Easier.....Front End or Back End Development?

Options
GTariq
GTariq Members Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭✭
What do you all think is easier to get into as far as software development goes? Front End or Back End?

I currently have a little bit of experience in both (1.5 years worth), but I feel Front End would give me the best chance to land a new entry/junior level software development position.

Back End is a bit more challenging to me at the current time, plus I kind of enjoy creating/playing around with things. I also enjoy the idea of a good User Experience with an interface.

I do understand that Front End Devs make less money compared to Back End Devs.

Comments

• SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In my experience you should try to do both very well. If you do that you'll always have options and when you're actually working you won't find yourself having to rely so much on other people in your team/department/company being competent because oftentimes they just aren't.

I know that's not a cut and dry either/or answer but really you should pick whichever one you like doing more but don't neglect the other since there will be times when you're doing back-end work and fe devs will tell you something isn't possible when it actually is or times when you're doing front-end and you're at the mercy of the DBA or some bogus back-end coder that doesn't know how to implement what you need.

I personally prefer to do all three since I'm a control freak but also if you do freelance work a lot of times you'll be working for clients that don't understand the idea of hiring 3 different developers (plus a designer and/or information architect) to do one project so it's good to be able to do it all at least on a small scale.

• GTariq
    Options
    Naw I definitely get what you're saying...

I do want to maintain/improve on my backend experience. It's just I feel I can get a entry level job faster at front end then back end at the moment.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This is not the thread I thought it was.
  • traestar
    traestar Members Posts: 6,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Front End is easier, but then it all matters on your expertise. Front end is basically "designing" the look and feel of the website, software, app, etc. Back End is handling the nuts and bolts of how the website, software, or app operates. Both have their difficulties and like SneakDZA said, you want to know both sides...but if your looking at the easier of the two, it would be front end.
  • orion4bbw
    orion4bbw Members Posts: 44 ✭✭
    Options
    I would say Front End is easier to get into career wise. As front end technologies grow more advanced front end development gets alot more complex. There are so many front end frameworks out there it is hard to keep up with it all

As a backend developer the projects are more complex, your analytical thinking comes into play, it is a little harder than front end, and also more cumbersome to test. It also depends on what technology you are using.
    These are the technologies i have experience in

.NET ... great amount of resources out there to learn, massive libraries, and many various frameworks. if you go this route learn .NET MVC 4 !!

Java.. too much ? code to do anything ... do not attempt to develop any backend code in java without a framework like Spring + Hibernate combination

PHP and Python ... easiest to pick up and gives u a more direct sense of how client server development works without ALOT OF LAYERS that the other frameworks put on.
  • GTariq
    Options
    orion4bbw wrote: »
    I would say Front End is easier to get into career wise. As front end technologies grow more advanced front end development gets alot more complex. There are so many front end frameworks out there it is hard to keep up with it all

As a backend developer the projects are more complex, your analytical thinking comes into play, it is a little harder than front end, and also more cumbersome to test. It also depends on what technology you are using.
    These are the technologies i have experience in

.NET ... great amount of resources out there to learn, massive libraries, and many various frameworks. if you go this route learn .NET MVC 4 !!

Java.. too much ? code to do anything ... do not attempt to develop any backend code in java without a framework like Spring + Hibernate combination

PHP and Python ... easiest to pick up and gives u a more direct sense of how client server development works without ALOT OF LAYERS that the other frameworks put on.

I have some experience in .NET (mainly old ASP.NET) and little MVC 3

Java was considered the core language for us to learn at my previous job because that was the main tech for a major client we were working for so I have some experience in that. Spring was very difficult for me to learn personally because there was so much to it that I could not grasp.

I learned PHP for maybe two weeks before I stopped and got sent to a client back in the day.

I have more backend exp based on my resume compared to front end but again I just wasn't getting it to where I could improve quickly imo.

• sicklyill
    sicklyill Members Posts: 16
    Options
    I think front end is easier because the changes are more subjective, whereas if you make a change on the backend, you have to make sure it's perfect most of the time otherwise you could bring you whole site down.
  • nex gin
    nex gin Members Posts: 10,698 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Learn both. I prefer back end development because it's more of a challenge. Front end developing can get boring after a while.
  • GTariq
    Options
    nex gin wrote: »
    Learn both. I prefer back end development because it's more of a challenge. Front end developing can get boring after a while.

No doubt. I went from learning Javascript to getting into ASP.NET because of a potential job opportunity.