Teaching creationism as scientifically valid now banned in all UK public schools

Options
BIGG WILL
BIGG WILL Members Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in The Social Lounge
LONDON, June 18 (UPI) --The United Kingdom has banned the teaching of creationism as scientifically valid in all schools receiving public funding.
The government released a new set of funding agreements last week including clauses which specifically prohibit pseudoscience.

"The parties acknowledge that clauses 2.43 and 2.44 of the Funding Agreement [which preclude the teaching of pseudoscience and require the teaching of evolution] apply to all academies. They explicitly require that pupils are taught about the theory of evolution, and prevent academy trusts from teaching 'creationism' as scientific fact," one clause reads.

The funding agreement defines creationism as "any doctrine or theory which holds that natural biological processes cannot account for the history, diversity, and complexity of life on earth and therefore rejects the scientific theory of evolution," and goes on to note that this idea is rejected not only by the scientific community but most mainstream churches as well.

"It does not accord with the scientific consensus or the very large body of established scientific evidence; nor does it accurately and consistently employ the scientific method, and as such it should not be presented to pupils at the Academy as a scientific theory," the agreement states.

The funding agreement notes that the discussion of beliefs about the origin of the Earth including creationism are permitted in religious education "as long as it is not presented as a valid alternative to established scientific theory."

The British Humanist Association has been lobbying against the instruction of creationism since 2011 with its Teach Evolutionism, Not Creationism campaign.

The BHA is currently celebrating the UK government's declaration that "the requirement on every academy and free school to provide a broad and balanced curriculum ... prevents the teaching of creationism as evidence based theory in any academy or free school."

"We believe that this means that the objectives of the campaign are largely met. We congratulate the Government on its robust stance on this issue," said BHA Head of Public Affairs Pavan Dhaliwal in a statement on the organization's website.

The United Kingdom's position on creationism in the classroom and public discourse is an interesting parallel to the United States', where celebrity scientist BIll Nye engages in public debate about the validity of creationism and two states, South Carolina and Missouri, saw anti-evolution bills proposed in the last month.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2014/06/18/Teaching-creationism-as-scientifically-valid-now-banned-in-all-UK-public-schools/5631403128922/#ixzz35Bnlcb4v

Comments

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ this qoute:

""It does not accord with the scientific consensus or the very large body of established scientific evidence; nor does it accurately and consistently employ the scientific method, and as such it should not be presented to pupils at the Academy as a scientific theory," the agreement states."

ROFLMAO @ the underlined.

Hypocrite much scientific community?

So you bash the truth because the truth "does not accurately and consistently employ the scientific method"?

BUT

yet you propagate the lie of evolution and say that you do "accurately and consistently employ the scientific method?"

ROFMLAO.......wheredeydodatat??????? Everywhere I guess. SMH

The first step in the scientific method has never been used by the theory of Evolution!!!!!!!!!!!!

No one has ever OBSERVED one species changing into another species!!!!!!!!

IT HAS NEVER BEEN OBSERVED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss me with this hypocritical nonsense. Nothing but wolves in sheeps clothing. ? will have no mercy on all those who taught rebellion against the LORD on the day of Judgment. ? will get the last laugh. He always does. Amen.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    American education loses again.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    http://youtu.be/UTedvV6oZjo
    "The purpose of education isn't to validate ignorance but to overcome it"- Lawrence Krauss
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    why is a theory or proposed theory being banned? everything should be taught in schools and schools should encourage free thinking through different theories and ideas. If were banning things based on what people believed happened then greek mythology should be banned.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited June 2014
    Options
    lol @ this qoute:

""It does not accord with the scientific consensus or the very large body of established scientific evidence; nor does it accurately and consistently employ the scientific method, and as such it should not be presented to pupils at the Academy as a scientific theory," the agreement states."

So you bash the truth because the truth "does not accurately and consistently employ the scientific method"?

BUT

yet you propagate the lie of evolution and say that you do "accurately and consistently employ the scientific method?"

The first step in the scientific method has never been used by the theory of Evolution!!!!!!!!!!!!

Miss me with this hypocritical nonsense. Nothing but wolves in sheeps clothing. ? will have no mercy on all those who taught rebellion against the LORD on the day of Judgment. ? will get the last laugh. He always does. Amen.

What do you think dog breeding over generations has shown? Selective adaptation and selective breeding have shown evolution at work. Right now birds are developing new bird calls in the Amazon and Madagascar to imitate mobile phones, chainsaws and other sounds new to the environment.

You don't even ? know what you are talking about.

Huh?

Dog breeds don't prove evolution, nor do birds making new calls. WTH????

Evolution specifically teaches that one organism changes into a completely different organism.

A poodle, a Doberman, a rottie, a bulldog, a hound, etc. are still ALL dogs. They did not change into a completely different species of animal. ? created the animals and told them to produce after their OWN kind. That is exactly what we see happening now and in the past. Hence the reason why the fossil record contains no missing links which shows the transition of one species into another species.

If evolution was true, which it isn't, the fossil record would provide AMPLE evidence that this has occurred. But yet the fossil record has laid a complete goose egg in regards to providing the evidence.

Only a complete buffoon would believe in such nonsense. Amen

• Copper
    edited June 2014
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    Copper wrote: »
    why is a theory or proposed theory being banned? everything should be taught in schools and schools should encourage free thinking through different theories and ideas. If were banning things based on what people believed happened then greek mythology should be banned.

It's banned from being taught as scientifically valid not banned in total. Also, creationism isn't really a theory since it's already been disproved many times over.

Well ? I admittedly didn't read the o/p just the title

And the whole creationism has been disproved can be debated till the end of time and if a divine power does exist you cant prove it disapprove his existence (also debatable) agnosticism
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    creationism is an alternate explanation not an alternate answer.

correct science always gives you answers but they don't always delete the explanations of creationism.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe in ? and evolution.
  • Copper
    Options
    JerryNoir wrote: »
    I believe in ? and evolution.

Most people think if you believe in one you can't believe in the other
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    lol @ this qoute:

BUT

What do you think dog breeding over generations has shown? Selective adaptation and selective breeding have shown evolution at work. Right now birds are developing new bird calls in the Amazon and Madagascar to imitate mobile phones, chainsaws and other sounds new to the environment.

You don't even ? know what you are talking about.

Huh?

Dog breeds don't prove evolution, nor do birds making new calls. WTH????

Evolution specifically teaches that one organism changes into a completely different organism.

A poodle, a Doberman, a rottie, a bulldog, a hound, etc. are still ALL dogs. They did not change into a completely different species of animal. ? created the animals and told them to produce after their OWN kind. That is exactly what we see happening now and in the past. Hence the reason why the fossil record contains no missing links which shows the transition of one species into another species.

If evolution was true, which it isn't, the fossil record would provide AMPLE evidence that this has occurred. But yet the fossil record has laid a complete goose egg in regards to providing the evidence.

Only a complete buffoon would believe in such nonsense. Amen

So breeding dogs selectively over many generations to look completely different, adapt to different environments and jobs etc doesn't prove evolution?

Birds evolving completely different vocal abilities in the last 30 years doesn't prove it either?

Science and techonlogy are proven to have value and work, that's how you even have wifi internet access, scientific theory has been worked on and the technology made to allow what was once theory to become reality.

Honestly, who is letting you use their computer if you're this ? stupid? I hope they've got it insured. Your ignorance and stupidity are pitiful. You can point a ? to knowledge, but you can't make them think.

Bruh, you have jumped the shark. Stop changing the topic at hand. I'm not against science or the scientific method. I am against science falsely so called.

That would be evolution, which is complete and utter nonsense.

Selective breeding doesn't prove evolution. Why are you grasping at air?

I can't believe that I don't even support nor believe in the lie of evolution but yet i have more understanding of what it teaches than those who would give their soul up defending it.

How many times do I have to repeat myself? Evolution teaches that one species changes into a COMPLETLY DIFFERENT species.

Stop giving me these nonsensical examples that clearly do not prove that evolution is true

The first step in the scientific method is OBSERVATION!

No one and I repeat NO ONE has ever OBSERVED one species change into a completely different species!

Even the fossil record contains no record of this happening. Because if evolution was true, the fossil record should LITERALLY be littered with transitional fossils showing this great phenomenon taking place!

But the fossil record is empty. Scientist try to pull rabbits out of their ? to save face, but they have utterly been defeated in their feeble attempts.

Evolution is a lie from the father of lies. He has the whole world under darkness and it's tragic that so many souls will be lost for all eternity because they refused love and the simplicity of the gospel message. Amen
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SneakDZA wrote: »

It's banned from being taught as scientifically valid not banned in total. Also, creationism isn't really a theory since it's already been disproved many times over.

Well ? I admittedly didn't read the o/p just the title

And the whole creationism has been disproved can be debated till the end of time and if a divine power does exist you cant prove it disapprove his existence (also debatable) agnosticism

I didn't say or mean that the existence of ? has been disproved, just creationism. Creationism has been disproved repeatedly to all but the most stubborn zealots, idiots and lunatics.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    Creationism hasn't been disproved. Stop lying.
  • VulcanRaven
    VulcanRaven Members Posts: 18,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Greek mythology is called mythology for a reason.It's a "myth" like Christian beliefs.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Creationism as a science is false and should be banned because it doesn't employ the scientific method which is the most logical step in getting facts. Hardcover believers are simple minded folks a creator and evolution is logical. You reading from people who lived in tents and couldn't build nothing beyond that without help. I wouldn't use their knowledge of technological expertise and genetic to any worth.
  • REV_RAGE
    REV_RAGE Members Posts: 675 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Creationism? Aliens with ultra-tech and a level of understanding? Does't matter to me, I have become pretty efficient at turning and tuning ? like this out. Waste of my time and energy to debate, don't have any PhD on the related subjects and not getting paid to philosophize or hypothesize over it.
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    My question is: who still teaches Creationism in schools, anyway? I thought the whole "church vs. state" thing stopped that years ago, outside of private schools.

LOL @ the UK finally catching up.
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's too early in the damn morning to be reading through this ? .
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No one can
    Evolution does not happen in one generation
    It is impossible for natural selection to facilitate the change of one species to another over the course of a single generation
    It happens over many generations which is why the closest we get to seeing it is in insects and microorganisms

You do not get an offspring that is incapable of breeding with it's parents in one generation of change (exception to hybrids)
    It is impossible and by demanding it as proof you only highlight your ignorance
  • OmegaConflict
    OmegaConflict Members Posts: 39,030 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    lol @ this qoute:

BUT

? talk
  • CeLLaR-DooR
    CeLLaR-DooR Members Posts: 18,880 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Boy I can't recall learnin' about creationism anywhere but religious studies.

Actually, my sociology teacher went off for like 40 about the Big Bang theory smh gettin' all the facts wrong.

And that ? ' ? Mr Ahmed. I asked him how he could be a man of physics and be a fully committed Muslim at the same time. Only 14 and I seriously wanted an answer. ? called my mum and told her I was questionin' his beliefs and they suspended me for a few days smh
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »

No one can
    It is impossible for natural selection to facilitate the change of one species to another over the course of a single generation
    It happens over many generations which is why the closest we get to seeing it is in insects and microorganisms

You do not get an offspring that is incapable of breeding with it's parents in one generation of change (exception to hybrids)

If no one has OBSERVED evolution taking place, meaning seeing one species turn into a completely different species, how can you sit here and tell me that evolution is true and that the scientific method proves it?

Also where in the fossil record can I see this phenomenon taking place if this supposedly has happened over the course of time? Why is the fossil record LITERALLY not trashed with transitional fossils that prove evolution true?

SMH @ this buffoonery. Evolution is beyond a pipe dream

There is no evidence! No receipts!!!!!! Show me the proof!!!!!

Oh wait, there is none.

Amen.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »

No one can

If no one has OBSERVED evolution taking place, meaning seeing one species turn into a completely different species, how can you sit here and tell me that evolution is true and that the scientific method proves it?

We observe it in animals with short life spans
    they undergo changes over many generations very quickly and this supports evolution

Hybrids are proof of rapid change in species

Also where in the fossil record can I see this phenomenon taking place if this supposedly has happened over the course of time? Why is the fossil record LITERALLY not trashed with transitional fossils that prove evolution true?

It is
    There are tons of remains that have been uncovered indicating gradual change over time

• DoUwant2go2Heaven
    Options
    VIBE wrote: »
    It's pointless to talk to DoU about this.

No it's not. I just refuse to be lied to, deceived, or hoodwinked into believing old wives tales and fables. Amen