No evidence of modern forgery in ancient text mentioning ‘Jesus’s wife’

Comments

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jesus is ? and man, the son of ? and the son of man
  • zombie
    Jesus forgives sins in multiple places in the bible.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeshua said man can do the same as him
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    zombie wrote: »

Yeah you guys are right, but what do you think about the context here:
    Matthew 9:4 Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, “Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? 5 Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? 6 But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the paralyzed man, “Get up, take your mat and go home.” 7 Then the man got up and went home. 8 When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised ? , who had given such authority to man.

It does confirm that Jesus had the authority to forgive sins, but it also implies that such authority was something that was given to him by ? and not intrinsically his from the start.
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They in here playa hatin on Jesus...

• caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    caddo man wrote: »
    Most Christians have they own way of seeing it but when I found out that the romans picked what was going to be in the bible. The notion of ? writing the bible sound ? hell to me. I take it as it is. The greatest novel ever assembled.

The sovereignty of ? ruled over the councils. Stop with the Romans did it nonsense. Athanasius, who was African, had the cannon already established, which was the tool that the councils used when they met and agreed. Oh but the ROMANS THE ROMANS.......Scust......The same ones always hollering whitey did it, be the same ones trying to deny the rightful place of Africans in history because of intellectual dishonesty and laziness. Research before you comment. Amen.

So you are going to discount the conflicts of different sects back then that disagreed with the notion of Jesus being equal with ? . Those doctrine have been suppressed and were said to be rogue by the ruling church. Later military force was used to convert those same sects. Different churches had different doctrine based on the writings they held dear.

The early christian writings during those times were long forgotten stories, depictions and non-fiction. Stories that were examples of best sellers today. Writers were trusted men of religious background or respected standings in the community. Some stories rotated has sermons or subjects of sermon fraught with different traditions and concepts. Some were cataloged while others were verbally handed down. That was a very common practice back then. When the council convened they brought all types of christian scholars from the farthest reaches of the kingdom. Especially from Alexandria, Egypt. The library of Alexandria was there. Which had one of the largest collections of papyrus scrolls and copies of stories.

Now we get to Athanasius of Alexandria. A believer of the divine son concept. He disagreed with the notion of the father's divinity over the Son. His cannon was of the his beliefs hand picked by man over the beliefs of others. Later exiled himself. The bible has been influenced by man all thru out history. Men of greed. Constantine, his son, King Henry, The church of England, The early Popes, etc.

The bible is an example of "to the victors goes the spoils".

So I reiterate my stance that the bible is not the word of ? but of men. Great men with ideas and understandings that were influenced by the concept of a loving ? that I myself take heed of their lessons. Fiction or Non-fiction it is still the Greatest novel ever written.

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    So, of all the things that supposedly is no evidence for such as Jesus dying and rising again, people are willing to accept "evidence" that Jesus was married.

It just something about when someone claims to be divine that strikes a nerve with us. We look at our lives seeing it as less than perfect and we find it suspect to make the type of claims that Jesus did and to do the things he did in the Bible. For someone to say he is the Son of ? , be ? born, sinless and such makes us want to put such claims to the test. But I think we are going about it all wrong.

Let's just say that it is possible to maintain a moral perfection. Does that excuse man from the curse of sin? According to the Bible, it doesn't matter how good a life someone live, they still have deal with sin. Jesus didn't come into the world show just how "moral" he could be though he was that. He came to deal with sin.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    First of all, what does sin have to do with being married?

Second...
    So, of all the things that supposedly is no evidence for such as Jesus dying and rising again, people are willing to accept "evidence" that Jesus was married.

Think about that for a minute and you might have your answer... one of those things is not only actually possible but it actually happens really often. The rising from the dead thing... not so much.
  • zombie

Yeah you guys are right, but what do you think about the context here:
    Matthew 9:4 Knowing their thoughts, Jesus said, “Why do you entertain evil thoughts in your hearts? 5 Which is easier: to say, ‘Your sins are forgiven,’ or to say, ‘Get up and walk’? 6 But I want you to know that the Son of Man has authority on earth to forgive sins.” So he said to the paralyzed man, “Get up, take your mat and go home.” 7 Then the man got up and went home. 8 When the crowd saw this, they were filled with awe; and they praised ? , who had given such authority to man.

It does confirm that Jesus had the authority to forgive sins, but it also implies that such authority was something that was given to him by ? and not intrinsically his from the start.

Well, it makes sense that the people who saw that would say that while he was alive most people did not believe him when he said he was who he was, also this is only one example of him doing this. Christ is ? and that is how the gospels presents him not just a prophet or a man blessed with super powers
  • alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    First of all, what does sin have to do with being married?

Second...

Think about that for a minute and you might have your answer... one of those things is not only actually possible but it actually happens really often. The rising from the dead thing... not so much.

I don't see how you gather that I am saying that sin has anything to do with marriage. I'm saying that there are people out there that want to dispute that Jesus never existed at all...yet alone die and rise from the dead. Now people want to say he was married.

Sure, I don't believe it is naturally possible to die and rise again. But it is possible for it to be a supernatural occurrence. My concern though isn't so much whether people can or can't die and rise again. It's wanting to know the reason for why it had to take someone dying and rising. Why did Jesus say to his disciples that he must die and rise again.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BIGG WILL wrote: »

If they hate then let em hate while you watch ya blessings pile up....

3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of ? without effect?

4 ? forbid: yea, let ? be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.
  • Bodhi
    Bodhi Members Posts: 7,932 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Judah Back wrote: »

kobe-bryant-lol-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-1660.gif
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

3 For what if some did not believe? shall their unbelief make the faith of ? without effect?

4 ? forbid: yea, let ? be true, but every man a liar; as it is written, That thou mightest be justified in thy sayings, and mightest overcome when thou art judged.

Biblical self ether, seeing as the bible was written by men, for men.
  • Black Boy King
    @VIBE If I GHOSTwrite (do you see?) a song for you, and you go forth with putting out the song as if you wrote it, does it nullify the fact that I AM the author?

Understand, whether I physically wrote it or verbally spoke it to you for you to write, either way I AM the author of the idea.
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @VIBE If I GHOSTwrite (do you see?) a song for you, and you go forth with putting out the song as if you wrote it, does it nullify the fact that I AM the author?

Understand, whether I physically wrote it or verbally spoke it to you for you to write, either way I AM the author of the idea.

If your ? can't see that men wrote it for men, then you're more ignorant than I thought.
  • Black Boy King
  • Bodhi
    If men didn't write it, but ? did, the errors in the Bible were ? -made. How does that happen?
  • Black Boy King
    edited April 2014
    Errors? Show me one.
  • Bodhi
    Okay. The Bible says that ? created two great lights in the sky to separate day from night. The sun produces light but the moon does not. I guess ? saw the moon in the sky and mistook the reflected light as the moon producing its own light.
  • zombie
    Bodhi wrote: »
    Okay. The Bible says that ? created two great lights in the sky to separate day from night. The sun produces light but the moon does not. I guess ? saw the moon in the sky and mistook the reflected light as the moon producing its own light.

The moon reflects light so it would look like there is another light in the sky this is not an error depending on what your perspective is.
  • Bodhi
    The Bible claims bats are birds but we all now know that they are not.
  • BIGG WILL
    BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭

The moon reflects light so it would look like there is another light in the sky this is not an error depending on what your perspective is.

Yes, but the Bible is often said to inspired by, or even written by ? . How could ? make such a mistake?
  • Bodhi

yeah, from the perspective of someone who knows better, the moon is not a light.
  • zombie

yeah, from the perspective of someone who knows better, the moon is not a light.

YEAH but if you wanted to explain something to a primitive person you just might say that it's a light.
  • Bodhi
    To a human, it LOOKS like a light. Pay attention to your wording. It LOOKS LIKE, but is not.