Teaching creationism as scientifically valid now banned in all UK public schools

Comments

• mryounggun
    mryounggun Members Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it's funny when a poster crosses over into Real Lady territory, when it gets to the point that every time they post some ? , ? just totally ignore it because they're a known clown and/or is crazy as a bag of cats.
  • aka_OG
    aka_OG Members Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭✭✭
    creationism v. evolution again...everyone overlooks the origin of both and forget it takes FAITH (not facts) to believe on either side.

takes faith to believe ? created everything and governed the events that followed

takes faith to believe in the theory of the big bang and the events that followed

theory v. theory

makes no sense mocking anyone on either side. The fact public schools are going the route of forcing only one theory down peoples throats should be the real argument here
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ATL_DRO wrote: »
    Huey_C wrote: »
    Don't argue with Jesus freaks, they're guided by faith not facts, let them wallow in the dark ages

WHEN DID A THEORY BECOME A FACT?

Scientific theory is different from a theory and misused quite often by the general public there is mathematics and credible evidence and testing to back a scientific theory. Evolution is by far factual but the intimate details might not all be correct.
  • damobb2deep
    damobb2deep Members Posts: 19,972 ✭✭✭✭✭
    aka_OG wrote: »
    creationism v. evolution again...everyone overlooks the origin of both and forget it takes FAITH (not facts) to believe on either side.

takes faith to believe ? created everything and governed the events that followed

takes faith to believe in the theory of the big bang and the events that followed

theory v. theory

makes no sense mocking anyone on either side. The fact public schools are going the route of forcing only one theory down peoples throats should be the real argument here

C/s.....
  • mryounggun
    aka_OG wrote: »

theory v. theory

A lot of real ? in this post. But how are they forcing one down people throats? It's not like they are gonna ban creationism and only teach evolution.
  • Ajackson17
    Also evolution is not a correct term it should be adaptation vs evolution which in most minds is becoming superior in which they equate themselves as superior.
  • MARIO_DRO
    MARIO_DRO Members Posts: 14,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't argue with Jesus freaks, they're guided by faith not facts, let them wallow in the dark ages

Scientific theory is different from a theory and misused quite often by the general public there is mathematics and credible evidence and testing to back a scientific theory. Evolution is by far factual but the intimate details might not all be correct.

A THEORY IS A THEORY.. I DONT CARE WHAT WORDS YOU PUT INFRONT OF IT...

PEOPLE WOULD RATHER BELIEVE THAT ALLLL OF THIS HAPPEND BY MISTAKE THAN TO BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A ? THAT DID ALL OF THIS
  • mryounggun
    One one hand, you have a big ass explosion, flying rocks with proteins and ? , primordial ooze, all life on Earth descending from a single organism, etc.

On the other hand you have a guy living in the sky, ? living inside of whales, splitting seas in half, making fish appear out of nowhere, fire NOT burning ? , etc.

How is one any more hard to believe than the other?
  • VIBE
    VIBE Members Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭✭

PEOPLE WOULD RATHER BELIEVE THAT ALLLL OF THIS HAPPEND BY MISTAKE THAN TO BELIEVE THAT THERE IS A ? THAT DID ALL OF THIS

Your mindset of what a theory may be right but not for what a scientific theory is.

Please, understand the difference.

• BoldChild
    BoldChild Members Posts: 11,415 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Mister B. wrote: »
    My question is: who still teaches Creationism in schools, anyway? I thought the whole "church vs. state" thing stopped that years ago, outside of private schools.

LOL @ the UK finally catching up.

Alabama ,probably some other Bible belt states, and Kentucky find ways to sneak it in.

There are many times where the whole church and state thing is ignored in America, cause you know, Christianity is the religion, and such limitations wont hold it back.
  • Knock_Twice
    Knock_Twice Members Posts: 4,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Lol @ this...smh...

Let ppl "do them" and you "do you"...is my motto
  • Ajackson17

No its not go research scientific theory vs theory and you'll see the difference.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welp......I can't say I was surprised. But yet many folks will still go kicking and screaming to the pit because they refused the love of the truth. Tragic.
  • SneakDZA
    SneakDZA Members Posts: 11,223 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welp......I can't say I was surprised. But yet many folks will still go kicking and screaming to the pit because they refused the love of the truth. Tragic.

thanks for trying though.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    why can't people agree that ? created all these creatures and they evolved?
  • SneakDZA
    Kai wrote: »
    Copper wrote: »
    why is a theory or proposed theory being banned? everything should be taught in schools and schools should encourage free thinking through different theories and ideas. If were banning things based on what people believed happened then greek mythology should be banned.

yes so if we teach the theory of gravity, we should also teach that if you walk off a ten story building that you will float. i mean why not, that would encourage free thinking right? /:) stop it ?

and no one if teaching greek mythology like it's facts tho

The problem with using examples like that when talking to these troglodytes is that gravity is something they can see the effects of with their own eyes happening in real-time. That's the limit of their capacity when it comes to understanding complex ideas; apparently if it's not something that can be observed with the naked eye or over the course of one lifetime it can't possibly be a fact no matter how much corroborating evidence supports it.

(unless you're talking about ? which for some reason they require no proof or evidence of whatsoever)
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    why is a theory or proposed theory being banned? everything should be taught in schools and schools should encourage free thinking through different theories and ideas. If were banning things based on what people believed happened then greek mythology should be banned.

yes so if we teach the theory of gravity, we should also teach that if you walk off a ten story building that you will float. i mean why not, that would encourage free thinking right? /:) stop it ?

The problem with using examples like that when talking to these troglodytes is that gravity is something they can see the effects of with their own eyes happening in real-time. That's the limit of their capacity when it comes to understanding complex ideas; apparently if it's not something that can be observed with the naked eye or over the course of one lifetime it can't possibly be a fact no matter how much corroborating evidence supports it.

(unless you're talking about ? which for some reason they require no proof or evidence of whatsoever)

The thing is there are observable instances of speciation

Evolution deniers just refuse to look at the evidence
  • SneakDZA
    Trashboat wrote: »

The thing is there are observable instances of speciation

Evolution deniers just refuse to look at the evidence

I know that... but the problem is it's not instantly observable like an apple falling from a tree -it's the kind of evidence you have to learn to understand and they have no desire to learn or to understand. That's why these threads make for good comedy.

These guys really think the bible not only counts as a science book but is also the only science book that isn't filled with trickery and lies.
  • SneakDZA
    :: that awkward moment when you realize a thread is over because it was moved to the social lounge ::
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can Jesus microwave a burrito so hot even he him could not eat it?
  • Ajackson17
    This clown is crazy, how do a people enter a land with no name, no religion, no culture but come out of the so called tyrant land having all three. And you want me to learn from the copiers let me learn from the true masters.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    :: that awkward moment when you realize a thread is over because it was moved to the social lounge ::
    still amazes me why people post this and don't make an effort to keep threads going instead

• alissowack
    alissowack Members Posts: 1,930 ✭✭✭
    Politics have a way of not addressing the real issue. Intelligent Design does offer an alternative theory to how things come to be and should be considered. However, the issue is that some people are afraid of the religious implications associated with it. Some people get the notion that if I.D. is accepted then it is a win for the religious fanatics; that they could start expressing (or imposing) their religious views however they please; not whether it could offer another way to explain the universe. I would much rather accept this ban on the grounds that people would misuse the theory for ill-fated means than to say there isn't anything scientific about pursing I.D.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In high school, my science classes acknowledge the existence of Creationism as a theory but it would only be mentioned for a few minutes out of an entire school year.

Good for the UK. Better late than never.
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So is teaching 1+1 = 8,834 in a math class.

GOOD.