Rumors: Miami Heat could sign Carmelo Anthony with creative finances...

Options
124»

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't even think Melo is all that great, but if this happens the Front Office is more an MVP for the Heat than LBJ has ever been. Seriously, as great as LBJ is, these personnel moves are what has kept the team in Championship contention more than anything else.
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    thebiglead.com/2014/06/12/carmelo-miami-and-the-nba-owners-failure-to-deter-the-super-team/
    Carmelo, Miami, and the NBA Owners' Failure to Deter the 'Super Team'

The Miami Heat are in the middle of the NBA Finals so naturally the focus has shifted to discussing their upcoming offseason. This is not necessarily a complaint — it’s happening here, after all — and the possibility broached by Brian Windhorst and Marc Stein that LeBron, Wade, Bosh, and Melo will all sacrifice money to bolster up a top-heavy lineup in Miami is tantalizing. This isn’t just true on the court, which was covered well at Sports on Earth by Sean Highkin, but is also fascinating because it would completely subvert the NBA owners’ intent to rid the sport of the “super team” in the 2011 Collective Bargaining Agreement.

In negotiations with the players three years ago, the owners wanted and got more money for themselves (the percentage of money from “basketball related income” devoted to salaries dropped several percentage points) as well as the increasing of revenue sharing and luxury taxes. Repeat salary cap offenders, a category in which the Heat would purportedly find themselves this offseason, are severely penalized.

“The rules are in place to eliminate these star players from jumping from team-to-team, to end up on one big team,” said Charlotte owner Michael Jordan in 2013. “That kills the parity within the league.”

“We went through this lockout for a reason,” said Mavericks owner Mark Cuban, in support of David Stern’s nixing the trade which would have sent Chris Paul from New Orleans to the Lakers (Paul would soon end up with Blake Griffin in the same big market), in 2011. “Again, I’m not speaking for Stern. He’s not telling me his thought process. I’m just telling you my perspective, having gone through all this. There’s a reason that we went through this lockout, and one of the reasons is to give small-market teams the ability to keep their stars and the ability to compete.”

The kicker in Stein and Windhorst’s report was that, in addition to the gobs of money LeBron makes in endorsements and other business and entertainment ventures, the Heat superstar’s equity stake in Beats By Dre realized $30 million in profits when the company was acquired by Apple. He makes so much more money off the court than the NBA’s CBA permits teams to bid for him, and it’s probable that any income he sacrifices en route to more titles would be multiply returned by later commercial opportunities.

Now, there aren’t and won’t exactly be too many NBA players whose off-court earnings can exceed the max contract. According to SI, Dwyane Wade, Carmelo Anthony, and Chris Bosh made $11.5M, $5.8M, and $1.0M respectively in endorsements last year. LeBron reportedly earned $39M away from basketball in 2013 — more than twice his average annual basketball salary – so taking the lesser amount of money that would be required for the four players to team up without Miami incurring insane luxury tax charges would be a lesser comparative sacrifice for him than the other three.

(Still, the idea that we’re talking about this with LeBron, who is the best player in the world by so much, is bananas. To make the dreaded Michael Jordan comparison, MJ made over $30 million his last two seasons with the Bulls as Scottie Pippen never cracked $3 million in Chicago. What would LeBron command on a true open market with no cap or max restrictions? $50 million? More?)

If the “Big Four” signed for, say, $14 million per year each, it would cost the three current Heat players about $7 million and Carmelo about $9 million next year based on what they would earn if they didn’t opt out of their current contracts. Not that they’d definitely or even probably be inclined to, but the Knicks could offer Carmelo $129 million for five years right now. So, a lot of sacrifices would have to be made by them — again, especially by the three other than LeBron — but it’d be fascinating if it somehow happened. Four superstars taking pay cuts?

It’s not just the Heat who are building a team with max-worthy players taking less to play with each other. Though their core is homegrown, the Spurs could afford to keep that intact, and build auxiliary parts from other teams’ castoffs, because Tim Duncan’s made about half of his market value the past two seasons (and Manu Ginobili’s salary went from $14.1M to $7.5M this past season). Not every team can make this work — the Lakers are stuck paying a depreciated Kobe Bryant the max while the Thunder would not go over the luxury tax to keep James Harden.

Nevertheless, the stated purpose of the 2011 Lockout — to achieve competitive balance – remains unrealized as players continue to leverage control over where and with whom they play (see also: Love, Kevin). While the owners can take solace in the fact that they did succeed in clawing back money from the players — as the Clippers sell for $2 billion (pending whatever zaniness Donald Sterling still has left in store) and Adam Silver says the business of the league has “never been better” — the authority to curb willful player movement appears to be irrevocably lost.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    coop9889 wrote: »
    For one, it wouldn't necessarily improve the heat. They dont need a player like carmelo who needs 20-25 shots a game.

Secondly, why is everyone against this whole 'teaming up' notion?

If you were in their shoes wouldn't you want the best players on your team?

I would WANT 10 superstars on my team and go 82-0 every year.

Lol @ it wouldn't improve the Heat. Melo doesn't need 20 to 25 shots a game to be effective. That's just on the Knicks where he feels like he has to for the team to be competitive this year. Stop being so close-minded and understand what it means to be a superstar.

People like Melo and them are superstars because they can change their game up and still be effective no matter who their teammates are. The same way Wade, Bosh, and to a smaller extent Lebron changed his game up, so can Melo.... quite easily actually. He's great at moving off the ball, he's a very good offensive rebounder, he's a good spot-up shooter etc.

lol @ this, finally a decent point

• John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    This kind of stuff is not good for the League IMO... the league parity is already pretty ?
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    This kind of stuff is not good for the League IMO... the league parity is already pretty ?

You can look at it like that or the other way around and say it forces players on other teams to step their game up if they wanna win, everybody in the league are professionals
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Competition in the First round of the playoffs had me thinking I underestimated the league parity
  • stringer bell
    stringer bell Members Posts: 26,212 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/carmelo-plans-opt-heat-eyeing-knicks-all-star-article-1.1827316
    Carmelo Anthony still plans to opt out of Knicks contract, Heat reportedly plan to pursue All-Star for ‘Big Four’

MIAMI — Carmelo Anthony hasn't wavered from his year-long intent to become a free agent on July 1st despite Phil Jackson's hopes to keep Anthony under contract through the 2014-15 season.

Barring a dramatic change of heart, Anthony will opt out of his contact and become an unrestricted free agent on July 1st, the Daily News has learned.

Jackson revealed two weeks ago that he suggested to Anthony to "opt in" and postpone his free agency until July 1, 2015 which would give the Knicks added flexibility to pursue another "max" free agent. However, a Knicks source claims that Anthony will stick to his plan to test free agency next month.

Anthony has until June 23rd to notify the Knicks of his intentions to opt out.

That doesn't mean that Anthony won't re-sign with the Knicks, especially when the club can offer him the most money.

But even Jackson admitted he is concerned about losing Anthony to free agency because it "only takes one team." That one team could be the Miami Heat.

ESPN reported that the Heat are planning to make a run at Anthony and can do so if LeBron James, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh all opt out of their current deals, become free agents and take less money.

Jackson has made comments in the past that suggest he is bracing himself for Anthony leaving, saying that the Knicks would consider themselves "fortunate" if Anthony stays or leaves.

Neither Anthony nor his agent Leon Rose have commented on Anthony's future. They are expected to meet with Jackson either Thursday or Friday before Jackson heads to Turkey for vacation.

While Anthony and Rose have been quiet about Anthony's pending free agency, Jackson has been outspoken regarding Anthony's contract status. First, Jackson told the press that he hopes Anthony takes less money and three weeks later said publicly that he hopes Anthony doesn't opt out.

Jackson has never been one to hold his tongue, but as an executive his public comments about Anthony could backfire. Anthony may not appreciate Jackson discussing his contract in the media. Of course, Jackson's plan may be to have Anthony walk and prepare the Knicks for the free agent class of 2015.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    blu197 wrote: »

You can look at it like that or the other way around and say it forces players on other teams to step their game up if they wanna win, everybody in the league are professionals
    blu197 wrote: »

Nah. Everyone in the league is a professional, but not everyone is a superstar. It's just a fact that some people are just flat out better than others. When you pile the best players on a few teams you essentially lower the overall competitiveness in the league. Miami has made it to the Finals four years in a row. That would be impressive if not for the fact that there really haven't been any good teams in the East over that period of time.

• Neophyte Wolfgang
    Neophyte Wolfgang Members Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I'll stop watching the NBA
  • zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »

You ain't a fan

• VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Right, this ? is corny and anyone paying money to see it are fools. The quality of teams out there are low. Everyone knew the Heat were doing to the finals and either OKC or the Spurs were going to play them.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zerocool wrote: »
    I Am Jay ? wrote: »

You ain't a fan
    A real fan wants competition.It's more satisfying to see a team over come obstacles to win it all than for them to win easily.
  • mike06
    mike06 Members Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    that ? would be wack and scary at the same damn time....Wade would literally need new knees for it to be effective...he looks done...it's crazy how Melo and James were suppose to be the new Larry and Magic and rival each other for years but now for them to actually want to play on the same team looks weak IMO...and being in a good market like NY idk why Melo wont take less up there and help bring in talent around him....i'd rather see Melo with his super team built up going up against Lebron's super team and see what happens

is it me or is KD that only ? left that actually WANTS TO BEAT LEBRON....instead of joining him

it would be so many ? ass ? takin pennies and food stamps just to ride their coattails to a chip...lol
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The ball will definitely stick if this happens..

Too many egos...I don't think Spo would be able to handle the egos..off the court/media blitz that will come at this team if Melo joins...that off the court stuff is a distraction in itself alone...

The only coach who may be able to handle is an old vet..like a Pat Riley.. or Bird etc...or a Larry Brown...
  • T. Sanford
    T. Sanford Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 25,291 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    mike06 wrote: »
    that ? would be wack and scary at the same damn time....Wade would literally need new knees for it to be effective...he looks done...it's crazy how Melo and James were suppose to be the new Larry and Magic and rival each other for years but now for them to actually want to play on the same team looks weak IMO...and being in a good market like NY idk why Melo wont take less up there and help bring in talent around him....i'd rather see Melo with his super team built up going up against Lebron's super team and see what happens

is it me or is KD that only ? left that actually WANTS TO BEAT LEBRON....instead of joining him

it would be so many ? ass ? takin pennies and food stamps just to ride their coattails to a chip...lol

@1st bolded, I said that to a coworker yesterday. You wouldn't ever seen Magic signing to Boston or Bird signing to LA to win a championship. & especially in their PRIME. Most these new ? got the game all messed up

@2nd bolded, DRose too well before he got hurt
  • ericb4prez
    ericb4prez Members Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    zerocool wrote: »
    @ what point does pride come in?

For who?
  • 1CK1S
    1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If they sign him... I'm not playing 2k15 online, cause I can see the them being everybody's first team choice.
  • blu197
    blu197 Members Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    1CK1S wrote: »
    If they sign him... I'm not playing 2k15 online, cause I can see the them being everybody's first team choice.

? they better start letting us use classic teams online if they sign him
  • God_Yunn
    God_Yunn Members Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It could work but if wade opts out I would look at Lance first before Wade and if Lance doesn't work I'd offer Wade less than Bosh and James.

Wade isn't on a superstar level anymore. Misses too many games and makes alot of mistakes,plus he is not a great outside shooter.

Personally I think they need to upgrade the point guard position. Cole and mostly Chalmers just don't do it for them and they don't ask for much out of that position.
  • buttuh_b
    buttuh_b Members Posts: 13,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Wade would be stupid to opt out. All the players gotta opt out for this to happen unless Bosh dips.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Man if melo leaves than he leaves it is what it is but that's all we need is a committed star and competent front office to get some pieces whether through trades or in the draft.