? Barrel Fires 79-year-old Vietnam Vet For Giving Corn Muffin To Homeless Man

1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
muffin-man.jpg

A 73-year-old Florida man was fired from his job at ? Barrel earlier this week after he gave a corn muffin to a man who looked homeless.

Vietnam veteran Joe Koblenzer had worked as a greeter at ? Barrel for three years before he was fired for handing a man who “looked a little needy” the muffin.

The unidentified man came through the door and “asked [if] I had any mayonnaise and some tartar sauce,” Koblenzer said. “He said he was going to cook a fish.”

“I got it for him. As I walked out I put a corn muffin in” the same bag. Shortly thereafter, the restaurant’s general manager called him into his office and said he was fired.

The restaurant released a statement claiming that the general manager fired him because he was a serial offender.

“During the time he was employed, he violated the Company’s policies regarding consuming food without paying or giving away free food, on five separate occasions,” the statement read. “Mr. Koblenzer received multiple counselings and written warnings reminding him about the company’s polices and the consequences associated with violating them. On the fifth occasion, again per Company policy, Mr. Koblenzer was terminated.”

The same day news of the Vietnam veteran’s firing began to spread, ? Barrel posted the following on Facebook:
? Barrel Old Country Store
Restaurant · 1,802,324 Likes · June 25 at 12:01pm · Edited ·
Are you looking for a way to support our military and win a great prize? Visit our online auction site and enter to win the Darius Rucker prize package, including a signed guitar, an autographed CD and an autographed photograph! Click the link to enter now. ‪#‎4StarSalute‬ http://ow.ly/yl8ZK

? Barrel :: Military Family Auction
Enter our Four-Star Salute Sweepstakes and you could win some really spectacular prizes beyond what’s featured in our auction.
FOURSTARSALUTE.ORG

Koblenzer was working as a greeter to supplement his Social Security check, and said that he is now looking for other work.

Comments