From are athiest standpoint how do you explain proverbs and Ecclesiastes

Options
Authentic100
Authentic100 Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
you cant deny that there is truth in these books and they can still be applied 2000 years later

Im personally agnostic but even though there is a lot of stuff had to believe in the bible there are some things that cannot just be written off as nonsense. There is some knowledge in there that makes you think "how did they know that?"

Comments

• whar
    whar Members Posts: 347 ✭✭✭
    Options
    There is wisdom within the human race and therefore I would expect to find some of the wisdom in any religious text. However there is nothing in them that seems to exceed the knowledge that would be possessed when the works originated.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Like what exactly?
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Morality exists independent of religion, so while these texts do have some good tidbits in them they are not necessary.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Real ? code of ethics
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Real human code of ethics, Sir. Proverbs was written by @Cain
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    Sorry Tehuti master of knowledge and wisdom. ? of magic
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    reading those books without ? is like eating pizza with no cheese, you cannot get the real taste nor grasps the real meaning.
  • Authentic100
    Authentic100 Members Posts: 1,320 ✭✭✭
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    reading those books without ? is like eating pizza with no cheese, you cannot get the real taste nor grasps the real meaning.

I want to believe in ? but there is a lot of ? that makes no sense.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    BiblicalAtheist Members Posts: 15,668 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No worries, believers tell themselves and other that to make themselves feel better and others feel worse. You don't need the ? of the bible to gain understanding from it.
  • zombie
    Options

No one can understand everything and many things people just refuse to accept.
  • zombie
    Options

No worries, believers tell themselves and other that to make themselves feel better and others feel worse. You don't need the ? of the bible to gain understanding from it.

If you do not believe in ? you won't get the fullness of what those scriptures are saying
  • Ajackson17
    Options
    I think Spinoza was the closest one to getting somewhat of a correct personality of a creator.
  • BiblicalAtheist
    Options

If you do not believe in ? you won't get the fullness of what those scriptures are saying
    It's a wonder then why I've gotten more out of the bible since not believing in the ? of the bible. You'd think it'd be the other way around.
  • Melqart
    Melqart Guests, Members Posts: 3,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is funny to me about atheism in the US is that they, for the most part, base their negative perception And denial of a creator solely on the judeo christian perception of ? . Like they're the only ones who could have possibly been able to have feasible opinions on a transcendent being that all walks of life of all ages have had their own opinion about.
  • The True Flesh
    The True Flesh Members Posts: 466 ✭✭✭
    Options

It's a wonder then why I've gotten more out of the bible since not believing in the ? of the bible. You'd think it'd be the other way around.

I sure would like to know what this means.

• BiblicalAtheist
    Options

I've learned more from the bible since not believing in the ? of the bible than when I did believe in the ? of the bible.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Meroe wrote: »
    What is funny to me about atheism in the US is that they, for the most part, base their negative perception And denial of a creator solely on the judeo christian perception of ? . Like they're the only ones who could have possibly been able to have feasible opinions on a transcendent being that all walks of life of all ages have had their own opinion about.

Most of the U.S. religious population adheres to Judeo Christian beliefs. American atheists probably don't feel the need to base their denial on a belief they typically don't come across in every day life. Also, the Abrahamic version of ? is the number one interpretation of ? for the modern world.
  • Bodhi
    Options

I've learned more from the bible since not believing in the ? of the bible than when I did believe in the ? of the bible.

Me too..
  • Bodhi
    Options
    When you are no longer clinging to a particular belief that causes the sort of bias that inhibits a wider perspective on something, you gain more from it. To use zombie's example, a biased person may read the book and eat one slice only because his mind (or for the purpose of analogy), his appetite will not allow him to eat more. However, a person who reads the book objectively can eat more because they have a bigger appetite, or a more open mind.