"People Dont Change" True Or False

Options
2»

Comments

• obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Elrawd wrote: »
    I lean towards no. Not your essential character, at least. I think people can grow and evolve in some facets of who you are, but the very personhood itself? I tend to think there's an inner continuity of who we are that is constant. So if a white person come to me talking about how they a reformed racist after diversity training, they can kiss my ass. Some ? is just built in.

You're good at ironing

Touché
  • _Lefty
    _Lefty Members Posts: 6,564 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    People evolve throughout life, there are hardwired traits that make you who you are, but people are ever changing. I ain't even close to being the same ? I was 10 years ago, and I know i'll be different in 10 more ? willing I see it. Time, conditions, events change everybody.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options
    I lean towards no. Not your essential character, at least. I think people can grow and evolve in some facets of who you are, but the very personhood itself? I tend to think there's an inner continuity of who we are that is constant. So if a white person come to me talking about how they a reformed racist after diversity training, they can kiss my ass. Some ? is just built in.

I cosigned this but what if a person simply redirects their energy to something else positive? Sometimes personality traits can be deemed bad or good based on what a person uses that trait for
  • rip.dilla
    rip.dilla Members Posts: 17,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Evil wrote: »
    When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put the ways of childhood behind me.

Alot of ? stuck in their 2nd childhood

That song still gives me chills anytime it comes on

Premier man ..

I don't change .. Mostly people around me do
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    morally ...very rarely
  • Chi Snow
    Chi Snow Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 28,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Change is the only constant

• BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    True, people themselves don't change it is their behavior/thoughts* that is changed/modified, for the better or worse.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    True, people themselves don't change it is their behavior/thoughts* that is changed/modified, for the better or worse.

People change all the time. Our cells are constantly dying and getting replaced by new ones.
  • mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    'the lord will take a monster and fashion him a saint
    I present you Malcolm X for those who saying that he can't'
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

People change all the time. Our cells are constantly dying and getting replaced by new ones.
    Biologically I agree.
  • 7figz
    7figz Members Posts: 15,294 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Yea they can change. Why not ?
  • obnoxiouslyfresh
    obnoxiouslyfresh Members Posts: 11,496 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

I cosigned this but what if a person simply redirects their energy to something else positive? Sometimes personality traits can be deemed bad or good based on what a person uses that trait for

I suppose. But will that change who someone is, in principle? Idk...
  • Knives Amilli
    Knives Amilli Members Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I'd say no, most people don't change. Its very very difficult to change in the long run.

One of my favorite comic book series of all time, DC's The Sandman *written by Neil Gaiman deals with this.

Long story short, The Sandman is about essentially a Dream ? who after being trapped for hundreds of years, is freed and now has to clean up messes left not only in his absence, but also affairs he set in motion over his immortal lifetime.

After hundreds of years in captivity, said Dream ? realizes he was kind of a ? about certain things and seeks to be a better "person", but can only allow himself to change so much, before old behaviors get the best of him (its really a good series I recommend it).

The grand takeaway from it all is that even an immortal, infinite being can only change so much, and even then it wasnt easy. This is why humility, true humility is such a respective trait. It means you have been humbled to your core to realize the error in your ways, which is the first step in change.