Should the Washington Redskins Change Their Name?

Plutarch
Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2014 in The Social Lounge
So now that US Patent and Trademark Office voted to cancel the Redskin's "Redskins" trademark license because they thought the name was offensive, should the name be changed? Is "redskins" offensive and racist? Is it synonymous with "? " or "? "? Would a name change be a financial disaster? Is the pressure to change the name a violation of freedom of speech? Are Native Americans even that mad, or is this another issue fueled by white people and/or "white guilt"?

Here's the intro to the Wikipedia article "Washington Redskins Name Controversy":
The Washington Redskins name controversy involves the name and logo of the National Football League (NFL) franchise located in the Washington, D.C. metropolitan area. Numerous civil rights, educational, athletic, and academic organizations consider the use of Native American names and/or symbols by any sports teams to be a harmful form of ethnic stereotyping which should be eliminated.[1] The Washington team is only one example of the larger controversy but receives the most public attention due to the name itself being defined as derogatory or insulting in modern dictionaries, and the prominence of the team being located in the nation's capital.

Support for continued use of the name has come from the team's owners and a majority of fans, some of whom identify themselves as Native Americans. They say that the name honors the achievements and virtues of Native Americans, and that it is not intended in a negative manner. Former Redskins owner Jack Kent Cooke said, "I admire the Redskins name. I think it stands for bravery, courage, and a stalwart spirit and I see no reason why we shouldn't continue to use it." Supporters also refer to a public opinion poll published in 2004 in which 90% of those who identified as American Indians answered that they were "not bothered" by the name "Redskins" being used for the Washington football team.[2] At a 2014 symposium at the Washington College of Law at American University, the topic was discussed. Attendees determined 11 reasons why the poll should be ignored, including its being out of date and having several methodological flaws.[3]

In addition to picketing and other forms of protest, the primary action of opponents has been legal action, beginning in 1992, to cancel the trademarks held by the team. The trademarks were cancelled 1999 only to be overturned on appeal in 2003 primarily on a technicality. On June 18, 2014, the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board (TTAB) of the United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) again voted to cancel the trademarks, considering them "disparaging to Native Americans". [4] [5]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washington_Redskins_name_controversy

Should the Washington Redskins Change Their Name? 12 votes

Yes
91%
blakfyahkingsoul rattlerkingblaze84StillFaggyAFwharRubato GarciaSplackavelliBazz-BTheManInBlack4.0MD_PROPER takedat 11 votes
No
8%
GorillaWitAttitude 1 vote

Comments

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    they should either name their team after a tribe like the seminoles or find something that Washington is know for and name it for that. that redskin ? is damn near a slur. they may as well name them the Washington injuns. that's just as bad as having teams named the Alabama porch monkeys, the misissippi spearchuckers, or the Detroit darkies.
  • blakfyahking
    blakfyahking Members Posts: 15,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Yes
    yes....and this is coming from a diehard Redskin fan who grew up in DC

as much Redskin fan gear I have, I can't in good conscience cosign the team continuing to wear the name if any Native American find it offensive

I would gladly support a name change even though I would at least hope that they would keep the NA head logo #HTTR
  • Plutarch
    Plutarch Members Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think that it's ultimately the Redskins management's decision regardless, and I don't think that it should be my call to contribute to the decision because I'm not Redskins managment and I'm neither a Native American or a Redskins fan, but my humble opinion would be yes for the name change but only if its because a majority of said folk want it changed.I know Redskins fans and Native Americans who either don't care or want to keep the name for various legitimate reasons.

Now if the fans and the natives support the change, then it would only be wise for management to actually listen to their most important constituents. Or maybe they think that football is bigger than any of that, though unfortunately they might be right...

I like that idea of Washington changing it to something DC related or something less offensive like "Seminoles." I always thought Utah Jazz should do the same, but history and tradition is thicker I guess.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To something more offensive
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    I would gladly support a name change even though I would at least hope that they would keep the NA head logo #HTTR
    i would wonder if there was a way to thread the needle and change to a combination of the current logo and a respectful name (i am thinking Blackhawks-style here) but ultimately i don't think that lasts forever either

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Yeah they should change the name, but I've heard some say most Native Americans don't care about the name according to polls, so I say let it be an NFL group vote.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes
    Trashboat wrote: »
    To something more offensive

LOL.....
  • Allah_U_Akbar
    Allah_U_Akbar Members Posts: 11,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Suggestions:

The Washington Americans

The Washington Natives