Supreme Court rules 6-2. States can ban -Affirmative Action-. The Freedom Ride is over negros.

Options
13»

Comments

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We are resilient people

We will bounce back from this, whitey just hates the fact that we are getting better year after year

the worst nightmare is an educated black man

its sad but honestly anybody that SOLELY depended on that is just foolish

Hard Work, Dedication, Determination, Relentlessness, Fearless>>>>>waiting for a system to give you an advantage

Great post
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Studies seem to show that white women benefitted more from Affirmative Action than racial minorities, so...
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    White men want to marginalize white women as much as they want to marginalize black people.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Affirmative action also applies to veterans and the disabled. I guess nobody else knew that. It's whatever I guess.

• Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dr.Evil wrote: »
    All the ? our ancestors had to go through and fight for is being thrown down the drain by this generation, most of these mfs are too slow to even realize it.

What the Great White Man giveth, the Great White Man taketh away.
  • Arya Tsaddiq
    Arya Tsaddiq Members Posts: 15,334 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Honest question....

How can you even monitor of affirmative action is actually being enforced? if two people are evenly qualified and one happened to be a minority, theoretically they should get chosen. But how would we know that?
  • jono
    Options
    KingSimba wrote: »
    Honest question....

How can you even monitor of affirmative action is actually being enforced? if two people are evenly qualified and one happened to be a minority, theoretically they should get chosen. But how would we know that?
    You wouldn't. The silly racists that always complained about "less qualified" blacks and other groups getting jobs or admissions over them can't really prove it.

You don't know someone else's qualifications or why you didn't get what you were looking for.
  • Jabu_Rule
    edited April 2014
    Options
    From what i gather, there is a quota (or requirements) for affirmative action to show that you have a certain percentage of qualified minorities filling the roles. Another question to ask is, what if there was no minority qualified which was most likely in earlier years with potential for uneven education. Would you have to lower the bar to meet the quota or show that you are putting forward the effort? What if there are no minorities seeking the position (unlikely in this day)?
  • jono
    Options
    White women are considered a minority so I don't think that matters.

Another thing people always get ? up is that affirmative action is NOT A LAW and does not require a quota system.

It prevents discrimination and that's it. It doesn't say you need X amount of blacks, Y amount of women, it just says you can't deny employment or admissions to individuals based on the parameters Civil Rights Act (race, gender, sexual orientation, disability).

The EEOC will still get involved when people can prove they have been discriminated against.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    White women are considered a minority so I don't think that matters.

Another thing people always get ? up is that affirmative action is NOT A LAW and does not require a quota system.

It prevents discrimination and that's it. It doesn't say you need X amount of blacks, Y amount of women, it just says you can't deny employment or admissions to individuals based on the parameters Civil Rights Act (race, gender, sexual orientation, disability).

The EEOC will still get involved when people can prove they have been discriminated against.

Seems difficult to prove outside of someone calling you a ? and making a sexual advance in order for you to get the position. How does Affirmative Action have any teeth?
  • jono
    Options
    The person would file a claim with the EEOC who sues on behalf of whomever on whatever grounds they have.

There's a list of prohibited activities here
    Some are easier to prove than others obviously but that's all it does.

As long as you can still sue on behalf of being discriminated against it's all good, the problem is building a case.
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    Options
    Studies seem to show that white women benefitted more from Affirmative Action than racial minorities, so...

The ruling upheld the voter approved ban on using race and ethnicity as a factor to consider for college admission.

It said nothing about gender so if that was used, it still stands.

California was the first in the country to do this 20 years ago.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/california-bill-reignites-affirmative-action-fight-23434325

The article is a good read but I won't post because few will read it. The end result as of 2014.

In recent statistics, the University of California system said 36 percent of its in-state freshman admissions offers for fall 2014 are to Asian-American students, 29 percent are for Latino students, 27 percent are for white students and 4 percent of offers are to black students

36% are 'asian' which made me think back to the video of the girl in California who was hung out to dry saying there were too many Asians at UCLA..lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNuyDZevKrU&bpctr=1398299240

• MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @Darth Sidious
    In recent statistics, the University of California system said 36 percent of its in-state freshman admissions offers for fall 2014 are to Asian-American students, 29 percent are for Latino students, 27 percent are for white students and 4 percent of offers are to black students

? sad and embarrassing. And we wonder why we ain't got ? ?
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    nytimes.com/2014/04/23/us/supreme-court-michigan-affirmative-action-ban.html?_r=0
    The Supreme Court on Tuesday upheld a Michigan constitutional amendment that bans affirmative action in admissions to the state’s public universities, in a fractured decision that revealed deep divisions among the justices over what role the government should play in protecting racial and ethnic minorities.

The 6-to-2 ruling effectively endorsed similar measures in seven other states and may encourage additional measures banning the use of race in admissions. States that forbid affirmative action in admissions decisions, like Texas, Florida and California, as well as Michigan, have seen a significant drop in the enrollment of black and Hispanic students in their most selective colleges and universities.
    @Darth Sidious

? sad and embarrassing. And we wonder why we ain't got ? ?

But on the bright side, everyone (still) LOVES Black labor.

Representation
    Black Men on Revenue-Generating Sports Teams vs. Black Men in Undergraduate Student Body

University of Michigan
    % OF UNDERGRADUATES 2.4
    % OF BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL TEAMS 58.1
    % DIFFERENCE -55.7

Michigan State University
    % OF UNDERGRADUATES 2.9
    % OF BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL TEAMS 54.4
    % DIFFERENCE -51.5

Florida State University
    % OF UNDERGRADUATES 3.9
    % OF BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL TEAMS 75.4
    % DIFFERENCE -71.5

University of Miami
    % OF UNDERGRADUATES 3.3
    % OF BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL TEAMS 75.7
    % DIFFERENCE -72.4

University of Florida
    % OF UNDERGRADUATES 3.6
    % OF BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL TEAMS 66.6
    % DIFFERENCE -63.0

University of California, Los Angeles
    % OF UNDERGRADUATES 1.4
    % OF BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL TEAMS 48.8
    % DIFFERENCE -47.4

University of California, Berkeley
    % OF UNDERGRADUATES 1.2
    % OF BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL TEAMS 50.6
    % DIFFERENCE -49.3

Stanford University
    % OF UNDERGRADUATES 4.6
    % OF BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL TEAMS 35.2
    % DIFFERENCE -30.7

University of Southern California
    % OF UNDERGRADUATES 2.2
    % OF BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL TEAMS 56.2
    % DIFFERENCE -54.0

Texas A&M University
    % OF UNDERGRADUATES 1.5
    % OF BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL TEAMS 65.2
    % DIFFERENCE -63.7

University of Texas
    % OF UNDERGRADUATES 1.8
    % OF BASKETBALL AND FOOTBALL TEAMS 67.9
    % DIFFERENCE -66.0

Worth reading if interested:

Black Male Student-Athletes and Racial Inequities in NCAA Division I College Sports
    BY SHAUN R. HARPER, COLLIN D. WILLIAMS JR., AND HORATIO W. BLACKMAN

http://www.gse.upenn.edu/equity/sites/gse.upenn.edu.equity/files/publications/Harper_Williams_and_Blackman_(2013).pdf
  • MarcusGarvey
    MarcusGarvey Members Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @cobbland‌

Just in Cali 2011 study.

http://www.collegecampaign.org/files/5613/8619/1254/State_of_Higher_Education_Black.pdf

So basically blacks overrepresented in for profit and community colleges and underrepresented otherwise.

As well, blacks 25-34 aren't as educated as a percentage as those 35-44.

So the younger generation ain't pulling their weight. Aren't taking advantage of the sacrifices made by the Moses generation.
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    I think part of the reason Blacks are underrepresented in those big name schools is because they don't take high school seriously enough. White kids might goof around and do silly stuff in high school, but they still try to make the grade and fill out their resume. A lot of Black kids just plain don't care about school until they graduate and by then it's too late to make yourself attractive to big name schools.
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2014
    Options
    I think part of the reason Blacks are underrepresented in those big name schools is because they don't take high school seriously enough. White kids might goof around and do silly stuff in high school, but they still try to make the grade and fill out their resume. A lot of Black kids just plain don't care about school until they graduate and by then it's too late to make yourself attractive to big name schools.

Powerful post and sadly VERY true. When I went to high school and even elementary, it always saddened me how so many of the African-American kids going to school didn't care enough to actually pay attention in class and focus on learning or even go to tutoring, while the Caribbean and African kids learned, were quiet in class, and were motivated. Same with the Asian kids. I wish more Blacks had the school ethic of Jewish and Asian kids. They don't ? around when it comes to education but too many Blacks do.

I understand the historical reasons for some of this but in 2014, kids need to just stop being lazy and start ? paying attention. So many of the African-American kids were wizards memorizing every rap song in existence, but didn't want to pay attention in math or social studies. It's a sad reality that my mom still sees as a school nurse. It's one of the reasons so many Africans and Caribbeans move ahead of African Americans in school and society.

I hear Africans say much worse, believe me but you're 100% right
  • cobbland
    cobbland Members Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @cobbland‌

Just in Cali 2011 study.

http://www.collegecampaign.org/files/5613/8619/1254/State_of_Higher_Education_Black.pdf

So basically blacks overrepresented in for profit and community colleges and underrepresented otherwise.

So the younger generation ain't pulling their weight. Aren't taking advantage of the sacrifices made by the Moses generation.

Powerful post and sadly VERY true. When I went to high school and even elementary, it always saddened me how so many of the African-American kids going to school didn't care enough to actually pay attention in class and focus on learning or even go to tutoring, while the Caribbean and African kids learned, were quiet in class, and were motivated. Same with the Asian kids. I wish more Blacks had the school ethic of Jewish and Asian kids. They don't ? around when it comes to education but too many Blacks do.

I understand the historical reasons for some of this but in 2014, kids need to just stop being lazy and start ? paying attention. So many of the African-American kids were wizards memorizing every rap song in existence, but didn't want to pay attention in math or social studies. It's a sad reality that my mom still sees as a school nurse. It's one of the reasons so many Africans and Caribbeans move ahead of African Americans in school and society.

Not to excuse Black apathy, but those groups (European Jews and Asians) don't have the collective "American experience" we have (and probably never will).

For example: Urban Prep here in Chicago is rightfully touted for the academic achievements of the young men who attend there (100% acceptance rate into colleges), but even they are having a hard time finding employment in this city where only 8% of young black men (ages 16-19) are employed.

• The Lonious Monk
    Options
    cobbland wrote: »
    Not to excuse Black apathy, but those groups (European Jews and Asians) don't have the collective "American experience" we have (and probably never will).

For example: Urban Prep here in Chicago is rightfully touted for the academic achievements of the young men who attend there (100% acceptance rate into colleges), but even they are having a hard time finding employment in this city where only 8% of young black men (ages 16-19) are employed.

Blacks still have it bad in many ways, but refusing to try is not a solution.
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2014
    Options
    @cobbland‌

Just in Cali 2011 study.

I definitely know how hard it is for young kids, including young Black teenagers to get jobs these days. Many jobs these days would rather hire an illegal or someone who speaks Spanish to do the jobs young Black kids used to do. It's a tough situation and with Democrats and Republicans being eager to grant amnesty to many illegals, the situation is only going to get uglier. MUCH MUCH MUCH UGLIER.... Even then though, the kids, especially young Black kids, gotta focus more on learning in school. Generations are hurting themselves not being focused in school, young Black girls are doing better in school compared to young Black boys, not good
  • Jabu_Rule
    Options
    @cobbland‌

Just in Cali 2011 study.

I definitely know how hard it is for young kids, including young Black teenagers to get jobs these days. Many jobs these days would rather hire an illegal or someone who speaks Spanish to do the jobs young Black kids used to do. It's a tough situation and with Democrats and Republicans being eager to grant amnesty to many illegals, the situation is only going to get uglier. MUCH MUCH MUCH UGLIER.... Even then though, the kids, especially young Black kids, gotta focus more on learning in school. Generations are hurting themselves not being focused in school, young Black girls are doing better in school compared to young Black boys, not good

A lot of people including myself brushed off learning Spanish in school. The best thing to do is to work with their home countries to better their situation there which would in tern benefit us in multiple ways including creating stronger trade partners and allies, but people would think America is interfering again. It's impossible to stop those people from coming over so you may as while benefit while their here by making them pay all the dues and contribute to our economy.
  • kingblaze84
    edited April 2014
    Options
    FuriousOne wrote: »
    @cobbland‌

Just in Cali 2011 study.

A lot of people including myself brushed off learning Spanish in school. The best thing to do is to work with their home countries to better their situation there which would in tern benefit us in multiple ways including creating stronger trade partners and allies, but people would think America is interfering again. It's impossible to stop those people from coming over so you may as while benefit while their here by making them pay all the dues and contribute to our economy.

Making it easier for illegals to get amnesty is only going to ? over Blacks and legal citizens of all races because employers will just hire more illegals for slave wages instead of young kids in high school or college who need work. As more and more illegals get encouraged by America making it easier for illegals to come, young people in high school, college and the uneducated adults of America will see their incomes become stagnant or even lowered because why pay a citizen a minimum wage while you can pay an illegal 5 or 4 bucks an hour?

That policy is only making things harder on a young generation that has it so hard in so many ways. Encouraging MORE illegals to come by granting amnesty is only gonna make young citizens more desperate for income, and when they see businesses reject them for illegals, guess what's gonna happen? More young kids getting in the drug game and joining prostitution. Don't ask me, ask the tons of kids in Chicago who can't get legal jobs anymore. Granting amnesty will only encourage more illegals to come, and will cause more and more young people to give up hope for the future. HORRIBLE idea.