Are comic book movies as good as some of your favorite comic books?

Options
indyman87
indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
Did they match scenes or issues from your favorite all time comic book runs? If so which ones?

Comments

• Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Movies are never as good as the books imo.

Mainly because when im reading the book, im seeing these stills from the artist that may give me an idea of what these characters look like, and as im reading im making my own movie in my head. When i see a movie about the comic, im seeing someone elses vision and it usually leaves me disappointed.

If i had the equipment and funding and a little film making experience I could make a kick ass comic movie, but im sure we all feel that way.
  • jaxn
    jaxn Members Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nah..the only thing about the movies is finally seeing these guys on the big screen. If they actually used some of the story arcs in the books, I believe some of the films would be even better.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's too hard to compare. It's all about what medium you prefer better. When you squeeze a story arc that might span a dozen issues into a 2 hour movie, you're going to lose some detail and important plot exposition, so in that regard movies will always come up a little short. However, action sequences and other things are just better in movies than in comics. Even the best drawn things don't match being able to see it in motion.

Comic cartoons are a good happy medium though, and I think I enjoy those more than the comics and live action movies.
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Action sequences could be far more inventive & amazing in comic books than in movies, far more. There is no budget or adhering to the laws of physics.

I don't like superhero movies that's a big reason I don't go to the movies as often as I used to cause that's all you'll find at the flicks besides movies based on young adult novels. I enjoy some movies based on non-superhero comic books but I greatly prefer the comic books 9 times out of 10.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    It doesn't matter how inventive the sequences are. Comics are an inferior medium for presenting sequences that depict action.
  • Broddie
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Tell that to the artists that get constant acclaim for penciling some of the most engaging action sequences in any medium.

I'd rather follow a coherent actions sequence penciled by a Frank Quietly or a Greg Capullo than sit through the shaky cam action in something like Captain America: The Winter Soldier or Batman Begins.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    What you said doesn't even make sense. Lots of artists get acclaim for penciling riveting action sequences, but nobody goes around comparing drawn sequences to live sequences in the manner you're suggesting.

And your opinion is irrelevant in this matter. You've already made it clear you're extremely biased against comic book movies, and that's fine. What works for you works for you, but clearly most comic fans aren't like you. Else they wouldn't go see these movies 2 and 3 times while they are in the theaters. What would be the point of seeing it even once if you thought the comics were superior to the movies in every conceivable way?
  • Broddie
    Options
    No my opinion is only irrelevant because it doesn't fall in line with yours.
    but nobody goes around comparing drawn sequences to live sequences

Says the guy that stated that movies have superior action sequences to comic books like it's a fact.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Broddie wrote: »
    No my opinion is only irrelevant because it doesn't fall in line with yours.
    but nobody goes around comparing drawn sequences to live sequences

Says the guy that stated that movies have superior action sequences to comic books like it's a fact.

No your opinion is irrelevant because you've already made it clear you can't be objective in a discussion like this. You pretty much rail against everything associated with comic book movies, so it wouldn't make put much stock in what you say on this matter. Hell, when people have ventured to ask you why you feel the way you do or try to hold a discussion about it, you wave it off because you don't even want to really have a conversation about the merits of the movies. No matter what the subject is, if a person comes into a discussion with that kinda hangup, their opinions don't really mean much as far as the discussion goes.

Way to parse what I said with the quote too. You left of the "like you're suggesting" and that's kinda vital and pretty much kills your who supposed retort. I'm comparing the capabilities of one medium catching an action sequence the capabilities of another medium. You were claiming that there are artists whose drawings are acclaimed across the various types of media, and very few people do anything like that. And whether you like drawn action sequences vs live action sequences is a matter of opinion, however it's a fact that moving media will always allow for more accurate and natural portrayals of actions sequences because they are more conducive to the very nature of those sequences.
  • Broddie
    edited April 2014
    Options
    It's not a fact that "moving media will always allow for more accurate and natural portrayals of actions sequences" because there are hundreds of examples of movie media coming up short in properly presenting action with a good sense of geography and sequence progression.

There are ? load of movies where people have 0 clue what is going on during the action because of poor directing, quick cuts and editing. You act as if action movies are always clear and concise which is false. On a still page on the other hand it's easier to gauge what is going on because you can examine the individual panels.

I've watched enough superhero movies throughout the 90's and the 00's to have an informed opinion on the subject. The first time I got disenfranchised with superhero flicks was 2012. The last superhero movie I saw for good was in 2013. That's more than enough time to form an opinion on. Out of all those movies which is a number in the hundreds at this point I could count the times I was impressed by the action sequences in one hand.

Spider-Man 2 train sequence
    Hulk vs. Army in Hulk
    Blade Vs. Vamps in Blade
    Nightcrawler Vs. The Secret Service in X2

That's about it. So my opinion is more so based on that.

Objectively speaking the action in most superhero movies outside of those aren't as dynamic or inventive as the action in the comic books to me because they failed to impress me on that level. Doesn't mean I think something like Batman Begins was overall bad it just had some ? action. Conversely I've never liked Spider-Man 2 as an overall product but that fight with Ock was jaw dropping and hasn't really been replicated in execution and I still revisit it every now and then.

I give props where they are due. Just because I'm over superhero movies and will never bother with them again doesn't mean I can't applaud the merits and flaws of the dozens upon dozens that I have seen to date. So with that said a key flaw of the majority of superhero movies released from 1978 - 2013 to me is that the action came up real short compared to what you will see in the comic books.

I'm not the only person to realize that because whether it's IMDb or Rotten Tomatoes you will see many audience members point out the same observations. This isn't something you'd only see talked about on comic book forums. I see it on movie websites every single day.

Hell if you want to compare moving medium to moving medium then of course superhero cartoons wipe the floor with the movies. It's a product of it being a medium that could get away with a lot more than live action movies when it comes to action sequences just like comic books.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Where did I say that all action sequences are good? There are ? movie sequences just like there are ? and confusing drawn panels in comic books. That doesn't change the fact live movies provide a better basis for action sequences than comic books. I don't understand why this is so hard to understand. A writer can envision an action sequence, and in a live or even animated movie, choreographers can essentially create a 1 to 1 completely accurate representation of that sequence if they are skilled enough. The best a comic book artist can do is create a beautiful 2-D approximation of what that sequence might look like. You're actually telling me you don't see how being able to create an action sequence as it is literally supposed to look isn't at all superior to creating a framed sequence of images from that action sequence. If you can't see that, I don't know what else to say but we can agree to disagree.

And no one knocks you because you find faults with comic book movies. As you noted, lots of us see these faults. But most people don't let these faults, which in many cases are pretty minor, keep them from enjoying the movies.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    the animated movies and animated series be damn close when they're written properly
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? @Broddie‌ is "angry man" from martin
  • evoljeanyes
    evoljeanyes Members Posts: 3,740 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Live action is going replicate live action better than a drawing at its most incoherent...lol

You have to imagine how someones body moves from panel to panel bruh. You may prefer it. But its not the more accurate or comparable. There have been underwhelming scenes and movies. But marvel has been far superior in this phase. They will keep getting better.