If Tim Duncan wins his 5th championship, is he the greatest player in the post-Jordan era?

124»

Comments

• KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic is after Timmy. ? better look at Shaq's numbers. His rookie year is better than ? careers
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    You could make a case for A.I.
    He was just as nice as Kobe or better but he didn't play with Shaquille O ? Neal. Then Elgin Baylor also. Just look at his numbers.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    ? , even David Robinson.
  • Jonah 2.0
    Jonah 2.0 Members Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic is after Timmy.

This has to be a typo. It has to be.

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Naw I changed my reason.

Kobe > Duncan

Even if he wins.

• NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    I'm a Spurs fan and I've watched Timmy play his whole career, but Im not sure if Id call him top 5. To me Jordan, Magic, Dream and Kareem are ahead of him. And I know many will disagree, not like I give a ? , but I feel Lebron has already surpassed him. Russell and Wilt played in an era I knew nothing about, so I cant rank them.

The thing that hurts Tim is a lot of other guys' peaks (Shaq, Dream, Wilt, Kobe) were higher than his peak. The thing that helps him is he has been consistently great over a long period of time while others at the same stages of their careers either were role players or not even in the NBA.

I don't see how anyone doesn't have him in their top 10 tho.

Preach! When I see Duncan play, I'm like, "okay he's good, but he's basically a smart player in a great system." When I saw Shaq, Kobe, Magic etc. play, I was on some, "THIS DUDE CAN'T BE STOPPED!!!!.. DID YOU SEE THAT! HE'S ON HIS VIDEO GAME ? !!!" kind of mood.

Objectively, Duncan just doesn't compare. He got the numbers, but ? don't add up correctly if you know what I mean. He's that guy that surprises you every time his credentials get listed.

Kareem, Russell, Jordan, Kobe, Magic

Shaq, Wilt, Bird, Dr. J, Isiah

Hakeem, Oscar etc.

I mean it's doable to not put Duncan in the top 10. There's nobody I listed that Duncan is for sure better than.
  • Shizlansky
    How old are you ? ?
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    How old are you ? ?
    Apparently old enough to have seen Wilt, Russell and Oscar play.
  • playmaker88
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing Members Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm a Spurs fan and I've watched Timmy play his whole career, but Im not sure if Id call him top 5. To me Jordan, Magic, Dream and Kareem are ahead of him. And I know many will disagree, not like I give a ? , but I feel Lebron has already surpassed him. Russell and Wilt played in an era I knew nothing about, so I cant rank them.

The thing that hurts Tim is a lot of other guys' peaks (Shaq, Dream, Wilt, Kobe) were higher than his peak. The thing that helps him is he has been consistently great over a long period of time while others at the same stages of their careers either were role players or not even in the NBA.

I don't see how anyone doesn't have him in their top 10 tho.

Preach! When I see Duncan play, I'm like, "okay he's good, but he's basically a smart player in a great system." When I saw Shaq, Kobe, Magic etc. play, I was on some, "THIS DUDE CAN'T BE STOPPED!!!!.. DID YOU SEE THAT! HE'S ON HIS VIDEO GAME ? !!!" kind of mood.

Objectively, Duncan just doesn't compare. He got the numbers, but ? don't add up correctly if you know what I mean. He's that guy that surprises you every time his credentials get listed.

Kareem, Russell, Jordan, Kobe, Magic

Shaq, Wilt, Bird, Dr. J, Isiah

Hakeem, Oscar etc.

I mean it's doable to not put Duncan in the top 10. There's nobody I listed that Duncan is for sure better than.

kobe-finger-wag-kobe-bryant-gifs.gif
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Without Tony P he would only have one ring. The argument can be made, but TP is why the Spurs won 4 more and why they lost last year. If Tony is too hurt it will be the reason they lose again.
  • FlightKing
    Without Tony P he would only have one ring. The argument can be made, but TP is why the Spurs won 4 more and why they lost last year. If Tony is too hurt it will be the reason they lose again.

Playoff Averages (Championship Years)

2003 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2003.html
    Duncan 22/11/3
    Parker 18/2/7
    Ginobili 13/5/3

2005 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2005.html
    Duncan 23/12/2
    Parker 17/2/4
    Ginobili 20/5/4

2007 - http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/SAS/2007.html
    Duncan 22/11/3
    Parker 20/3/5
    Ginobili 16/5/3
    Finley 11/2/1

Playoffs Last Year & This Year
    Duncan 18/10
    Parker 20/3/7
    Ginobili 11/3/5
    Kawhi - 13/9
    Green 11/4

Duncan 16/8
    Parker 17/2/4
    Ginobili 14/3/41
    Kawhi 13/6
    Diaw 10/3/2
    Green 9/3

Patty Mills and Korey Joseph can fill that void fine. Parker vanished half way through the 2013 Finals.

Why all this Timmy hate bruh!?
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator

You mean 3. He wasn't part of the 1999 team.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    Tony played like ? in the 05 Finals tho. Timmy and Manu carried that team offensively.
  • Shizlansky
    ? on point with the Kobe gifs today
  • playmaker88
    FlightKing wrote: »

Duncan 22/11/3
    Parker 18/2/7
    Ginobili 13/5/3

Duncan 23/12/2
    Parker 17/2/4
    Ginobili 20/5/4

Duncan 22/11/3
    Parker 20/3/5
    Ginobili 16/5/3
    Finley 11/2/1

Duncan 18/10
    Parker 20/3/7
    Ginobili 11/3/5
    Kawhi - 13/9
    Green 11/4

Duncan 16/8
    Parker 17/2/4
    Ginobili 14/3/41
    Kawhi 13/6
    Diaw 10/3/2
    Green 9/3

Patty Mills and Korey Joseph can fill that void fine. Parker vanished half way through the 2013 Finals.

Parker and duncan played well for like a game each they both left alot to be desired ginobli was tragic
  • FlightKing
    FlightKing wrote: »

Duncan 22/11/3
    Parker 18/2/7
    Ginobili 13/5/3

Duncan 23/12/2
    Parker 17/2/4
    Ginobili 20/5/4

Duncan 22/11/3
    Parker 20/3/5
    Ginobili 16/5/3
    Finley 11/2/1

Duncan 18/10
    Parker 20/3/7
    Ginobili 11/3/5
    Kawhi - 13/9
    Green 11/4

Duncan 16/8
    Parker 17/2/4
    Ginobili 14/3/41
    Kawhi 13/6
    Diaw 10/3/2
    Green 9/3

Parker and duncan played well for like a game each they both left alot to be desired ginobli was tragic

Last year was designed solely around Tony. He folded. Tim was consistently average last year. My post just demostrated that Tony wasn't the sole reason Tim was winning chips. Duncan was doing serious work for his rings. Now it's a balanced attack.
  • playmaker88
    He was hurt last year though
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    been saying this
  • PanchoYoSancho
    edited June 2014
    He was hurt last year though
    Tony going into back to back Finals injured could potentially end up costing us 2 championships.