Albums It Took You a While to Get Into (Like Years)

Options
S2J
S2J Members Posts: 28,458 ✭✭✭✭✭
Listenin to Q Tip's The Renaissance and its a rare album that i listened to, completely forgot, then picked up again years later and rock consistenly.

Add on...

Comments

• StoneColdMikey
    StoneColdMikey Members, Moderators Posts: 33,543 Regulator
    Options
    808 and heartbreaks
  • lazypakman
    lazypakman Members Posts: 4,913 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blu and exile - below the heavens

took me a while to get used to the depth of blu's lyricism.
  • Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    late registration
    illmatic

i was 12 when i first heard them and i honestly didnt appreciate them until a few years later
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I remember when De la Soul's 3 Feet High and Rising came out. At first everybody said it was totally wack. It didn't take years, but it was about a month or so before everybody got it.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    R.A.P. Music took me many listens to like. I always like a few songs on there but El-P's production needed to grow on me
  • S2J
    Options
    lazypakman wrote: »
    blu and exile - below the heavens

took me a while to get used to the depth of blu's lyricism.

That album was critically acclaimed. I've had it on my ipod for 3+ years and still havent given a listen. I'm gettin to it...lol
  • S2J
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Crazy hing about that Q Tip, i was listen to Wiz Khalifa (i know) and he used the 'Gettin Up' beat. Love that beat and song, so i went back and started listen to the Renaissance
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=65N_iqML8Uw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WKx3s35ms0

• _Goldie_
    _Goldie_ Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 30,349 Regulator
    Options
    I thought "like water for chocolate" was cool, I didnt see why ? were callin it a classic tho. Now I see the light, no pun.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Renaissance is hard. I liked it from jump.

I co-sign Below The Heavens though, I always have found Blu to be mediocre and boring as a rapper but that album is hot...I'll hand it to him. I guess I had to get used to it.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    MF DOOM - Operation: Doomsday!

First downloaded it when i was 13. didnt ? understand. The samples were weird to me. Set it down for years. It wasnt until Madvillainy came out that i decided to give it another try. Dope album.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ATLiens, oddly enough my Mom got me a copy of it from this place she used to work.

She got me that and the Biggie Duets album that I actually liked.

Shout out to Moms.
  • tharealest561
    tharealest561 Members Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of Scarface's ? .

When I was younger I just heard him, wasn't overly impressed. Now that I'm older, I listen to that OG all the time.

*plays Jesse James*
  • Undergroundraplegend
    Undergroundraplegend Members Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    A lot of Scarface's ? .

When I was younger I just heard him, wasn't overly impressed. Now that I'm older, I listen to that OG all the time.

*plays Jesse James*

Lol thats somewhat how I was im a scarface fan.

But I didnt listen to him cause he was weird to me and just seem off, later gave him a listen now hes one of my favs
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    [img][/img]
    A lot of Scarface's ? .

*plays Jesse James*

Lol thats somewhat how I was im a scarface fan.

But I didnt listen to him cause he was weird to me and just seem off, later gave him a listen now hes one of my favs
    A lot of Scarface's ? .

*plays Jesse James*

I be runnin his ? back now like damn you hear that.
  • rapmusic
    rapmusic Members Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Grand Puba-2000. I remember wanting to buy it when it came out but I kept forgetting about it. I found it a couple years ago at a flea market for like 3 bucks and it stays in my CD player
  • Kalecrunch
    Kalecrunch Members Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Aquemini
    It got released right around the same time Jay Z Hard Knock Life vol2.
    Jay Z and the Swizz Beats and Timbaland production on the LP was a major sound for that era, and I got it for some reason. Aquemini had some slow to mid tempo tracks and I had a hard time understanding why it got 5 mics in The Source mag and Hardknock vol2 got 4.5.

Aquemini had stuff that wasn't even rap. It had Spoken-word poetry ex(Spottieoddidopilicious). About 9 months to a year later, it is in my top3 fav LP's all time.
  • trilladelic
    trilladelic Members Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    flesh bone - t.h.u.g.

suga free - ghetto gospel

method man - tical