Thinking Outside The Box

Options
kzzl
kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited March 2014 in R & R (Religion and Race)
A question I have for our Black immigrants, visitors, or those in your circle.

census-race-300x225.jpg

How many of you, or Black skinned people you know, filled out the "Ethnicity/Race" section of a form and placed a check mark in the "White" box?

Comments

• Antlerz
    Antlerz Members Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought they stopped putting ?
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
  • MrSoutCity
    MrSoutCity Members Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White folk in the ? Islands will ? you for calling them white. Talk about some race hating mother ?
  • kzzl
    Options
    The US Census classifies White as people (not a racial group) with origins to the original people of Europe, Middle East, and North Africa.

It also goes to say that Black is a person with origins to the black racial groups (not original peoples) of Africa.

So here we have a picture of a Sudanese child...

sudanese_boy.jpg

What box would he and others have to check? And why wouldn't they check the other?
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There are 5 races on the census:
    White
    Black et al
    American Indian/Eskimo
    Asian
    Pacific Islander

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »
    The US Census classifies White as people (not a racial group) with origins to the original people of Europe, Middle East, and North Africa.

It also goes to say that Black is a person with origins to the black racial groups (not original peoples) of Africa.

sudanese_boy.jpg

What box would he and others have to check? And why wouldn't they check the other?

he should check black because that is what he looks like in fact we should all check what we look like and are most loyal to.
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I be wanting to do this with job applications just to see if I get a better chance . . .
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I be puttin pacific islander for the ? of it
  • jono
    Options
    The U.S. Census Bureau must adhere to the 1997 Office of Management and Budget (OMB) standards on race and ethnicity which guide the Census Bureau in classifying written responses to the race question:
    White – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Europe, the Middle East, or North Africa.

Black or African American – A person having origins in any of the Black racial groups of Africa.

American Indian or Alaska Native – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of North and South America (including Central America) and who maintains tribal affiliation or community attachment.

Asian – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of the Far East, Southeast Asia, or the Indian subcontinent including, for example, Cambodia, China, India, Japan, Korea, Malaysia, Pakistan, the Philippine Islands, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander – A person having origins in any of the original peoples of Hawaii, Guam, Samoa, or other Pacific Islands.

N. African & Middle East just mean Arab. Arabs are considered white.

Africans are black period. However an African can click white if he wanted to, if he's from an N. African country.
  • kzzl
    edited March 2014
    Options
    It's the wording of the form that stands out the most to me. It does not accurately reflect the diversity of the world or the anthropology evidence on the types of human races. To have "White" being used to classify tacked on groups of people, that clearly don't fit the physical description of a Caucasian, doesn't add up.

Makes me wonder if we're looking at it in a way it wasn't intended. Perhaps it's got more to do with social status. Deciding if a person is of ascribed or achieved status in our society.
  • jono
    Options
    It's not meant to be exhaustive and also:
    The racial categories included in the census questionnaire generally reflect a social definition of race recognized in this country and not an attempt to define race biologically, anthropologically, or genetically. In addition, it is recognized that the categories of the race item include racial and national origin or sociocultural groups. People may choose to report more than one race to indicate their racial mixture, such as “American Indian” and “White.” People who identify their origin as Hispanic, Latino, or Spanish may be of any race

• GettinLo
    GettinLo Members Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I be wanting to do this with job applications just to see if I get a better chance . . .

? named Qaadir checking white would be hilarious
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options

sudanese_boy.jpg

Sudan is North Eastern so Sudanese should check that white box.....

And if ? was smart they would stay away from checking that black box....because it says right there that blacks dont have origins to the original people of Africa....You can check that white box no matter your skin color cuz its not based on skin color..

giphy.gif
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I check the black box.
    There were times where they would'nt be any choices for black except african american so I'd just check other.
    Now idgaf I put anything, tf they asking me that ? for anyway?!
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    To have "White" being used to classify tacked on groups of people, that clearly don't fit the physical description of a Caucasian, doesn't add up.
    going to be honest: this often sounds like "that clearly don't fit WHAT I THINK CAUCASIANS SHOULD BE"

also:
    jono wrote: »
    It's not meant to be exhaustive
    bingo

and i think you can select multiple races
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Black and White are legal status, they have nothing to do with skin color. If they did, we'd be calling whites 'Red' and blacks 'Brown'.

White/Black are status' that have been used since ancient times. White being the ruling class, Black being the servant class.

For more info check out the book The Ancient and Modern Britons by David Mac Ritchie. You may be able to find the PDF online. Must read for any serious historian.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I will post an excerpt when I get home, it is very interesting. Haven't picked it up in a while so it'll be good studying for myself as well...