Does hip hop music have to be lyrical to be considered great?

2»

Comments

• luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Nope. Some people like Canibus are lyrical as hell but weren't saying nothing. I know some might hate that, but Method Man was considered great and was great with Wu and Tical and even Tical2000, but really he ain't never said nothing worth hearing content wise nor did Snoop outside of a couple of songs. I"m just naming a couple people considered great that really didn't ? you with content and heavy lyrics and rhyme schemes. People should stop blaming the south for not being lyrical cause you don't have to be lyrical to be great but it damn sure helps
  • luke1733
    People I named were at one time great but they had a bunch of lyrics that weren't content based. Basically, there a bunch of lyrical people that suck. Jay electronica is lyrical as they come but I just get sick of his music and can't consider him great. Chino was probably one of the most lyrical, but damn if those lyrics took paying too much attention and sometime you want to just ride and chill and hear someone flow on a beat without making a point or message
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I ain't know my thread made it into Allhiphop Editorials in 2012.... I couldn't get no props?

i dont even remember if i typed anything in the OP, homie done edited it out :/. thats ? man...
  • luke1733
    I gotta ride off Canibus. He did talk about a lot. I gotta take back on that one, but sometime he was just making words rhyme without no point at all
  • BarreGoff
    BarreGoff Members Posts: 326 ✭✭
    I don't think so..