Congress to end door to door mail delivery for millions

Options
Black Boy King
Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited May 2014 in The Social Lounge
Hopefully if they forgot to get your input on this then this won't have any affect on you

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/proposal-stop-door-door-mail-millions-23812545
WASHINGTON — Millions of Americans would no longer get mail delivered to their door but would have to go to communal or curbside boxes instead under a proposal advancing through Congress.

The Republican-controlled House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, on an 18-13 party-line vote, approved a bill Wednesday to direct the U.S. Postal Service to convert 15 million addresses over the next decade to the less costly, but also less convenient delivery method.

Democrats objected to the plan, and efforts in recent years to win its adoption have failed.

"I think it's a lousy idea," Rep. Stephen Lynch, D-Mass., said. Other lawmakers said it wouldn't work in urban areas where there's no place on city streets to put banks of "cluster boxes" with separate compartments for each address. People with disabilities who have difficulty leaving their homes could get waivers, and people who still want delivery to their door could pay extra for it — something Lynch derided as "a delivery tax."

The measure falls far short of a comprehensive overhaul most officials agree is needed to solve the postal service's financial problems. The committee's chairman, Rep. Darrell Issa, R-Calif., acknowledged that at the outset but said it "provides an interim opportunity to achieve some significant cost savings."

Converting to communal or curbside delivery would save $2 billion annually, Issa said, quoting from estimates that door delivery costs $380 annually per address compared with $240 for curbside and $170 for centralized methods. He said less than 1 percent of all addresses nationwide would undergo a delivery change annually and that communal boxes offer a safe, locked location for packages, doing away with the need for carriers to leave packages on porches and subject to theft and bad weather.

The Postal Service reported a $1.9 billion loss for the first three months this year despite continued cost-cutting, a 2.3 percent rise in operating revenue and increased employee productivity. Package business has risen but the service struggles with inflationary cost increases and a continued decline in first-class mailing as people move to the Internet for letter writing and bill paying.

Postal officials have asked repeatedly for comprehensive legislation giving them more control over personnel and benefit costs and more flexibility in pricing and products. Though various legislative proposals have been advanced, Congress has not been able to agree on a bill with broad changes.

"Lawmakers should fix what they broke, not break what's working," National Association of Letter Carriers President Fredric Rolando said, referring to a 2006 law that requires the Postal Service to prefund its retiree health benefits. Meeting that requirement accounts for the bulk of the postal service's red ink. He said the Oversight Committee's bill is "irresponsible ... bad for the American public, bad for businesses, bad for the economy and bad for the U.S. Postal Service."

The Postal Service has been moving to more centralized delivery for some new addresses but hasn't done much to convert existing addresses, Issa said.

Comments

• Kat
    Kat Members Posts: 50,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eh, I think this should eventually become a reality. Maybe not now, but in the near future.

I rarely get mail I actually need or couldn't have accessed online
  • Black Boy King
    Options
    Good idea in theory I suppose, but this will not be implemented smoothly. Mail will get lost, people will be irate.

Luckily, they have prepared for such

US Postal Service Joins in Federal Ammo Purchases

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/USPS-ammo-purchase-federal/2014/04/14/id/565541#ixzz32Sb6WLya

Add the U.S. Postal Service to the list of federal agencies seeking to purchase what some Second Amendment activists say are alarmingly large quantities of ammunition.

Earlier this year, the USPS posted a notice on its website, under the heading "Assorted Small Arms Ammunition," that says: "The United States Postal Service intends to solicit proposals for assorted small arms ammunition. If your organization wishes to participate, you must pre-register. This message is only a notification of our intent to solicit proposals."

Alan Gottlieb, chairman of the Washington-based Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms, said: "We're seeing a highly unusual amount of ammunition being bought by the federal agencies over a fairly short period of time. To be honest, I don't understand why the federal government is buying so much at this time."

Jake McGuigan, director of state affairs and government relations for the National Shooting Sports Foundation, said widely reported federal ammunition purchases have sparked conspiracy-type fears among gun owners, who worry that the federal government is trying to ? down on Second Amendment rights via the back door by limiting the ammo available to owners.

It's not just the USPS that is stocking up on ammo.

A little more than a year ago, the Social Security Administration put in a request for 174,000 rounds of ".357 Sig 125 grain bonded jacketed hollow-point" bullets.

Before that, it was the Department of Agriculture requesting 320,000 rounds. More recently, the Department of Homeland Security raised eyebrows with its request for 450 million rounds — at about the same time the FBI separately sought 100 million hollow-point rounds.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration also requested 46,000 rounds.

Philip Van Cleave, president of the Virginia Citizens Defense League, asked: why exactly does a weather service need ammunition?

Read Latest Breaking News from Newsmax.com
    !
  • Black Boy King
    Options
    Kat wrote: »
    Eh, I think this should eventually become a reality. Maybe not now, but in the near future.

I rarely get mail I actually need or couldn't have accessed online

If you have faith in electronics (Much less, internet connection) when it comes to important documents

I feel so sorry for you
  • JonnyRoccIT
    JonnyRoccIT Members Posts: 14,389 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Arms Race . . . Who's Gonna Have more Guns and Ammo for when ? goes down .
  • Bussy_Getta
    Bussy_Getta Members Posts: 37,679 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man ain't nobody trying to walk to no ? community mail box.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pico wrote: »
    Man ain't nobody trying to walk to no ? community mail box.
    Walk yo lazy ass 30 feet and hush
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is one of their dozen attacks on the USPS. The Postal Service, despite being expressly mentioned in the constitution, is one of the many government arms the Republican Party are set on destroying.

The USPS at present is the largest unionized organization in the country, recently they changed the way the postal service funded pensions (by forcing them to pay pensions for years ahead costing them billions of dollars), they are paying the pensions of postal workers that haven't even been born yet.

The idea is to privatize the USPS and in order to make it seem inefficient and troublesome they keep ? with how it operates. It's the same thing they do to every agency, they cut funds (which they already did to USPS; in fact the USPS doesn't get any tax money it's all self-sustaining), they change it's powers etc this is just another way of trying to screw postal workers and the USPS union.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    Options
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • sully
    sully Members, Writer Posts: 4,955 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They do this in Canada, it works pretty well. If it makes the post office more efficient and decreases costs, then i don't see why anyone should see a problem with this.

Not to mention fat ? that waddle to their front door might have to waddle a few more yards everyday and hopefully shed a few pounds in the process..
  • The Prodigalson
    The Prodigalson Members, Writer Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Eventually they'll do away with the USPS and push all delivery through a paid service like UPS and FedEx. Them lobbyist are slowly but steadily buying capitol hill.
  • leftcoastkev
    leftcoastkev Members Posts: 6,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    The homeless and ID thieves will take a crowbar and raid your community mail box, just like they do in apartment complexes.

I forward all my mail to a PO box.

If it were up to me, I'd do away with the mail altogether and stick with FedEx, UPS, etc.
  • TruthSerum777
    TruthSerum777 Members Posts: 66 ✭✭
    Options
    This is a horrible idea. Some places don't have space for community boxes and then have to pay for mail delivered to them?! The postal workers pay would decline, people will be forced to go "green" and use the internet more which is an even dangerous idea. Totally relying on the internet is highly foolish.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    If it were up to me, I'd do away with the mail altogether and stick with FedEx, UPS, etc.
    this has issues for some older/rural folk, of course

• [Deleted User]
    Options
  • mc317
    mc317 Members Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I worked for post office for 17yrs, in 1997 the dude that had the patent on email offered to sell it to post office they declined stupidest ? business move ever
  • [Deleted User]
    edited May 2014
    Options