Let's talk..Jehovah Witnesses

MoneyPowerRespect
MoneyPowerRespect Members Posts: 2,332 ✭✭✭✭✭
In the past year, i befriended a Jehovah's Witness.
We worked together and subsequently lived together because she needed help with her son.
When we would talk, i realized that her mom had, literally, sheltered her. She lacks interpersonal skills, which caused us to have many arguments. Now, i attributed a lot of stuff she did to her mom (who, for a lack of better words, is a ? ) and her son's father. and when i started to do my research on the religion itself, i came up confused. I was confused because 1. their bible was 'translated' by people who had no knowledge of ancient texts and 2. when i would tell her things that other JW's had done, she would tell me that i was wrong. I even went so far as to have bible study with them so that i could get a clearer understanding of where they were coming from. all that i could really take was that they took the bible literally. they are still living under the 'old law' and some of their practices are very outdated, imo.

With all of you all's infinite wisdom..can someone help me to understand why they're considered a cult?

Comments

• CracceR
    CracceR Members Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭✭✭
    what race was yr friend?
  • MoneyPowerRespect
    black.
    but she wasn't practicing tho.
    like most, she 'grew up' in the church, but didn't really learn anything.
    she couldn't explain ? to me.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The reason why I keep a shotgun beside the front door
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    can someone help me to understand why they're considered a cult?
    the short list is usually the coercion of members to do the door-to-door stuff, some of the specifics of their beliefs (extra-scriptural authority and related depictions of JW's special community), and the whole "shunning" thing.
  • DoUwant2go2Heaven
    DoUwant2go2Heaven Members Posts: 10,425 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JW's don't worship the Jesus of the Bible, hence the reason why they have their own version of the Bible.

Labeling them a cult is being nice, they are actually antichrist because they deny the divinity of Jesus Christ by altering the Holy Scriptures in order to fit their doctrine.

Jesus told us to beware of folks like the JW's:

"For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many." Matthew 24:5

Amen.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    I've insulted their religion so many times to their face over the past 2 years, they know it's a good idea to walk PAST my door now. Hallelujah
  • BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JW's don't worship the Jesus of the Bible, hence the reason why they have their own version of the Bible.

Labeling them a cult is being nice, they are actually antichrist because they deny the divinity of Jesus Christ by altering the Holy Scriptures in order to fit their doctrine.

"For many shall come in my name, saying, I am Christ; and shall deceive many." Matthew 24:5

Amen.

Not necessarily anti-christ as there are anti-Christ in every sect, just misinformed. I've had a few of them at my door. What throws me off is that they don't believe in a hell. They believe that this is hell we're in right now. They believe that there we'll only be 144,000 priest and kings in heaven while the rest reside on the new earth.

One of them came to my door, this sexy ass redbone with a Jamaican accent. I was shirtless in just my boxers and shorts, she kept looking at my body and said she wanted to reschedule another appointment to meet me, we'll see what happens. I wanna ? her.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    some_? ! wrote: »
    One of them came to my door, this sexy ass redbone with a Jamaican accent. I was shirtless in just my boxers and shorts, she kept looking at my body and said she wanted to reschedule another appointment to meet me, we'll see what happens. I wanna ? her.
    well this seems quite sacreligious

• BangEm_Bart
    BangEm_Bart Members Posts: 9,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    janklow wrote: »
    well this seems quite sacreligious

She was bad son.
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It fits the definition of what a cult is *shrugs*

Amen.

Not necessarily anti-christ as there are anti-Christ in every sect, just misinformed. I've had a few of them at my door. What throws me off is that they don't believe in a hell. They believe that this is hell we're in right now. They believe that there we'll only be 144,000 priest and kings in heaven while the rest reside on the new earth.

They get some things right, just like every sect/denomination...........
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We worked together and subsequently lived together because she needed help with her son.
    When we would talk, i realized that her mom had, literally, sheltered her. She lacks interpersonal skills, which caused us to have many arguments. Now, i attributed a lot of stuff she did to her mom (who, for a lack of better words, is a ? ) and her son's father. and when i started to do my research on the religion itself, i came up confused. I was confused because 1. their bible was 'translated' by people who had no knowledge of ancient texts and 2. when i would tell her things that other JW's had done, she would tell me that i was wrong. I even went so far as to have bible study with them so that i could get a clearer understanding of where they were coming from. all that i could really take was that they took the bible literally. they are still living under the 'old law' and some of their practices are very outdated, imo.

With all of you all's infinite wisdom..can someone help me to understand why they're considered a cult?

Sounds like anyone who reads the king James or anything not translated from its proper language and nothing in parentheses explaining the cultural reference if the word cannot be translated properly. That's why I implore Christians to study Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic.
  • MoneyPowerRespect

Sounds like anyone who reads the king James or anything not translated from its proper language and nothing in parentheses explaining the cultural reference if the word cannot be translated properly. That's why I implore Christians to study Hebrew, Greek, and Aramaic.

to be frank, that's not going to do any good.
    you're going to interpret it differently anyways.
    just because a couple words might be different doesn't change the message itself.