GDC: Microsoft Has Worked on VR 'For Quite a While'

Options
joshuaboy
joshuaboy Members Posts: 10,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

Microsoft's research lab has been busy

During a conversation about virtual reality technology at the Game Developers Conference, Microsoft Game Studios' Phil Spencer said "I think the technology is really interesting, and it’s definitely something we’ve been playing with for quite a while."

Spencer doesn't believe "every experience requires goggles on my head," but admitted to the value of "being able to completely audibly and visually immerse players."

Sony revealed its Project Morpheus VR this week. Rumors flew that Microsoft was considering something similar.

IGN will have more from Spencer later this week.

Comments

• John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    im just not that hype for it honestly .. think it might be at least 5-7 years before its any good
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I hate microsoft soooooooo much I really do , there products are just pure ? watch this VR machine end up giving people eye cancer or some ? .

I hope everybody who buys this ? gets the blue/black/red/green/yellow/pink / brown screen of death.
  • Bazz-B
    Bazz-B Members Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ^^^^ the hatred is real.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    VR with a game like Bioshock would be the ? .
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've actually talked to someone on the inside and trust me Microsoft is going to another level with this VR ? . There are going to be plans to where you can feel and touch ? . This person also told me we have technology to fit 9 processors into a finger and were still working hard on nano technology and I was surprised to find out how soon some of this tech is actually going to be released.
  • Phantom Pain
    Phantom Pain Members Posts: 678 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They been playing with this shir for a while? Yall remember illumiroom? Kinect? Yeah all that ? is virtual reality...Microsoft selling dreams
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »
    VR with a game like Bioshock would be the ? .

The ? would be great for anything that's typically played from a first person view e.g., shooters, wRPGs (like skyrim), racing games, etc... I could even see sports games implementing this pretty well.. Imagine something like Madden but instead of that sky view, you're actually playing from the QBs perspective.
  • BlackxChild
    BlackxChild Members Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I've actually talked to someone on the inside and trust me Microsoft is going to another level with this VR ? . There are going to be plans to where you can feel and touch ? . This person also told me we have technology to fit 9 processors into a finger and were still working hard on nano technology and I was surprised to find out how soon some of this tech is actually going to be released.

I saw a lol... What I'm saying isn't a joke technology is moving fast, read a book like Michio Kakus physics of the future. I've been told quite a bit about things you might see coming from Microsoft.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Nothing you said in that quote is novel honestly. They've been working on that stuff for a long time. That said, I seriously doubt Microsoft will be able to market that stuff anytime soon. It will be a push just to get these VR helmets down to a price point where people will actually buy them. It will be impossible to do with with a VR suit or whatever this is supposed to be.
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Im the only One that feels this is coming lol?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIuuPTM3nSc

anyway, oculus Rift new dev kit is like 350$, its 1080p goggles everything....sony's morphues coming for around 250 tp 300$...one of the Valve heads just started working at oculus Rift, ? gonna be steam supported vr madness my friends.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I think Sony has the advantage right now. The headsets will likely end up being comparable in quality. There will likely be differences in performance in various areas, but all in all they'll probably be similar overall. However, the Move and PS4 cam integration will be important. That should lead to much better body tracking and integration into games.
  • CJ
    CJ Members Posts: 15,312 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    0 interest in this
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Have you ever tried out VR? I don't really see how anyone can not have any interest in it at all if they have. The ? is dope. I'm not saying that everyone has to want it or feel it's necessary, but if done right this would open the doors for a lot of interesting gaming.

It's sort of like what IMAX theatres are to regular theatres. It's understandable that you might not care enough about the IMAX experience to pay the extra money, but there really isn't any debate that movies in those theatres are much more engrossing than in the standard format.
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Have you ever tried out VR? I don't really see how anyone can not have any interest in it at all if they have. The ? is dope. I'm not saying that everyone has to want it or feel it's necessary, but if done right this would open the doors for a lot of interesting gaming.

It's sort of like what IMAX theatres are to regular theatres. It's understandable that you might not care enough about the IMAX experience to pay the extra money, but there really isn't any debate that movies in those theatres are much more engrossing than in the standard format.

exactly, fighting giants in the Next elders scrolls ain't never going to be the Same. Youre going to have to look up lol

the immersion is gonna be on a Whole other level.
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i actually thought oculus rift was MS' VR stuff, which was why Sony was making its own.

OR just got bought by facebook, so someone must really believe in this.