prime360
    Recaptimus_Prime360 Members Posts: 64,801 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ok I don't see what was so bad about it. What am I missing here?
  • dalyricalbandit
    db should've done some ? Austin or ROCK would've done start tying ? up back stage beating dudes the ? up and then come out to the ring to beat the ? out of hunter
  • DOPEdweebz
    VIBE wrote: »
    Man, that ass kicking wasn't so bad, though. It was actually refreshing.

I remember when Stone Cold whooped on Michael Cole, man at the time I thought it was the most horrible beat down ever, I almost cried.

When HHH as "The Game" would beat Good Ol JR was pretty hard to watch back in 99-00.

James Storm needs to beat on Mike Tenay.
  • dalyricalbandit
    the rock kicking Mankinds ass>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>hhh beat db
  • genocidecutter
    genocidecutter Members Posts: 17,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It was dope. I liked it.
    The Yes movement was in full force