Basketball culture shift: mentally and physically tougher guards and softer forward/centers

Options
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14 Members Posts: 15,337 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in From the Cheap Seats
I had a discussion with my dad during game 3 of the finals the other day. And i was trying to explain to him how my generation (im 23) undersized guards are the only ? that have anything close to that mental toughness of old basketball while forwards and big men seem to be softer and less agressive (for the most part).

Being a uconn fan i saw undersized guards this year and 2011 ? the ? outta soft big men and score in the paint all day. This year shabazz napier did it vs top tier teams like Mich St. Florida and Kentucky. Kemba back in 2011 sonned the big east big men and had that by any means willpower than made him win. Modern nba you look at the guys like harden, and rose, and curry and they honestly have more ? going to the hole than durant bosh and sometimes even lebron who can be timid going to the hoop.

I think late 80's early 90's cats in my age range who are short had to still be tough to make it d1 or nba being undersized. But the big men growing up under jordan and seeing kobe as they got to middle/high school stopped going back to the basket and started thinking like guards. What do you guys think?

Comments

• playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Options
    We have plenty of gritty forwards and centers though thats an erroneous overstatement that gets screamed often

Pek
    Gasol
    Noah
    Randolph
    Lee
    Nene
    West
    Jefferson
    Milsap
    Ibaka
    Griffin
    Cousins
    Drummond
    Howard

Just off the top of the head
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    We have plenty of gritty forwards and centers though thats an erroneous overstatement that gets screamed often

Pek
    Gasol
    Noah
    Randolph
    Lee
    Nene
    West
    Jefferson
    Milsap
    Ibaka
    Griffin
    Cousins
    Drummond
    Howard

Just off the top of the head

But some of those players mentally are not as tough as forwards and centers of yesterday from gasol's lack of consistency to dwight howards bitchassness and even andre drummond at uconn was inconsistent. Theres something about the mindset of the majority of big men under 25 that is different.

• zerocool
    zerocool Members Posts: 3,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its a guard oriented league now.....america is not developing their forwards and center.....
    ? has to do with the big man european complex
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I thought we were talkin physicality you can easily call the present players on the couch because they are PRESENT

Marc Gasol
  • Shizlansky
    Shizlansky Members Posts: 35,095 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't get this how y'all think this dudes are mentally soft.

What degree do y'all hold to make that statement. .
  • MeekMonizzLLLLLLe14
    Options
    This isn't a basketball issue. It's a social issue.

The kids are softer in general.

But there is something to be said that you have these shorter guards in the league driving to the whole more fearless than some of these big men though. like i said kemba and shabazz were guards who went up against big men and had their way whereas in the early 2000's and late 90s they wouldn't have been able to do so.
  • KNiGHTS
    KNiGHTS Members Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It used to be funny watching Shaq body check cats trying to dunk. Then the next play they'd have him one on one and pull up for a fast break jumper instead of getting within arm's length of him.

Smh@calling Cousins mentally tough though. Word? Griffin? Howard? Cuz...
  • JusDre313
    JusDre313 Members Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Shizlansky wrote: »
    I don't get this how y'all think this dudes are mentally soft.

What degree do y'all hold to make that statement. .

thank you bruh.... this that skip bayless ? .. how the hell can someone KNOW another person is "mentally weak".. foh.. whats crazier is most people buy into this ? smh