Obama wants to leave 9,800 American troops in Afghanistan AFTER 2014

Options
kingblaze84
kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
Obama says US finishing the job in Afghanistan means leaving 9,800 plus troops in Afghanistan AFTER 2014....

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-says-us-finishing-job-afghanistan-185744303--politics.html

WASHINGTON (AP) — President Barack Obama says the United States is finishing the job it started in Afghanistan.

The president says he will seek to bring the U.S. force in Afghanistan down to 9,800 as the American combat mission ends later this year. He then intends to withdraw most those forces by the end of 2016.

Obama said from the Rose Garden on Tuesday, quote: "This is the year we will conclude our combat mission in Afghanistan."

Obama said U.S. troops have been in Afghanistan longer than many Americans expected. He said the forces have struck significant blows against al-Qaida's leadership, eliminated Osama bin Laden and prevented Afghanistan from being used as a base against the U.S.

Comments

• kingblaze84
    edited May 2014
    Options
    Is this really a good idea, considering America is so backed up in taking care of its many wounded and traumatized vets that they are dying in military hospitals and the VA while waiting for care? America's hospitals are backed up crazy and can't even take care of its wounded soldiers now.....why leave more of them in harm's way then? Afghanistan is a lost cause like Iraq, it seems America has learned nothing after that disaster smh.....
  • kingblaze84
    edited May 2014
    Options
    The 9,800 troops to be left over in Afghanistan will cost America at least 20 billion after 2014 LOL.....think about this ? next time your city or state cries poverty over social programs and welfare services. 20 billion to spend on a nation that already hates us, while Americans starve and are in serious trouble here at home. Thanks a lot you ? idiots in Washington DC. That includes you Obama.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/05/27/politics/us-afghanistan-troops/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

The role of U.S. troops in Afghanistan after this year will be aimed at "disrupting threats caused by al Qaeda, supporting Afghan security forces and giving the Afghan people the opportunity to succeed as they stand on their own," he said.

Tony Blinken, Obama's deputy national security adviser, told CNN that the United States will spend about $20 billion on the continued military presence in Afghanistan after 2014.

Asked if such a cost was worth it, Blinken replied: "We want to complete the job that we started." At the same time, he said "we can't be in an endless war posture."

In a call with journalists before Obama's announcement, senior administration officials said the intention was to show continued international support for Afghanistan as it transitions to its new elected government.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    alright, quick, someone remind me specifically what Obama claimed he'd do regarding Afghanistan while running for president
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    alright, quick, someone remind me specifically what Obama claimed he'd do regarding Afghanistan while running for president

He did say he'd go after Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan but would also use common sense judgment on the issue after his dumb surge idea (which has failed). Leaving 10K troops and wasting at least another 20 billion is NOT a good way to spend our money, it's all a waste of time and I'm surprised even Obama can't admit this

• janklow
    Options
    He did say he'd go after Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan but would also use common sense judgment on the issue after his dumb surge idea (which has failed).
    we didn't get a "and we'll get out of Afghanistan blah blah blah" position? hmmm

• kingblaze84
    Options
    He did say he'd go after Al-Qaeda in Afghanistan but would also use common sense judgment on the issue after his dumb surge idea (which has failed).
    we didn't get a "and we'll get out of Afghanistan blah blah blah" position? hmmm

Well he still promised common sense judgment on the war in Afghanistan, and he's definitely not using it. Things aren't getting better there with American troops walking around and reporters have openly called out Obama for saying Al-Qaeda is on the run. This footage shows CBS reporter Lara Logan telling an audience Al Qaeda has only grown in influence since Obama's Afghanistan surge, leaving troops there isn't helping, only making a terror attack more likely. The same ? Hamid Karzai has said

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_u9dAwsiY5I&feature=player_detailpage

• Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's the point??? I don't see what there is to finish if the people are going to vote (whatever and however they choose to do it) in who they want.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Let them folks hammer out their own discrepancies and issues.
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2014
    Options
    The soldier who was released from the Taliban after hostage negotiations yesterday walked off his post because he was disillusioned with the war.....he was ? off at how badly the Americans were treating the Afghans

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/10868673/Bowe-Bergdahl-a-darker-story-behind-the-release-of-Americas-last-prisoner-of-war.html

Sgt Bergdahl took an unusual route into the US military, studying ballet and joining a sailing expedition from the Atlantic to the Pacific before attempting to enlist in the French Foreign Legion. Only after being rejected by France did he join the US Army.

He deployed to Afghanistan in 2009 full of idealistic conviction that he and his comrades could push back the Taliban and improve life in the long-subjugated country.

But hopefulness soon gave way to despair after his unit began to take casualties and he saw how US troops treated the Afghans they were supposed to be saving.

"These people need help, yet what they get is the most conceited country in the world telling them that they are nothing and that they are stupid," he wrote in an email to his parents on June 27, 2009.

Three days later, according to Rolling Stone, the 23-year-old soldier simply walked off his base in Patika province, carrying a knife, his diary and a small camera.

• zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this is a good thing we can't just leave the country full stop they are not ready
  • Soloman_The_Wise
    Soloman_The_Wise Members Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/promises/obameter/
  • janklow
    Options
    The soldier who was released from the Taliban after hostage negotiations yesterday walked off his post because he was disillusioned with the war.....he was ? off at how badly the Americans were treating the Afghans
    on the other hand, the ? -up thing about it is if that IS why we walked off base, all he did was get a lot more drama kicked up between US and Taliban forces
    In an announcement from the White House Rose Garden on May 27, Obama affirmed his plan to formally conclude the combat mission in Afghanistan by the end of 2014.
    "This year we will bring America's longest war to a responsible end," he said.
    That would fulfill the campaign pledge that Obama made on the trail during his 2012 re-election campaign.
    It doesn't mean, however, that the United States will be pulling out of the country completely.
    okay, so we know he claimed he'd end it during the 2012 campaign... but what's the basis for saying NOW the war ends if you leave 10000 people there (plus contractors, one assumes) regardless?

tsk tsk, Obama

• kingblaze84
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @Janklow,

When you say the soldier who walked off his base just created more drama btw US and Taliban forces, do you mean because the Taliban commanders were released to Qatar, it may encourage more Taliban kidnapping Americans? Or just the drama of the Taliban holding the guy for so long?
  • kingblaze84
    edited June 2014
    Options
    zombie wrote: »
    this is a good thing we can't just leave the country full stop they are not ready

How long should American forces stay there? I don't see the good it will do. America is going bankrupt fighting this war, 20 billion dollars would be spent so much better right here in America, we can't babysit Afghanistan forever can we? When does it end, because we can't do this forever, too many resources are being spent. It's how Rome went broke.
  • janklow
    Options
    When you say the soldier who walked off his base just created more drama btw US and Taliban forces, do you mean because the Taliban commanders were released to Qatar, it may encourage more Taliban kidnapping Americans? Or just the drama of the Taliban holding the guy for so long?
    actually, what i mean is that it got a lot of people killed due to the search for this guy alone. not a huge fan of the Daily Beast, but this article sums it up pretty well:

We Lost Soldiers in the Hunt for Bergdahl, a Guy Who Walked Off in the Dead of Night
    He is safe, and now it is time to speak the truth. And that the truth is: Bergdahl was a deserter, and soldiers from his own unit died trying to track him down.

On the night prior to his capture, Bergdahl pulled guard duty at OP Mest, a small outpost about two hours south of the provincial capitol. The base resembled a wagon circle of armored vehicles with some razor wire strung around them. A guard tower sat high up on a nearby hill, but the outpost itself was no fortress. Besides the tower, the only hard structure that I saw in July 2009 was a plywood shed filled with bottled water. Soldiers either slept in poncho tents or inside their vehicles.

The next morning, Bergdahl failed to show for the morning roll call. The soldiers in 2nd Platoon, Blackfoot Company discovered his rifle, helmet, body armor and web gear in a neat stack. He had, however, taken his compass. His fellow soldiers later mentioned his stated desire to walk from Afghanistan to India.

The Daily Beast’s Christopher Dickey later wrote that "[w]hether Bergdahl…just walked away from his base or was lagging behind on a patrol at the time of his capture remains an open and fiercely debated question.” Not to me and the members of my unit. Make no mistake: Bergdahl did not "lag behind on a patrol,” as was cited in news reports at the time. There was no patrol that night. Bergdahl was relieved from guard duty, and instead of going to sleep, he fled the outpost on foot. He deserted. I’ve talked to members of Bergdahl’s platoon—including the last Americans to see him before his capture. I’ve reviewed the relevant documents. That’s what happened.

Our deployment was hectic and intense in the initial months, but no one could have predicted that a soldier would simply wander off. Looking back on those first 12 weeks, our slice of the war in the vicinity of Sharana resembles a perfectly still snow-globe—a diorama in miniature of all the dust-coated outposts, treeless brown mountains and adobe castles in Paktika province—and between June 25 and June 30, all the forces of nature conspired to turn it over and shake it. On June 25, we suffered our battalion’s first fatality, a platoon leader named First Lieutenant Brian Bradshaw. Five days later, Bergdahl walked away.

His disappearance translated into daily search missions across the entire Afghanistan theater of operations, particularly ours. The combat platoons in our battalion spent the next month on daily helicopter-insertion search missions (called "air assaults”) trying to scour villages for signs of him. Each operations would send multiple platoons and every enabler available in pursuit: radio intercept teams, military working dogs, professional anthropologists used as intelligence gathering teams, Afghan sources in disguise. They would be out for at least 24 hours. I know of some who were on mission for 10 days at a stretch. In July, the temperature was well above 100 degrees Fahrenheit each day.

These cobbled-together units’ task was to search villages one after another. They often took rifle and mortar fire from insurgents, or perhaps just angry locals. They intermittently received resupply from soot-coated Mi-17s piloted by Russian contractors, many of whom were Soviet veterans of Afghanistan. It was hard, ? and dangerous work. The searches enraged the local civilian population and derailed the counterinsurgency operations taking place at the time. At every juncture I remember the soldiers involved asking why we were burning so much gasoline trying to find a guy who had abandoned his unit in the first place. The war was already absurd and quixotic, but the hunt for Bergdahl was even more infuriating because it was all the result of some kid doing something unnecessary by his own volition.

On July 4, 2009, a human wave of insurgents attacked the joint U.S./Afghan outpost at Zerok. It was in east Paktika province, the domain of our sister infantry battalion (3rd Battalion, 509th Infantry). Two Americans died and many more received wounds. Hundreds of insurgents attacked and were only repelled by teams of Apache helicopters. Zerok was very close to the Pakistan border, which put it into the same category as outposts now infamous—places like COP Keating or Wanat, places where insurgents could mass on the Pakistani side and then try to overwhelm the outnumbered defenders.

One of my close friends was the company executive officer for the unit at Zerok. He is a mild-mannered and generous guy, not the kind of person prone to fits of pique or rage. But, in his opinion, the attack would not have happened had his company received its normal complement of intelligence aircraft: drones, planes, and the like. Instead, every intelligence aircraft available in theater had received new instructions: find Bergdahl. My friend blames Bergdahl for his soldiers’ deaths. I know that he is not alone, and that this was not the only instance of it. His soldiers’ names were Private First Class Aaron Fairbairn and Private First Class Justin Casillas.

Though the 2009 Afghan presidential election slowed the search for Bergdahl, it did not stop it. Our battalion suffered six fatalities in a three-week period. On August 18, an IED killed Private First Class Morris Walker and Staff Sergeant Clayton Bowen during a reconnaissance mission. On August 26, while conducting a search for a Taliban shadow sub-governor supposedly affiliated with Bergdahl’s captors, Staff Sergeant Kurt Curtiss was shot in the face and killed. On September 4, during a patrol to a village near the area in which Bergdahl vanished, an insurgent ambush killed Second Lieutenant Darryn Andrews and gravely wounded Private First Class Matthew Martinek, who died of his wounds a week later. On September 5, while conducting a foot movement toward a village also thought affiliated with Bergdahl’s captors, Staff Sergeant Michael Murphrey stepped on an improvised land mine. He died the next day.

It is important to name all these names. For the veterans of the units that lost these men, Bergdahl’s capture and the subsequent hunt for him will forever tie to their memories, and to a time in their lives that will define them as people. He has finally returned. Those men will never have the opportunity.

now, as for the exchange i think it's a bad deal for reasons you're noting (it's not like this thing works for Europeans or Israelis) but i do understand WHY they did it; what i disagree with is making it seem like dude is a huge hero being brought home.

• kingblaze84
    Options
    actually, what i mean is that it got a lot of people killed due to the search for this guy alone. not a huge fan of the Daily Beast, but this article sums it up pretty well:

We Lost Soldiers in the Hunt for Bergdahl, a Guy Who Walked Off in the Dead of Night
    He is safe, and now it is time to speak the truth. And that the truth is: Bergdahl was a deserter, and soldiers from his own unit died trying to track him down.

On the night prior to his capture, Bergdahl pulled guard duty at OP Mest, a small outpost about two hours south of the provincial capitol. The base resembled a wagon circle of armored vehicles with some razor wire strung around them. A guard tower sat high up on a nearby hill, but the outpost itself was no fortress. Besides the tower, the only hard structure that I saw in July 2009 was a plywood shed filled with bottled water. Soldiers either slept in poncho tents or inside their vehicles.

The next morning, Bergdahl failed to show for the morning roll call. The soldiers in 2nd Platoon, Blackfoot Company discovered his rifle, helmet, body armor and web gear in a neat stack. He had, however, taken his compass. His fellow soldiers later mentioned his stated desire to walk from Afghanistan to India.

The Daily Beast’s Christopher Dickey later wrote that "[w]hether Bergdahl…just walked away from his base or was lagging behind on a patrol at the time of his capture remains an open and fiercely debated question.” Not to me and the members of my unit. Make no mistake: Bergdahl did not "lag behind on a patrol,” as was cited in news reports at the time. There was no patrol that night. Bergdahl was relieved from guard duty, and instead of going to sleep, he fled the outpost on foot. He deserted. I’ve talked to members of Bergdahl’s platoon—including the last Americans to see him before his capture. I’ve reviewed the relevant documents. That’s what happened.

Our deployment was hectic and intense in the initial months, but no one could have predicted that a soldier would simply wander off. Looking back on those first 12 weeks, our slice of the war in the vicinity of Sharana resembles a perfectly still snow-globe—a diorama in miniature of all the dust-coated outposts, treeless brown mountains and adobe castles in Paktika province—and between June 25 and June 30, all the forces of nature conspired to turn it over and shake it. On June 25, we suffered our battalion’s first fatality, a platoon leader named First Lieutenant Brian Bradshaw. Five days later, Bergdahl walked away.

His disappearance translated into daily search missions across the entire Afghanistan theater of operations, particularly ours. The combat platoons in our battalion spent the next month on daily helicopter-insertion search missions (called "air assaults”) trying to scour villages for signs of him. Each operations would send multiple platoons and every enabler available in pursuit: radio intercept teams, military working dogs, professional anthropologists used as intelligence gathering teams, Afghan sources in disguise. They would be out for at least 24 hours. I know of some who were on mission for 10 days at a stretch. In July, the temperature was well above 100 degrees Fahrenheit each day.

These cobbled-together units’ task was to search villages one after another. They often took rifle and mortar fire from insurgents, or perhaps just angry locals. They intermittently received resupply from soot-coated Mi-17s piloted by Russian contractors, many of whom were Soviet veterans of Afghanistan. It was hard, ? and dangerous work. The searches enraged the local civilian population and derailed the counterinsurgency operations taking place at the time. At every juncture I remember the soldiers involved asking why we were burning so much gasoline trying to find a guy who had abandoned his unit in the first place. The war was already absurd and quixotic, but the hunt for Bergdahl was even more infuriating because it was all the result of some kid doing something unnecessary by his own volition.

On July 4, 2009, a human wave of insurgents attacked the joint U.S./Afghan outpost at Zerok. It was in east Paktika province, the domain of our sister infantry battalion (3rd Battalion, 509th Infantry). Two Americans died and many more received wounds. Hundreds of insurgents attacked and were only repelled by teams of Apache helicopters. Zerok was very close to the Pakistan border, which put it into the same category as outposts now infamous—places like COP Keating or Wanat, places where insurgents could mass on the Pakistani side and then try to overwhelm the outnumbered defenders.

One of my close friends was the company executive officer for the unit at Zerok. He is a mild-mannered and generous guy, not the kind of person prone to fits of pique or rage. But, in his opinion, the attack would not have happened had his company received its normal complement of intelligence aircraft: drones, planes, and the like. Instead, every intelligence aircraft available in theater had received new instructions: find Bergdahl. My friend blames Bergdahl for his soldiers’ deaths. I know that he is not alone, and that this was not the only instance of it. His soldiers’ names were Private First Class Aaron Fairbairn and Private First Class Justin Casillas.

Though the 2009 Afghan presidential election slowed the search for Bergdahl, it did not stop it. Our battalion suffered six fatalities in a three-week period. On August 18, an IED killed Private First Class Morris Walker and Staff Sergeant Clayton Bowen during a reconnaissance mission. On August 26, while conducting a search for a Taliban shadow sub-governor supposedly affiliated with Bergdahl’s captors, Staff Sergeant Kurt Curtiss was shot in the face and killed. On September 4, during a patrol to a village near the area in which Bergdahl vanished, an insurgent ambush killed Second Lieutenant Darryn Andrews and gravely wounded Private First Class Matthew Martinek, who died of his wounds a week later. On September 5, while conducting a foot movement toward a village also thought affiliated with Bergdahl’s captors, Staff Sergeant Michael Murphrey stepped on an improvised land mine. He died the next day.

It is important to name all these names. For the veterans of the units that lost these men, Bergdahl’s capture and the subsequent hunt for him will forever tie to their memories, and to a time in their lives that will define them as people. He has finally returned. Those men will never have the opportunity.

now, as for the exchange i think it's a bad deal for reasons you're noting (it's not like this thing works for Europeans or Israelis) but i do understand WHY they did it; what i disagree with is making it seem like dude is a huge hero being brought home.

Oh ? that's crazy, ironic too considering I'm actually going to buy Lone Survivor later today (a classic film for anyone who hasn't seen it yet).

6 Americans were killed looking for this guy wow, now I see why some are so upset by the celebration of this guy. The soldier was right to hate the Afghan war and what became of it but in the end maybe the release was worth it, little good is coming out of Afghanistan anyway. Might as well have one good story come out of there.
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    A lawyer for CNN says the Obama administration broke the law by freeing the American hostage because Congress needed notification or 30 days notice that a prison exchange would occur.....because Obama is still the commander in chief, I assume he still had the right to do it but maybe I'm wrong

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0BVuRs1Hqw&feature=player_embedded
  • janklow
    Options
    6 Americans were killed looking for this guy wow, now I see why some are so upset by the celebration of this guy.
    i do also think it makes a difference to a lot of military guys whether or not he was a deserter; whatever you think of that, you're going to be MUCH more approving of getting men hurt and killed (or even put at greater risk) if it's because a guy got snatched from a patrol or something along those lines.
    A lawyer for CNN says the Obama administration broke the law by freeing the American hostage because Congress needed notification or 30 days notice that a prison exchange would occur.....because Obama is still the commander in chief, I assume he still had the right to do it but maybe I'm wrong
    also worth noting that the whole "signing statement" thing is something Candidate Obama bashed Bush for doing and vowed he'd avoid

• kingblaze84
    edited June 2014
    Options
    6 Americans were killed looking for this guy wow, now I see why some are so upset by the celebration of this guy.
    i do also think it makes a difference to a lot of military guys whether or not he was a deserter; whatever you think of that, you're going to be MUCH more approving of getting men hurt and killed (or even put at greater risk) if it's because a guy got snatched from a patrol or something along those lines.
    also worth noting that the whole "signing statement" thing is something Candidate Obama bashed Bush for doing and vowed he'd avoid

Puzzling why 5 Taliban commanders who've likely killed many Americans are worth one deserter so yeah the soldiers have a right to be upset.....

I don't get why Obama would bash Bush for not honoring agreements btw the executive office and Congress but goes on to just break them himself. I thought the public and the govt as a whole would be more supportive of an American coming home regardless but to even my surprise, it's backfired badly already. He should've consulted with Congress before doing this, people are freaking out over this, Dems and Republicans. It's also funny how the soldier who deserted has dissed the war in Afghanistan almost as much as I have, maybe more. Maybe that soldier and his father can talk some sense into Obama about how foolish this war has made us look worldwide. Al-Qaeda and their supporters are being strengthened by this neverending war, not weaker...it's a propaganda gift that keeps on giving
  • janklow
    Options
    Puzzling why 5 Taliban commanders who've likely killed many Americans are worth one deserter so yeah the soldiers have a right to be upset.....
    this is part of the fundamental problem with these exchanges, regardless of whether or not one of these dudes was a deserter
    I don't get why Obama would bash Bush for not honoring agreements btw the executive office and Congress but goes on to just break them himself.
    it's a combination of things, really:
    -bashing Bush was more about winning an election than bashing Bush;
    -Obama seems to have the belief that ? he does is cool when he does it, but not when other people do (see also: drone usage restrictions should Romney have won in 2012);
    -there IS a point where a candidate learns ? about the real world in office, to include that sometimes ? he railed against is very useful, but they can't articulate this, so they pretend there's no conflict and look shady as ? ;

etc, etc.

• twatgetta
    twatgetta Members Posts: 6,705 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    NOTHING Obama do is a good idea @kingblaze84
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    twatgetta wrote: »
    NOTHING Obama do is a good idea @kingblaze84

When it comes to war and healthcare, I couldn't agree more lol