CM Punk's Legacy If He Never Comes Back Vs If He Does Return

Options
Idiopathic Joker
Idiopathic Joker Members, Moderators Posts: 45,691 Regulator
Was reading about this online. Punk is one of the most popular wrestlers in the world. How will his staying gone vs coming back affect his legacy?

Will it be another Warrior vs WWE Feud with neither side making contact for years?

Will he get an almost cult like following if he stays gone?

Does he need to come back to cement his future status as a legend?

Will fans forget about Punk in the long run?

What y'all think?

Comments

• VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I have no problem w why he wants time off but I think the way he chose to do it was a ? move.

He's getting married next month, he's been having a ball being off, I don't think he's gonna return. He's been on the road for years and he finally has his own time to do whatever he wants.

Is he a legend? No.

Being over ≠ legend.

I don't know if he can cement a legacy, though.

• Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    I have no problem w why he wants time off but I think the way he chose to do it was a ? move.

He's getting married next month, he's been having a ball being off, I don't think he's gonna return. He's been on the road for years and he finally has his own time to do whatever he wants.

Is he a legend? No.

Being over ≠ legend.

I don't know if he can cement a legacy, though.

You think he can still become a legend if he returns? Or do you think he's an overrated fad
  • sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Yeah, I think it will affect his legacy if he doesn't return especially if he never wrestles again period. Then again, even if he did wrestle for another company, there not many mainstream promotions that would give him the opportunity to be on TV like WWE did other then TNA, which I highly doubt he would end up at.

Imo, he went about the WWE thing the wrong way from a professional standpoint. When he walked out, it wasn't like he had something major on the back burner like having a role in a major movie or something. Other then a few appearances here and there at stuff like UFC events and The Walking Dead TV show, he's basically been doing next to nothing to keep his star power hot.

Now, I know his WWE contact prevents him from doing certain things, but if he really wanted to be done with WWE, why not just honor your contact, wait for it to expire, and move on to something else. Instead, he's burning bridges and potentially hurting his legacy. Even if he didn't want to do anything else but just retire and get married, if he had just honored his contact, his legacy wouldn't even be in question.

Instead, now the WWE is doing petty ? like Photoshopping him out of images. I wouldn't even be surprised if the WWE decided in the near future to have someone move ahead of him as one of the longest reigning WWE champions just as a "? you".

But hey, maybe Punk just don't give a ? . He's still rich and he's smashing AJ. I can't feel sorry for him.

• jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We shall see when the contract expires what was going on. I doubt he speaks on it until then.

I think that component of what happened is necessary to make a judgment on his future legacy. There are conflicting stories of what's going on from his retirement to him being injured or being burnt out and it's all being kept quiet. I don't see it becoming a Warrior kind of thing, hopefully it won't.

As far as looking at his career right now hes done about as much as he can do. The only thing he hasn't done was win a rumble match.

I don't know what the objective criteria would be to consider someone a legend but he has done more than others that people would consider "legends" and been in that top tier spot longer than most so I don't think he will be forgotten unless WWE goes out of their way to erase him but even with them being ? at him right now he still has better standing than some guys on the current roster.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think he's a legend if u add in his indy work with what he accomplished with the odds against him in WWE, at least borderline, maybe he does need to come back to cement it tho. i think his popularity may not rise, but probably wont fall either, the pop when he first comes back(yea i know, as big an if as ever) will be through the roof. maybe he left the wrong way, but i kinda understand if he was burned out or felt like it was ? going on.
  • RobCoLife
    RobCoLife Members Posts: 1,376 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Punk will go to TNA work a lighter schedule.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    Options
    At the time I was the only one who said CMPunk was in the wrong for "taking his ball home". Now it seems like the general consensus here.
  • DOPEdweebz
    DOPEdweebz Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 29,364 Regulator
    edited May 2014
    Options
    If he does absolutely nothing he's a legend in my book. He's done more in a six year WWE run than 90% of wrestlers. All he's missing is a Royal Rumble win.
  • Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    RobCoLife wrote: »

If he goes to tna, you'll never see him in the wwe again lol. Plus, with how tna is being booked, he'll just leave there too
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Options
    NOT A LEGEND

ALWAYS THOUGHT HE LEFT LIKE A ?

• its....JOHN B
    its....JOHN B Members Posts: 19,830 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Since the only thing he hasnt done is win a rumble, then there isn't a better time for him to come back, and that's plenty of time to get over whatever he's crying about
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No he won't. Till this day he's extremely bitter about how he got treated over there 11 years ago.

On to the subject his legacy is already cemented in history. Went from the bottom of the bottom to becoming the longest reigning WWE champ of the last 25 years. Nothing could take that away from him. Even WWE itself trying to retcon the truth.
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • sobek
    sobek Members Posts: 5,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

So light it won't even exist

•   Colin$mackabi$h
    Colin$mackabi$h Members Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    He should retire now, he will still be a legend.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how long has punk been gone??

with the internet age....this ? is much different than normal situations.......

• Idiopathic Joker
    Options
    DWO wrote: »
    how long has punk been gone??

with the internet age....this ? is much different than normal situations.......

Since the rumble
  • Angeles1son85
    Angeles1son85 Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Leaving stable financially put in his work> leaving old and tired and returning lookin all flabby and sick
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    - I was asked today by the Chicago Tribune if @CMPunk deserved to be in the top 25 of the all time great wrestlers. I said that all these “All Time Top” whatever lists are overly subjective but my list would be the talents who I would want in my company if I owned a wrestling organization. By the way, that will never, EVER, happen. Nonetheless, I’d absolutely want Punk on my team so therefore under my criteria he’s a top 25 guy. He’s too versatile, too skilled, an excellent hero or villain, can talk, has a great work ethic and is one of the smarter minds I’ve been around.

I was also asked if CM Punk abruptly leaving WWE would adversely affect his legacy. My answer, a simple “Hell, no.”

http://wrestling-edge.com/jim-ross-blog-cm-punk-top-25-wrestler-owen-harts-tragic-passing-wwe-stock/