Real talk... if there are ? , biracial 'black' women are the worst

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    Elrawd wrote: »
    Not sure how one could say that Weber, Durkheim, Goffman, Milgram and Marx's works are not important to Soc

You got a list from "about.com" it's not trustworthy. But hey you said "sociology is BS it's an arts program" which is far more egregious than me challenging the word of a single person within a huge field. Nahmean?

Truth doesn't come from how many people say something or who is saying it
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how one could say that Weber, Durkheim, Goffman, Milgram and Marx's works are not important to Soc

You got a list from "about.com" it's not trustworthy. But hey you said "sociology is BS it's an arts program" which is far more egregious than me challenging the word of a single person within a huge field. Nahmean?

It does in scientific fields. Now produce a study or something academic real quick.
  • Purr
    Purr Members Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭✭

Aight.

Lets close down all of our schools. The academic and world-renowned scholar is speaking "truth". Yet, his facts comes from about.com, which is below Wikipedia, and had posted facts from a unknown professor from arizona state (lol).

Youre from canada, please stick with canadian issues. American social issues are not your forte.

• LUClEN

It does in scientific fields. Now produce a study or something academic real quick.

It comes from empirical evidence
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love sociology.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sociological definition fails on the individual level because the sociological definition refers to institutionalized and organized racism since that is, after all, what sociology deals with.

However, the sociological definition is grounded in the universally accepted definition of racism previously given by yours truly. So if we are to define racism at its most basic level, the universally accepted definition provided by most if not every noteworthy English dictionary available is the only definition that works.

Racism is a belief and can be held by any one individual regardless of status or power, just the same way one can be sexist without being in a sociopolitical advantage.
  • A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Bodhi wrote: »
    The sociological definition fails on the individual level because the sociological definition refers to institutionalized and organized racism since that is, after all, what sociology deals with.

However, the sociological definition is grounded in the universally accepted definition of racism previously given by yours truly. So if we are to define racism at its most basic level, the universally accepted definition provided by most if not every noteworthy English dictionary available is the only definition that works.

Racism is a belief and can be held by any one individual regardless of status or power, just the same way one can be sexist without being in a sociopolitical advantage.

If a white man hates me because I'm black he's a racist. He doesn't have to believe that blacks are inferior.
  • Bodhi
    Even then, the sociological definition does not hold that in order to be racist, a group, organization or institution has to have power on a grand scale, i.e. world power; a very small organization with relatively minimal power can express racist ideals on persons below them insofar as the situation is concerned and still be in agreement with the sociological definition without the race of the organization holding world power being a necessity.
  • Bodhi

If a white man hates me because I'm black he's a racist. He doesn't have to believe that blacks are inferior.

That's prejudice. If he hates you only because you're black, that is a preconceived opinion not based on actual experience which is the definition of prejudice verbatim. In order to be racist, one has to believe that there is racial hierarchy. Look it up.

• OGClarenceBoddicker
    OGClarenceBoddicker Members Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what the ? is this, can and will somebody shoot this damn ? in the head please, dont even look at the face, just look at the hair, look like some martha stewart old white woman ?

im finally starting to see how crackas look at us, not that they ? matter but we look at ourselves like we so fly others prolly see us as some type of 3rd world, self hating weirdos, the same way i look at dominicans and all them other ? "im not black" racial groups, black women look so tacky and trashy and lost wit this ? on they head

why the ? do you look up to white women when you look so much better than those cavemen, troll under the bridge lookin muthafuckas, it aint a white woman alive that could take away from the beauty of a black woman in any department, seriously, why so backwards, why do we have such a ? nordic european idea of beauty, imo, white women are the ugliest women in the world

is it growin up watchin these cracka ass movies and barbie dolls a suttin wtf, when did this weave ? just get stupid like this to the point where we throwin weave in babies heads and ? at birth, like black people just dont got the ability to grow hair, had to be the 90s, its ? walkin around wit long, natural dreads but somehow our women figure its impossible for them to grow hair? what happened between the 70s and the 90s? was it ? ? was it the ? ? !?!!?
    45th+NAACP+Image+Awards+Presented+TV+One+Portraits+T_dTX4Ul5Kpl.jpg

• Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This ? rants are hilarious
    214.gif
  • jono
    ? still on this huh?

I guess prejudice and discrimination don't exist, only racism exists.

What is prejudice?
    What is discrimination?
    What is racism?
    What is the difference between them?

Prejudice = pre-judge, beliefs about a person held based on the group they belong to
    Examples: "women can't drive", "blacks don't read", " all Asians know Kung fu"

Discrimination = treating people differently because they belong to a certain group (beliefs + actions)
    Examples: women should pay more for health insurance, you must be 18 years old to vote

Racism = discrimination(beliefs + action[power]) based on race.
    Examples: the internment of the Japanese during WWII, police officers pulling over Black drivers at a rate much higher than other races

The difference is that prejudices are something everyone has. You may dislike whites but not do them any harm because either you can't or the dislike is not that great.

In order to discriminate you must openly take actions based on prejudiced beliefs and if those are based on race then it is racist.

Recap: racism = prejudice + power (actions) or discrimination based on race. (This is also true for ageism, sexism etc)

Using racist colloquially is fine. We can say Bill O'Reilly is a racist in normal conversation and it's all good but if I were writing a scholarly paper on it I'd say he was prejudiced or flatly call him a bigot. To my knowledge he hasn't actively done anything against black people except express his own system of beliefs...now could spreading that system of beliefs in itself be racist? That's open for discussion because he does have power and a bully pulpit that he uses when he wants.

The principle idea here is that you never know what someone's beliefs are you can only make inferences. To assume you KNOW someone's beliefs due to inferences is wrong headed, it's much better if you have a solid example.
  • LUClEN
    ? still on this huh?

I guess prejudice and discrimination don't exist, only racism exists.

What is prejudice?
    What is discrimination?
    What is racism?
    What is the difference between them?

Prejudice = pre-judge, beliefs about a person held based on the group they belong to

Discrimination = treating people differently because they belong to a certain group (beliefs + actions)
    Examples: women should pay more for health insurance, you must be 18 years old to vote

Racism = discrimination(beliefs + action[power]) based on race.
    Examples: the internment of the Japanese during WWII, police officers pulling over Black drivers at a rate much higher than other races

The difference is that prejudices are something everyone has. You may dislike whites but not do them any harm because either you can't or the dislike is not that great.

In order to discriminate you must openly take actions based on prejudiced beliefs and if those are based on race then it is racist.

Recap: racism = prejudice + power (actions) or discrimination based on race. (This is also true for ageism, sexism etc)

Using racist colloquially is fine. We can say Bill O'Reilly is a racist in normal conversation and it's all good but if I were writing a scholarly paper on it I'd say he was prejudiced or flatly call him a bigot. To my knowledge he hasn't actively done anything against black people except express his own system of beliefs...now could spreading that system of beliefs in itself be racist? That's open for discussion because he does have power and a bully pulpit that he uses when he wants.

The principle idea here is that you never know what someone's beliefs are you can only make inferences. To assume you KNOW someone's beliefs due to inferences is wrong headed, it's much better if you have a solid example.

There are scholars who would say he is racist simply for being a White American and receiving the benefits and privileges that come along with it.
  • Bodhi

These are stereotypes, not examples of prejudice. prejudice is preconceived opinions. "all Asians know kung fu" is not an opinion. It is presented as fact; an image.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SWAMPGOD wrote: »
    was it ? ? was it the ? ? !?!!?

This random ass rhetorical question had me rolling
  • jono
    Stereotypes are based on prejudices.
  • LUClEN

These are stereotypes, not examples of prejudice. prejudice is preconceived opinions. "all Asians know kung fu" is not an opinion. It is presented as fact; an image.

That does not mean it cannot also be someone's opinion.
  • Bodhi

Yeah, if your opinion is that race has a hierarchical structure, that is racist belief. If you hold racist beliefs, whether you act on them or not, you are racist.
  • jono

Yeah, if your opinion is that race has a hierarchical structure, that is racist belief. If you hold racist beliefs, whether you act on them or not, you are racist.
    One doesn't normally label themselves something like racist, how would I know someone is racist?

• Bodhi

One doesn't normally label themselves something like racist, how would I know someone is racist?

Words that indirectly state their racism.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yall need to stop doin drugs.
  • Bodhi

No, prejudice is an unreasonable dislike or negative (preconceived) judgment about someone. If I say all Asians practice kung fu, that's not based on any negative opinion.

All Asians practice kung fu (stereotype)
    I hate Asians (prejudice)
    and Asians are inferior to black people (racist)
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Exactly

I often say stereotypes may be misguided but the kicker is what you say think or feel next..

Even though in some cases it can be one in the same.
  • Bodhi
    Similarly, someone could say

women can't drive (stereotype)
    women are unreasonable childish people (prejudice)
    and women are inferior to men (sexist)
  • LUClEN

No, prejudice is an unreasonable dislike or negative (preconceived) judgment about someone. If I say all Asians practice kung fu, that's not based on any negative opinion.

All Asians practice kung fu (stereotype)
    I hate Asians (prejudice)
    and Asians are inferior to black people (racist)

Prejudice does not have to be negative it's just a preconceived opinion that is not based on reason or actual experience.