NFL Pushed Drugs On Players

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
AP770352648197.jpg

On the heels of massive concussion litigation that the NFL is still trying to resolve, the league now faces a new courtroom challenge that takes aim at the way professional football teams distributed drugs to players for the past four decades.

More than 600 players, led by former stars Jim McMahon and Richard Dent, filed a class-action complaint in U.S. District Court in San Francisco on Tuesday alleging the league illegally supplied them with painkillers to conceal injuries and mask pain. The players say addictive drugs were administered without proper prescriptions, in illegal doses, without medical supervision and with little or no explanation of risks and dangers.
“Rather than allowing players the opportunity to rest and heal, the NFL has illegally and unethically substituted pain medications for proper health care to keep the NFL’s tsunami of dollars flowing,” the complaint reads.

The NFL’s lawyers declined to comment on the suit Tuesday afternoon, saying they had yet to read it, a league spokesman said. Last year, NFL Executive Vice President Jeff Pash told The Washington Post: “The whole issue of pain meds is a big, important issue in our society well outside the NFL. It’s something that needs to be addressed on a broad basis, not just in [the] NFL, and it is something our doctors are looking at.”

NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said at the conclusion of Tuesday’s NFL owners meeting in Atlanta that he had not yet been able to study the details of the lawsuit.

The NFL reached an agreement last year to settle concussion-related litigation with former players for $765 million. A federal judge in Philadelphia rejected the deal, though, asking both sides to review the terms and make certain the funds are sufficient. Six of the eight named plaintiffs in Tuesday’s lawsuit are also involved in concussion-related cases.

“I can’t say for certain that what we’re alleging is more numerous or more widespread than concussions, but common sense tells me that it probably is,” said Steven Silverman, one of two attorneys representing the plaintiffs.

Similar to the concussion litigation, Tuesday’s filing portrays a culture within the NFL in which common medical practices deviate from the norm. It describes a league in which players were given a variety of opioids, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medicines and anesthetics to prep them for the physical toll awaiting them on the football field. Many players, the suit says, still struggle with addiction or the health trauma associated with excessive drug use during their playing careers.

Drugs aimed at treating pain have long been a part of the NFL. As part of a five-part series examining medicine in the NFL last year, The Post surveyed more than 500 former players and one in four said he felt pressure from team doctors to take medication he was uncomfortable with. Nearly nine in 10 reported playing games while hurt, and an overwhelming number — 68 percent — said they did not feel like they had a choice but to take the field.

In the lawsuit, McMahon says he suffered a broken neck and ankle during his career as an NFL quarterback from 1982 to ’96 and was “pushed back on to the field” with the aid of medications. He became addicted to painkillers, according to the lawsuit, at one time consuming more than 100 Percocet pills in a month.

For many ex-players, drugs were a regular part of game preparation, according to the lawsuit. They allege that trainers would ply them with medication to sleep and distribute different medication the next morning to prepare them for kickoff.

Plaintiff Jeremy Newberry, an NFL offensive lineman from 1999 to 2008, would receive as many as six injections during the course of a game, in addition to pills before and after games, according to the lawsuit. He suffers from renal failure and high blood pressure. Roy Green received “hundreds if not thousands” of injections as an NFL wide receiver from 1979 to ’92, the suit alleges. Now 56 years old, he has suffered three heart attacks and in 2012 had a kidney transplant because of failing kidneys.

The lawsuit alleges that dependency on pain medication outlasts football careers. One plaintiff, J.D. Hill, an NFL wide receiver from 1971 to ’79, says after he retired from football, he “was forced to purchase [drugs] on the streets to deal with his football-related pain” and eventually became homeless.

In addition to seeking unspecified compensatory and punitive damages, the class of ex-players seeks a medical monitoring program and wants the league to pay for treatment.

“The NFL pushes profits; they put their own profits above the players’ health,” said Mel Owens, the other attorney representing the plaintiffs. “You cannot play in this league without medication; it’s too arduous.”

Comments

• fightforolddc
    fightforolddc Members Posts: 981 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't doubt that they were being given painkillers to deal with injury.

But at what point do you gotta just say dems da breaks? Long term affects of painkillers weren't known in the 70s and even if they were , were the players not given the right to reject them? You can blame the "culture" but anyone who strap up in the NFL knows the risks.

Broke ass ex-players suing the NFL for doing street drugs after retirement? FOH. Yall knew it's a violent game when the paychecks were rolling in.

Players should get good health care and deserve that but all these lawsuits? Sorry brehs.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The concussion guys got money, so these guys tryna jump on the lawsuit bandwagon.

If all these lawsuits keep coming and winning, the NFL will be two-hand touch (NH) before the end of the decade.
  • Cliff Da Mont
    Cliff Da Mont Members Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    Options
    A doctor knowing a player has a broken neck and not telling him the truth is negligence and he should be dealt with accordingly.....but what proof do they have that THE NFL did it? It goes down to individual teams and their medical staff.
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    .......but what proof do they have that THE NFL did it? It goes down to individual teams and their medical staff.

That's where these players might win tge lawsuit..... teams suppossed to keep medical records on players
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mark schlereth put some ? ? on blast with this lawsuit on the herd yesterday. You got punters who only were in trainning camp/preseason jumping on this lawsuit and ? according to the emails he got with the list of players on board.

Also there is documented examples of Jim McMahon being urged not to play and he said ? it put me in so the players need to take some responsibility. Not to mention McMahon was on chi town radio after cutler lost a few years ago acting like cutler was a ? . These old players can't talk about how tough they are back in my day ? then have lawsuits asking for money.
  • So ILL
    So ILL Members Posts: 16,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Monizzle14 wrote: »
    mark schlereth put some ? ? on blast with this lawsuit on the herd yesterday. You got punters who only were in trainning camp/preseason jumping on this lawsuit and ? according to the emails he got with the list of players on board.

Also there is documented examples of Jim McMahon being urged not to play and he said ? it put me in so the players need to take some responsibility. Not to mention McMahon was on chi town radio after cutler lost a few years ago acting like cutler was a ? . These old players can't talk about how tough they are back in my day ? then have lawsuits asking for money.

Schlereth don't be giving a damn lol. I remember when the debate on hitting was going, and the NFL first started trying to take certain hits out of the game because they said they were worried about safety in the game. This ? pulled out a phone or iPad on TV and went on the league website and pulled up a DVD on the greatest hits of that year with all of the hits that they were trying to ban at the time. Put the NFL on full blast lol.

• greenwood1921
    greenwood1921 Members Posts: 47,115 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »

Schlereth don't be giving a damn lol. I remember when the debate on hitting was going, and the NFL first started trying to take certain hits out of the game because they said they were worried about safety in the game. This ? pulled out a phone or iPad on TV and went on the league website and pulled up a DVD on the greatest hits of that year with all of the hits that they were trying to ban at the time. Put the NFL on full blast lol.

Well damn. pffft.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

Very true the players supposed to take their share of responsibility but players aren't doctors. No matter how much a player wants to play, if they can't orshouldn't the doctor shouldn't let them go out there. Funny you bring up Jim McMahon. Outside The Lines did a special on him last year and pulled a quote from a Bears team doctor saying "Jim suffered a concussion in the 1st half but was cleared up by the start of the 3rd quarter" lol
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    blackrain wrote: »

Very true the players supposed to take their share of responsibility but players aren't doctors. No matter how much a player wants to play, if they can't orshouldn't the doctor shouldn't let them go out there. Funny you bring up Jim McMahon. Outside The Lines did a special on him last year and pulled a quote from a Bears team doctor saying "Jim suffered a concussion in the 1st half but was cleared up by the start of the 3rd quarter" lol

Yes doctors on certain teams turned blind eyes but the people from this lawsuit that have spoken have taken zero responsibility for the most part. And the biggest issue is you think some 6 foot 2 linebacker is going to listen to some tiny ass doctor in that day and age? helll no. McMahon in one game doctors urged him not to play due to an injury according to reports demanded to play. It was a monday night football game and he went in later in the game and they won. Again the biggest hypocrisy is these ? calling other players soft and then 5 minutes later they suing and ? . I think medical care and insurance should be extended for older players who run out and are still having issues. But giving lawyers money and players a little money to me is not the answer.
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    So ILL wrote: »

@So ILL did they "discontinue" those greatest hits videos after he did that ? lol colin cowherd was talking about that ? back when that happened i think on his radio show.