Options
13»

Comments

• blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »
    d.green wrote: »
    footballl killed the big east; but in the 80s the conference had the gulliest teams in both sports..hoyas in basketball and the miami in football

I feel u but Miami was indy until 1991.

I remember back then is felt like most of the national black community were Hoyas fans. After GTown most jumped to UNLV. Then it went to Michigan for a couple of years.

This also showed how weak the nba is now in regards to physical play.

I could've sworn that Georgetown was a black school when I was young. Those Thompson-coached teams were some of the first major teams where I remember it being all ? . I can't remember a white boy that ever played for Georgetown lol.

Lol most people outside DC thought Georgetown was a black school. It's in quite possibly the whitest area of the whole city. It used to be majority black but they moved everyone over into Southeast and white folks took over in the 60's. Truthfully, Georgetown don't even feel like it's part of DC at times. It exists like it's own city within the city. I do know this though John Thompson is one of 3 people you can NOT say anything negative about in this city without damn near causing a fight. His radio show was by far the most popular sports show around here til he left the air in 2012.
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? at the Junior Burroughs drop.
    What about Petey Sessoms?

who know about VA legends?
    Marseilles Brown?
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »
    footballl killed the big east; but in the 80s the conference had the gulliest teams in both sports..hoyas in basketball and the miami in football

I remember back then is felt like most of the national black community were Hoyas fans. After GTown most jumped to UNLV. Then it went to Michigan for a couple of years.

I could've sworn that Georgetown was a black school when I was young. Those Thompson-coached teams were some of the first major teams where I remember it being all ? . I can't remember a white boy that ever played for Georgetown lol.

Lol most people outside DC thought Georgetown was a black school. It's in quite possibly the whitest area of the whole city. It used to be majority black but they moved everyone over into Southeast and white folks took over in the 60's. Truthfully, Georgetown don't even feel like it's part of DC at times. It exists like it's own city within the city. I do know this though John Thompson is one of 3 people you can NOT say anything negative about in this city without damn near causing a fight. His radio show was by far the most popular sports show around here til he left the air in 2012.

@blackrain‌ Who the other 2?
  • blackrain
    Options
    MR.CJ wrote: »

@Mr.CJ Chuck Brown aka The Godfather of Go-Go and Marion Barry lol. Why people defend Marion Barry the way they do is hilarious, but this ? always gets people behind him whenever he ? up for some reason
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    I just posted the story cuz i liked it...it might be type exaggerated but I ve seen marginal players go bonkers in shooting drills so I don't doubt Mullin couldu light it up something crazy....

Oh no doubt. The most avg NBA player nails verything in practice. I remember a old vid of Deshawn stevenson goin ? for tat with Arenas, them nggas hit like 80/100 threes...

So i dnt dispute the 40 shots in a row...half court tho. No.

He did not hit 12...turn to the side...still talkin...and hit a hook shot.

Shooting with no pressure is a whole lot easier, you can hit a gang of shots
  • Beezus
    Beezus Members Posts: 15,296 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Watching this right now
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

@Mr.CJ Chuck Brown aka The Godfather of Go-Go and Marion Barry lol. Why people defend Marion Barry the way they do is hilarious, but this ? always gets people behind him whenever he ? up for some reason

@blackrain what about doug williams?
  • bigev240
    bigev240 Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 10,925 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Watching it now. This brings back a lot of memories.
  • blackrain
    Options

@blackrain what about doug williams?

My bad. I'm mobile and and hit the post button on accident. Doug Williams is appreciated on a sports level but the difference with the other 3 is those are seen as having had seriousl cultural impact on the city they came from. Chuck Brown, Barry and Thompson are from here so what they did means more to black people in DC and southern MD.
  • Rampage12
    Rampage12 Members Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    S2J wrote: »
    I just posted the story cuz i liked it...it might be type exaggerated but I ve seen marginal players go bonkers in shooting drills so I don't doubt Mullin could light it up something crazy....

Oh no doubt. The most avg NBA player nails verything in practice. I remember a old vid of Deshawn stevenson goin ? for tat with Arenas, them nggas hit like 80/100 threes...

So i dnt dispute the 40 shots in a row...half court tho. No.

He did not hit 12...turn to the side...still talkin...and hit a hook shot.

Actually they bet $20,000 on it. Arenas was taking one handed 3 pointers from the college line, while Stevenson was taking two handed 3 pointers from the pro line. Think Arenas won but don't think it was that serious as they were acting like ratards trying to make each other laugh while the other was shooting.
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

I thought it was Chuck Brown and Wayne Perry, the other 2 folks you couldn't talk about.

• blackrain
    Options

I thought it was Chuck Brown and Wayne Perry, the other 2 folks you couldn't talk about.

Wayne Perry's history is well known, but at the end of the day he was a killer. Ain't but so much respect that will carry to the average person not involved in street life.
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A killer and reported ? ....