Ranking The Batman Movies...

Options
2»

Comments

• Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    if they gonna throw animated ones in there.. where does under the red hood, gotham knight, batman year one, the dark knight returns pt 1 & 2

and the son of batman rank?

dc animated universe been really killing it
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    DWO wrote: »
    if they gonna throw animated ones in there.. where does under the red hood, gotham knight, batman year one, the dark knight returns pt 1 & 2

and the son of batman rank?

dc animated universe been really killing it

The difference is that mask of the phantasm was released in theatres.

• Breezy_Kilroy
    Breezy_Kilroy Members Posts: 10,500 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ? ? with Batman Begins like that?

But tbh i don't even remember it that much. Think I've only seen it once
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The TDK trilogy stands above the rest. Yeah Mask of the Phantasm had a theatrical release but its comparing apples and oranges to the live action films.

If we were to include all of the Batman animated movies with the live action movies, the animated ones would rank above all of the live action ones with the exception of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Even Dark Knight Rises would be somewhere in there.
  • CapitalB
    CapitalB Members Posts: 24,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    focus wrote: »
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wb0f36RZ77s
    9. Batman & Robin (1997)
    8. Batman Forever (1995)
    7. Batman: The Movie (1966)
    6. The Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    5. Batman (1989)
    4. Batman Returns (1992)
    3. Batman: Mask of the Phantasm (1993)
    2. Batman Begins (2005)
    1. The Dark Knight (2008)

I 100% agree

if they don't get the ? out of here wit no. 7 & 3..

top 5..
    Batman (1989) .."where does he get those wonderful toys?!" this Joker >>> Dark Knight's that and Prince did the soundtrack. lol
    Dark Knight (2008)
    Dark Knight Rises (2012)
    Batman Begins (2005)
    Batman Returns (1992)
  • clairvoyance
    clairvoyance Members Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options
    The TDK trilogy stands above the rest. Yeah Mask of the Phantasm had a theatrical release but its comparing apples and oranges to the live action films.

If we were to include all of the Batman animated movies with the live action movies, the animated ones would rank above all of the live action ones with the exception of Batman Begins and The Dark Knight. Even Dark Knight Rises would be somewhere in there.

I was just stating the reason why phantasm made it to the list while the rest of the animated films were left out,sounds like some of you are taking it a lil personal for whatever reason.
  • soul rattler
    Options

I was just stating the reason why phantasm made it to the list while the rest of the animated films were left out,sounds like some of you are taking it a lil personal for whatever reason.

I'm not. It's obvious why the animated flick is being ranked but the others aren't. It's just glaringly weird to compare an animated cartoon to live action flicks. The grading scale is different.
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i completely forgot that phantasm was in the theaters......

even still i feel like live action and animated should be on different lsits
  • Broddie
    Broddie Members Posts: 11,750 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2014
    Options

I'm not. It's obvious why the animated flick is being ranked but the others aren't. It's just glaringly weird to compare an animated cartoon to live action flicks. The grading scale is different.

Not it isn't. This is just your personal opinion and not the belief of millions of moviegoers around.

A movie is a movie period. What you're talking about is a very outdated mentality that hasn't had any merit & has been rejected by critics since even before the last Disney animation renaissance. Frozen didn't connect with so many people last year because "it was good for a cartoon" it connected because it was a genuinely good and touching movie.

Toy Story 3 wouldn't have made grown people cry if it wasn't as emotionally effective as something like 12 Years A Slave. Miyazaki's movies are considered some of the best of all time period. Akira is considered one of the best sci-fi movies of the past 26 years regardless of being animated.

Animation is just a tool used to tell the story just like CGI, lens filters and any other components you'd find in live action productions.

MOTP is one of the best movies in the Batman series period. It has one of the most engaging and tragic romances in any of them. Right up there with Batman Returns and pretty much superior to the rest of them and many other superhero movies. It also has better insight and a better understanding of Bruce Wayne and Batman than any other Batman movie including the ones by Nolan. It's easily the best of all the animated ones and has been revered by fans who consider it "the best Batman movie period" for decades for that reason.
  • soul rattler
    Options
    I didn't say that it was impossible to compare animated movies to live action movies. I said the grading scale is different. That's why most awards shows leaves a seperate category for animated movies.

If you were to take the script to an animated movie and put that exact same script to live action, 99% of the time it would be horrible because of acting cues, character movements, lines, etc. Animated films get away with things that live action films wouldn't. It's the reason why they haven't asked Bruce Timm to help in TDK, MOS, GL, etc.

There are a lot of animated films with great stories. But having a great story does not guarantee a great film, nor does it automatically make a film better than another film with a not-so-great story.