Athletes you KNOW would've spoken up about Donald Sterling's racist-ass tape if they were playing...

2»

Comments

• Chef_Taylor
    Chef_Taylor Members Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    T-Rel wrote: »
    David West and Richard Sherman certified real ? .

Imma give it up for Keith Olberman also...he stay puttin honkies in their place.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ? i didnt know David West was that trill. Dude called the ? "broken", that cuts deep.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Allen iverson would have spoken out
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sonny Hill went H.A.M on WIP today and added that Wilt Chamberlain def woulda spoke out.

Still waiting for Bill Russell. Dude literally refused to sign white people's autographs back in the day, so you KNOW he got some words coming...

Kareem Abdul Jabbar's article was etherous. Damn I wish he had a blog. He need to become a columnist at The Atlantic or The New Republic or summin man:

Yes, I’m angry, too, but not just about the sins of Donald Sterling. I’ve got a list. But let’s start with Sterling. I used to work for him, back in 2000 when I coached for the Clippers for three months. He was congenial, even inviting me to his daughter’s wedding. Nothing happened or was said to indicate he suffered from IPMS (Irritable Plantation Master Syndrome). Since then, a lot has been revealed about Sterling’s business practices:

2006: U.S. Dept. of Justice sued Sterling for housing discrimination. Allegedly, he said, “Black tenants smell and attract vermin.”
    2009: He reportedly paid $2.73 million in a Justice Dept. suit alleging he discriminated against blacks, Hispanics, and families with children in his rentals. (He also had to pay an additional nearly $5 million in attorneys fees and costs due to his counsel’s “sometimes outrageous conduct.”)
    2009: Clippers executive (and one of the greatest NBA players in history) sued for employment discrimination based on age and race.

And now the poor guy’s girlfriend (undoubtedly ex-girlfriend now) is on tape cajoling him into revealing his racism. Man, what a winding road she led him down to get all of that out. She was like a sexy nanny playing “pin the fried chicken on the ? .” She blindfolded him and spun him around until he was just blathering all sorts of incoherent racist sound bites that had the news media peeing themselves with glee.

They caught big game on a slow news day, so they put his head on a pike, dubbed him Lord of the Flies, and danced around him whooping.

I don’t blame them. I’m doing some whooping right now. Racists deserve to be paraded around the modern town square of the television screen so that the rest of us who believe in the American ideals of equality can be reminded that racism is still a disease that we haven’t yet licked.

What bothers me about this whole Donald Sterling affair isn’t just his racism. I’m bothered that everyone acts as if it’s a huge surprise. Now there’s all this dramatic and very public rending of clothing about whether they should keep their expensive Clippers season tickets. Really? All this other stuff I listed above has been going on for years and this ridiculous conversation with his girlfriend is what puts you over the edge? That’s the smoking gun?

He was discriminating against black and Hispanic families for years, preventing them from getting housing. It was public record. We did nothing. Suddenly he says he doesn’t want his girlfriend posing with Magic Johnson on Instagram and we bring out the torches and rope. Shouldn’t we have all called for his resignation back then?

Shouldn’t we be equally angered by the fact that his private, intimate conversation was taped and then leaked to the media? Didn’t we just call to task the NSA for intruding into American citizen’s privacy in such an un-American way? Although the impact is similar to Mitt Romney’s comments that were secretly taped, the difference is that Romney was giving a public speech. The making and release of this tape is so sleazy that just listening to it makes me feel like an accomplice to the crime. We didn’t steal the cake but we’re all gorging ourselves on it.

Make no mistake: Donald Sterling is the villain of this story. But he’s just a handmaiden to the bigger evil. In our quest for social justice, we shouldn’t lose sight that racism is the true enemy. He’s just another ? with more money than brains.

So, if we’re all going to be outraged, let’s be outraged that we weren’t more outraged when his racism was first evident. Let’s be outraged that private conversations between people in an intimate relationship are recorded and publicly played. Let’s be outraged that whoever did the betraying will probably get a book deal, a sitcom, trade recipes with Hoda and Kathie Lee, and soon appear on Celebrity Apprentice and Dancing with the Stars.

The big question is “What should be done next?” I hope Sterling loses his franchise. I hope whoever made this illegal tape is sent to prison. I hope the Clippers continue to be unconditionally supported by their fans. I hope the Clippers realize that the ramblings of an 80-year-old man jealous of his young girlfriend don’t define who they are as individual players or as a team. They aren’t playing for Sterling—they’re playing for themselves, for the fans, for showing the world that neither basketball, nor our American ideals, are defined by a few pathetic men or women.

Let’s use this ? incident to remind ourselves of the old saying: “Eternal vigilance is the price of freedom.” Instead of being content to punish Sterling and go back to sleep, we need to be inspired to vigilantly seek out, expose, and eliminate racism at its first signs.

http://time.com/79590/donald-sterling-kareem-abdul-jabbar-racism/
  • Swiffness!
    Swiffness! Members Posts: 10,128 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2014
    MOLBYYB.png

like seriously, even the cracka-ass crackas still defending Cliven Bundy are trashing Sterling, far as i can tell.

Kia, State Farm, Anheuser-Busch, ? America, Carmax, AQUAhydrate, Amtrak, Sprint, Corona, Yokohama Tire Corporation, Mercedes-Benz all suspended or ENDED their sponsorships already

at this rate The Clippers seriously may not have ANY corporate sponsors/partners left by Friday.

It ain't even a issue of "speaking out" at this point, its just a issue of CALLING WATER WET.
  • eyes low
    eyes low Members Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i dont understand whats the difference from active players and non active players speaking out. just bc your not playing anymore doesnt mean you cant speak out people will still listen
  • Tommy bilfiger
    Tommy bilfiger Members Posts: 22,675 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Crimson11 wrote: »
    I almost feel like MJ's response seemed forced. It almost didnt feel genuine.

And you know that how?! people act like MJ hates black people,
    when I just think he is a ? talking ? , if people read the Jordan rules they would know how he felt about racists, when he went to a golf course and they discriminated against him, he said, "one day I'm going to retire and have a golf course that says no whites allowed."

Because they're impressionable sheep bruh.They repeat what they're told.These same ? think its jordans fault ? ? each other for his ugly ass shoes when it's a community problem.? ? each other for iphones,cars,jewelry etc but nobodys blaming apple like they blame michael jordan.
  • T-Rel
    T-Rel Members Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more Blake Griffin Kia commercials? Lol
  • zerocool
    Swiffness! wrote: »
    MOLBYYB.png

like seriously, even the cracka-ass crackas still defending Cliven Bundy are trashing Sterling, far as i can tell.

Kia, State Farm, Anheuser-Busch, ? America, Carmax, AQUAhydrate, Amtrak, Sprint, Corona, Yokohama Tire Corporation, Mercedes-Benz all suspended or ENDED their sponsorships already

at this rate The Clippers seriously may not have ANY corporate sponsors/partners left by Friday.

It ain't even a issue of "speaking out" at this point, its just a issue of CALLING WATER WET.

Kobe talking ? like if he was drafted by clippers and offered 100 million knowing sterlings old housing history....he will not play?
  • Crimson11
    Crimson11 Members Posts: 107 ✭✭
    wasn't Kobe seriously considering playing for the clippers when he was a FA?
  • zerocool

Yeah.....back in 2007......when he wanted a real team.....kobe wanted bulls.....clips or spurs if lakers never rebuilt the right way
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Nah. He was using the threat of signing with them as a bargaining Chip. Dr. Buss fell for that ? .
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    nujerz84 wrote: »
    The ? , Jordan, already said "no comment".

#jordanisacoon

Were you get that from??
    I look at this from two perspectives – as a current owner and a former player. As an owner, I’m obviously disgusted that a fellow team owner could hold such sickening and offensive views.

I’m confident that Adam Silver will make a full investigation and take appropriate action quickly.

As a former player, I’m completely outraged.

There is no room in the NBA - or anywhere else - for the kind of racism and hatred that Mr. Sterling allegedly expressed.

I am appalled that this type of ignorance still exists within our country and at the highest levels of our sport.

In a league where the majority of players are African-American, we cannot and must not tolerate discrimination at any level.

Espn radio, originally when Jordan was contacted that Saturday,he was contacted and either him or his publicist for him said "no comment". This was when all the elite players of past and present such as Lebron and Kobe who quickly responded. Either later that night or the next day Jordan was smart enough to take a stand against Sterling.

I'm sure Google has the timeline.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/26/michael-jordan-declines-comment-on-donald-sterling/

Michael Jordan declines comment on Donald Sterling

Dan Feldman

Apr 26, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT

18 Comments

Getty Images

The legacy of “Republicans buy sneakers, too” – even if Michael Jordan never actually said it – lives on.

Jordan, now the Charlotte Bobcats owner, is again avoiding controversy. This time, it’s Donald Sterling’s alleged racism.

Times have changed since Jordan’s heyday. The NBA’s biggest stars, LeBron James and Kobe Bryant, both spoke outagainst Sterling today.

Jordan is not required to give his opinion on the issue, though if NBA owners have at all been told not to comment, that didn’t stop the Heat’s Micky Arison or the Spurs’ Peter Holt. Jordan could have done the same.

He chose not to.

That doesn’t mean he condones what Sterling allegedly said, and he could always offer his opinion later.

But it says something that Jordan initially declined comment when LeBron and Kobe did not. How NBA superstars handle controversy has changed, and it will be interesting to see how the league responds to that shift.

http://twitter.com/intent/retweet?tweet_id=460193583505874944