For Black Kids in America, a Degree Is No Guarantee (Even if its STEM)

Options
StillFaggyAF
StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
lead.jpg?n68qx9

The Ivy-League-educated barista who can't find a job that pays enough to live anywhere besides her childhood bedroom. The freshly minted MBA and law-school graduates strapped with debt and frustrated about the six-figure jobs and master-of-the-universe titles that haven't materialized.

Nearly five years after the Great Recession officially ended, the struggles and dampened expectations of young college graduates have become a fixture of American politics and even popular culture. But amid all the focus on the difficulties of college-educated millennials, one facet of this upheaval has remained largely unexplored: the continued significance of race.

As a new crop of college graduates joins the American workforce, unemployment rates among minorities with degrees remain distinctly elevated and their economic prospects disproportionately dimmed, a new report released by the Center for Economic and Policy Research has found.

In 2013, the most recent period for which unemployment data are available by both race and educational attainment, 12.4 percent of black college graduates between the ages of 22 and 27 were unemployed. For all college graduates in the same age range, the unemployment rate stood at just 5.6 percent. The figures point to an ugly truth: Black college graduates are more than twice as likely to be unemployed.

"We absolutely aren't trying to discourage people from going to college," said John Schmitt, a senior economist at the Washington-based Center for Economic and Policy Research who coauthored the study. "College degrees do have value. But what we are trying to show here is that this is not about individuals, or individual effort. There is simply overwhelming evidence that discrimination remains a major feature of the labor market."

Schmitt pointed to a series of studies that have in recent years found that when trained sets of black and white testers with identical resumes are sent on interviews, white men with recent criminal histories are far more likely to receive calls back than black men with no criminal record at all.

In fact, the center's study found that even black students who majored in high-demand fields such as engineering fare only slightly better than those who spent their college years earning liberal arts degrees. Between 2010 and 2012, 10 percent of black college graduates with engineering degrees and 11 percent of those with math and computer-related degrees were unemployed, compared with 6 percent of all engineering graduates and 7 percent of all those who focused their studies on math and computers.

College-educated blacks are also more likely than all others with degrees to confront underemployment, which the study defined as working in jobs that don't require a four-year degree. The proportion of young African-American college graduates who are underemployed has spiked since 2007 by fully 10 percentage points to a striking 56 percent. During that same period, underemployment among all recent college graduates has edged up only slightly to around 45 percent.

The study also found that among older college graduates, the gap in the unemployment rate narrows but doesn't disappear. Bureau of Labor Statistics data indicates that in 2013, 3.5 percent of all white college graduates were unemployed while nearly 6 percent of all black college graduates sought work but could not find it.

More From National Journal

Many studies have found that workers unable to find steady employment during their first years in the labor market often pay long-term costs. During the first five years after school, people try on, discard and pick up better-fitting careers, develop key skills, typically make major income gains, and begin to plug into the professional networks that provide training, contacts, and new job opportunities in the future. When unemployment disrupts that process it can permanently alter the trajectory of a worker's lifetime earnings, economists have concluded.

The situation for other minorities falls somewhere in between that of blacks and whites, according to federal data. In 2013, the share of all college-educated Asian-Americans who were unemployed roughly equaled the proportion of whites: 3.6 percent. All Hispanic college graduates faced a 5 percent unemployment rate, more than whites but less than African-Americans.

For most of the past 50 years, the overall black unemployment rate has remained twice as high as the white unemployment rate. That gap has consistently grown larger during times of economic distress. Indeed, the center study found that the gap between the unemployment rate for young African-American college graduates and all other graduates has soared from 3.7 percentage points in 2007 to 6.8 points today.

"This study—its findings, as terrible as they are—honestly should not come as a shock to anyone who is willing to face the truth about employment and unemployment in the United States," said Nancy DiTomaso, a professor at Rutgers University who studies inequality and organizational diversity.

DiTomaso says the study, like other research, challenges the assumption that opportunity is available to all Americans who equip themselves with the right skills. Private-sector labor data reported to the federal government shows little change in the share of management and executive-level jobs held by racial and ethnic minorities since the 1980s, she said. In fact, in industries that offer workers the best wages, the share of white men in these jobs has actually grown.

The center's study noted that half of the nation's management, professional, and related occupations—those the study described as fields where many college graduates ultimately work—employ a disproportionately small share of black male workers.

In her 2013 book, The American Non-Dilemma: Racial Inequality Without Racism, DiTomaso concluded that racial inequality isn't rooted solely in racist ideas or conscious efforts to exclude some groups from distinct opportunities. Instead, she argued that informal networks allow whites, who still hold most of the decision-making positions in the private economy, to hoard and distribute advantage among their family and friends, who tend to be mostly white.

While researching her book, DiTomaco conducted 246 interviews with working-class and middle-class white individuals over a decade in Tennessee, Ohio, and New Jersey. DiTomaso gathered detailed job histories and information about the way her study participants obtained jobs over the course of their careers. The whites among those DiTomaso interviewed found 70 percent of the jobs they held over their lifetimes through inside information shared by a family member, friend, or neighbor, a direct intervention (someone walking a resume into a hiring manager's office or a direct request that a family member or friend get an open job) or other means not open to the general public.

"I think it's high time," DiTomaso said, "that we really started to look closely not just at the ways that the labor market is biased against blacks but the ways in which it is biased in favor of whites."

The researchers behind the center's study of black college graduate employment patterns emphasized the role that the recession has played in dampening every worker's employment prospects. But they concluded that the long-term unemployment crisis among black college graduates ultimately could not be explained without accounting for continuing discrimination against black applicants.

One of their final pieces of evidence: A study pushed into the national spotlight last month in which partners at a number of law firms scored the same memo far differently when told that the author was white or black. "Those are the institutional factors that have a long-term effect on people's economic lives," Schmitt said.

Comments

• THIRDSUPREME
    THIRDSUPREME Members Posts: 7,519 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Dr.Chemix
    Dr.Chemix Members Posts: 11,816 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Didn't we do this thread already?
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We can't win when we win
  • bigduece69
    bigduece69 Members Posts: 387 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It took me almost two years to find a job that paid well enough with my degree. My sister n law is going through the same thing right now.

That's why it pays to network and build connects through internships, before graduation, which is what I wish I would have done.
  • CP203
    CP203 Members Posts: 10,421 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And this is why I told my mom ? college
  • MR.CJ
    MR.CJ Members Posts: 64,689 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    hoesarefun wrote: »
    And this is why I told my mom ? college

It's an investment in yourself. If the numbers don't look right, don't go through with it.
  • NothingButTheTruth
    NothingButTheTruth Members Posts: 10,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    bigduece69 wrote: »
    It took me almost two years to find a job that paid well enough with my degree. My sister n law is going through the same thing right now.

That's why it pays to network and build connects through internships, before graduation, which is what I wish I would have done.

2 years isn't a long time to find what you consider a good job. You did better than you think you did.

The networking thing is more of a scapegoat, because no matter how well you think you network, they'll hit you with the "you don't fit the culture" look and hit the other person with the, "you remind me of me when I was little" gesture.

I agree with internships though. Those are extremely important since you're getting real work experience in your field.
  • tearjerker
    tearjerker Members Posts: 153 ✭✭
    Options
    How many of these graduates have ethnic names like Zayveon, Emequiez, or Shyesha?
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

2 years isn't a long time to find what you consider a good job. You did better than you think you did.

The networking thing is more of a scapegoat, because no matter how well you think you network, they'll hit you with the "you don't fit the culture" look and hit the other person with the, "you remind me of me when I was little" gesture.

I agree with internships though. Those are extremely important since you're getting real work experience in your field.

Networking will get you a long way. Thing is networking is another word for favoritism, nepotism and/or cronyism. We know that it is in the workplace and it will never leave so we gave it another name.
  • blackrain
    blackrain Members, Moderators Posts: 27,269 Regulator
    Options

A lot don't get that. They just think you graduate and people come rushing to you with job offers. Graduating should be nowhere near the beginning of your job search.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    We did this already. Our conclusions:
    Black ppl stink
    They sag their pants
    They aren't bilingual
    They don't have their own discriminatory networks
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Too long an article for me finish yet, but Degrees are good to a point for blacks. I'll give people that. There's some things a degree is good for that are personal that are hard to get socially and understanding and seeing things from a certain view point that is hard to get if you didn't go to school. On another note: a degree for blacks (as to your point) is not going to allow you to raise up from nothing but being a preference over another black male who doesn't have a degree. That's the end of how your degree will serve you. A trade and a skill (which you typically acquire to some form with a Master's Degree or going to a technical school, or just being lucky enough to have someone teach it to you) is the only thing black males have to look forward to that will keep us employed by a company or self-employed. If you ain't on that, then you have to be working and proving yourself alot and you will forever have a harder time.
  • luke1733
    luke1733 Members Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    This last line describes my college experience exactly. I had to have my papers regraded often to get a higher grade on my essays. Some TA's (I didn't find the same problem with professors) let their disagreements on some topics or prejudices on others effect grading a paper. I remember getting two essays regraded. This experience helped in the job field too, cause I learned when I got turned down for a job I wanted to keep calling and getting other people's names at the company and use those who WILL help to help your chances of improving your....grade.
    Here's the quote
    One of their final pieces of evidence: A study pushed into the national spotlight last month in which partners at a number of law firms scored the same memo far differently when told that the author was white or black. "Those are the institutional factors that have a long-term effect on people's economic lives," Schmitt said.
    I know my experience is a little different than the quote, but when they knew I was black I received a lower grade. When I took my paper with no grade on it to another professor on campus and told them the assignment and asked them to read it and tell me what grade they think I should receive; I received a higher grade.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Finding a job is difficult for a lot of post grads. Regardless of colour.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Karl. wrote: »

Right. The point is its harder for blacks because of racism.
  • Karl.
    Karl. Members Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Darxwell wrote: »
    Karl. wrote: »

Right. The point is its harder for blacks because of racism.

That's right.
  • HafBayked
    HafBayked Members Posts: 16,248 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    take it all in stride/ teacher talkin physics and I just wanna be fly
    what good is a degree when there's no job to apply?
    and fast food wont do cuz you overqualified

IM FEELIN LIKE HUSALIIIIN
  • ElQueefo
    ElQueefo Members Posts: 71
    Options
    White people just walk down the street and get offered six figure jobs
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Took me two years but hey that's life.
  • jill
    jill Members Posts: 327 ✭✭✭