Hunger Games: Catching Fire

Options
2»

Comments

• soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was a great movie. I haven't read the books so I can only judge these Hunger Games movies on their own merits. The one reason I was even remotely interested in the first HG is because of the racist online backlash against a black girl being cast as Rue. I was surprised that it was better than what I thought it would be considering the series is based off of young adult books. It wasn't great but good enough for me to watch again and eventually see a sequel.

That being said, Hunger Games: Catching Fire was fantastic. All of the good things about the first HG was taken to the next level with this movie from the effects to the acting to the direction to the pacing, etc. Jennifer Lawrence played the part of Catniss to perfection. Her character's introverted yet genuine nature made for such a compelling protagonist and it proves that movie audiences are willing to accept non-sexualized female leads. John Hutcherson as Peeta (I couldn't tell if they were just pronouncing his name wierd, if it was actually Peter, or what) left alot to be desired until halfway through the movie. I always looked at his character as a weak, sniveling, manipulative, disingenuous creep of a little man. But the more he and Catniss interacted in this movie, I was convinced that they could actually like each other, if not love.

I'm glad the director didn't make the potential love triangle the centerpiece of the movie and I hope it remains that way for the third film. Any on-screen romance will get compared to Twilight (I'm looking at you Amazing Spiderman) and luckily, the director and writers established that as emotional of a roller coaster ride as this movie is, the main virtues are survival, freedom, and hope. All the lovey dovey ? was extremely tempered as only to make the characters still seem human instead of cardboard.

Lenny Kravitz was great, the dress he "designed" was dope, and what happened to him was ? up. Like I said, I haven't read the book but I hope we somehow get to see more of him. Woody Harrelson was great as usual. Liam Hemsworth as Gale was forgettable but supposedly he'll play a way larger role in the next movie so the verdict is still out on him. Sam Clafflin as Finnick was a nice touch but I disagree with people saying he should play Aquaman in the Justice League movie. Jena Malone was that ? . The elevator scene was hilarious and how the plot unfolded towards the end made me appreciate her and Finnick alot more than their initial appearances. Elizabeth Banks was about the worst part of the movie. I couldn't take her serious at all. Even when she tried to show compassion, it came across as fake and cardboard. And all the makeup and wig makes her look hideous which is crazy cause she's a nice looking chick in real life.

Elizabeth-Banks-Hunger-Games-Effie-400x300.jpg

The mark of any good movie is how much you end up loving or hating the main villain/antagonist. MUTHAFUCKIN DONALD SUTHERLAND YOU EVIL SON OF A ? . His character, Snow, was so well written and portrayed it doesn't make any sense. He embodies everything despicable and ambivalent about the HG world. He played the part so well, I just want Catniss to shoot an arrow through his forehead.

Like I said, the whole Rue/District 2 dedication scene was sad as ? and hands down the best part of the movie to me. After seeing the first HG, I was only mildly interested in seeing a sequel. But after seeing this one, I desperately want to see a third movie because you KNOW ? is about to go down and Catniss is ? the ? off.

8.5/10
  • Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah man just nah these movies are garbage. Bad acting, miscast....this is twilight for men. I just watched starving games this morning I want 2 hours of my life back. Boring movie.....man why do people like this ? ?
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »
    Nah man just nah these movies are garbage. Bad acting, miscast....this is twilight for men. I just watched starving games this morning I want 2 hours of my life back. Boring movie.....man why do people like this ? ?

What did you dislike about it besides the bad casting?
  • KingFreeman
    KingFreeman Members Posts: 13,731 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It was better than I expected it to be. The ending changed how I felt about the series. Now I'm anticipating the next film even more.
  • YamoleySensei
    YamoleySensei Members Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Only watched it on the strength of that bad pink toe ? , Jennifer Lawrence....other than that, I was lost and confused within 30 minutes
  • Like Water
    Like Water Members Posts: 5,265 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @soul rattler‌ The funny thing about the backlash with Rue was that she was black in the book. Her and Thrash. It was only like a sentence, but it was there. White people just want everything innocent and wholesome for themselves.

And I thoroughly enjoyed the darker, more mature tone of this one. Third and fourth one have some nice stuff to work with as well.
  • texas409
    texas409 Members Posts: 20,854 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea this one was light years better than the first one they really tried to mess her up in this one
  • king hassan
    king hassan Members Posts: 22,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My daughter reads all the books and of course she has me in the movies to watch them