Shenmue 3 could happen via kickstarter says creator.

Options
Alkinduz
Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
Ooooooooooooooh shiiiit!

Shenmue 3 Could Happen Via A Kickstarter Campaign, Says Creator Yu Suzuki

Posted Fri 21st Mar 2014 15:00 by Damien McFerran
"I see."
Famous game designer is "researching" crowdfunding the sequel

Shenmue and its sequel cost around $70 million to make — an incredible figure when you consider that Sega was on the ropes when it bankrolled them. Unsurprisingly, the death of the Dreamcast — combined with Sega's gradual shift from developer to publisher — has put Shenmue 3 on the back-burner. However, creator Yu Suzuki has revealed at GDC 2014 that fans might not have to wait that much longer for the next instalment in the franchise.

Advertisement Advert
Speaking at a Shenmue post-mortem during the event, Suzuki — who also created arcade hits like After Burner, Space Harrier and Virtua Fighter — said that he would like to make Shenmue 3 with the "right opportunity". When asked if he'd considered using Kickstarter, he replied:

Yes. I am researching it.

When pressed for further details, Suzuki refused to say for sure if the crowdfunding campaign for definitely happen, and reiterated that he was merely looking into the prospect of bringing the game to Kickstarter at the moment. He also couldn't say what he was working on with his new studio ys.net, but did confirm that a project is in the works:

Just now, I don't have anything I can say yet. I can't announce right now - but I'm making something.

Would you back a Kickstarter campaign for the next Shenmue, or do you think that such a project would be so expensive that it couldn't be made via crowdfunding? Do you know where I can find some sailors? Did you happen to see a black car that day? Let us know with a comment.

[via eurogamer.net]

Comments

• TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'm surprised there isn't more of a response to this thread.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This game should've been made years ago.
  • stoneface
    stoneface Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Good. I'll donate. Never even got a chance to actually confront Lan Di. Part II came out in 2002, they let that ? hang for 12 years now.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I would donate a stack. Seriously.
  • Karl.
    Options
    Rather than a sequel. I'd prefer them to start it again so everyone can experience the full story.
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I was just thinking about this game the other day. I hope they come out with this game because I'll be copping this
  • Wild Self
    Wild Self Members Posts: 4,226 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SEGA never gotten enough credit for this, among other games. Its is a shame that not enough people appreciated Shenmue and other innovative games for the Dreamcast because of bias journalism and fanboys. I will donate at least 2 Gs of my own money if this ever hit kickstarter.
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wish I had to money to donate. But I'd def cop. My sister scratched my disk 2 of the first Shenmue. I still never beat it. Might go get the Iso & play on the PC soon
  • T. Sanford
    Options
    I love these type of thought provoking games. It makes me never want to turn the console off.

I remember playing the first Shenmue on Xbox & all I remember is that I had to get a job (I was stacking boxes for a warehouse I think). I think it took forever to get your bread up that way tho
  • stoneface
    Options
    T. Sanford wrote: »
    I love these type of thought provoking games. It makes me never want to turn the console off.

I remember playing the first Shenmue on Xbox & all I remember is that I had to get a job (I was stacking boxes for a warehouse I think). I think it took forever to get your bread up that way tho

You're talking about Shenmue II right? That was the only one on Xbox, first one was on Dreamcast.

• Ghostdenithegawd
    Ghostdenithegawd Members Posts: 16,231 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Never got to experience this game just heard it was classic
  • T. Sanford
    Options
    stoneface wrote: »
    T. Sanford wrote: »

You're talking about Shenmue II right? That was the only one on Xbox, first one was on Dreamcast.

I meant the one on Dreamcast. I almost forgot I had a dreamcast
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    you can download and burn the isos to blank cds and play them on dreamcast if you got one
  • Karl.
    Options
    Wild Self wrote: »
    SEGA never gotten enough credit for this, among other games. Its is a shame that not enough people appreciated Shenmue and other innovative games for the Dreamcast because of bias journalism and fanboys. I will donate at least 2 Gs of my own money if this ever hit kickstarter.

Sega had plenty of credit. They just ? it up as usual.
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yeah the yakuza games are kinda like shenmue though bros

damn yu suzuki gotta have 70 million to make this game lol
  • jee504
    jee504 Members Posts: 6,945 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That first Shenmue was the truth. They created a living and breathing world where the people and weather were always different. Seemed like every time I played it I noticed something new. And for its time the game was beautiful. That was a game that was way ahead of its time. If its true, I'd donate something.
  • Karl.
    Options
    This game shouldn't be kick started. Sega owns it so they should pay for the ? thing.
  • scrapper1
    scrapper1 Members Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    HELL YEAH... will I see profits if I invest thru kickstarter?
  • stoneface
    Options
    scrapper1 wrote: »

lol no, you don't invest in things through Kickstarter, you donate.
  • stoneface
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »
    This game shouldn't be kick started. Sega owns it so they should pay for the ? thing.

Does Sega still own the IP? I would imagine that Suzuki wouldn't even be able to put this up on Kickstarter if they did.

• Karl.
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »

Does Sega still own the IP? I would imagine that Suzuki wouldn't even be able to put this up on Kickstarter if they did.

No idea. The Veronica Mars movie got kickstarted and the money went the Warner Bros.

Smh
  • Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember I played shenmue II on xbox.
    I think I was too young to appreciate it because I thought it was boring as hell lol
    I wanted to enjoy it but being a 10-11 year old it was damn near impossible
    with games like GTA 3, Halo, FFX, Max Payne, Vice City, Kingdom Hearts etc being out
  • scrapper1
    Options
    scrapper1 wrote: »

lol no, you don't invest in things through Kickstarter, you donate.

Aint..that..a..?
  • huey
    huey Members Posts: 11,743 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    First game I got for dreamcast, so much depth and extra ? to do
  • scrapper1
    Options
    Their original concept with the technology of today..probably have more to do than GTA games..considering GTA got a lot of inspiration from Shenmue