Project Ara

Options
The Lonious Monk
The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
Any of ya'll up on this? It sounds like a pretty dope concept. Basically, they are trying to make it so you can custom build your own smartphone the same way you can with your desktop. That'll be some revolutionary ? if they get it going.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQqudiUdGuo

Comments

• DNB1
    DNB1 Members Posts: 19,704 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    Upgradability is key, but how many of us actuallt fully customize our own desktops in the first place?
  • ConflictSucks
    ConflictSucks Members Posts: 43
    Options
    Phonebloks comes to life
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    Upgradability is key, but how many of us actuallt fully customize our own desktops in the first place?

Phones are more personal devices than computers though. Everybody's desktops do the same thing. They sit on a desk and compute. There is more variation in how people use their smartphones, and so there is more likelihood that people will use the option to build the phone they want.
  • ElQueefo
    ElQueefo Members Posts: 71
    Options
    Upgrading will be the biggest draw for this imo
  • The Lonious Monk
    Options
    That's a good point. The phone carriers might not like this ? . If you can simply upgrade your phone by switching out parts that would eliminate the need to buy a new subsidized phone which is how these carriers manage to keep people locked in contracts.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options

Phones are more personal devices than computers though. Everybody's desktops do the same thing. They sit on a desk and compute. There is more variation in how people use their smartphones, and so there is more likelihood that people will use the option to build the phone they want.

Well I kept a dusty ass Dell cuz I was able to update the harddrive, processor, memory while updating my software. Basically if I could do the equivalent for my cell phone its a possibility in the future. Right now I pretty much the sd card, and im sure my droid will update with no functionality issues or major slowdowns due to insufficient ram.

We'll see how it goes.