Was Edge Overrated?

13»

Comments

• Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jono wrote: »
    jono wrote: »
    It seemed like the WWE was pushing Edge too much

Edge's solo push started in 2001, he was pegged as the "face of smackdown" in 2002. He got hurt and was brought back and pushed again as the top face versus Evolution. When that failed he turned heel and then he didn't generate enough heat by himself so they teamed him up with Lita and began the Matt Hardy thing. That's about 3-4 years of solid pushing. Without Matt & Lita he doesn't make it to the main event for real. He shined once he was there though, I will say that.

Most guys would have been buried for failing that much.

how are you considered a failure if you get injured?

he took the IC strap from orton, who held it for about 8 months. how is that a fail?

edge was getting heat as a heel before they teamed him up with lita. he was the whiner who felt he wasnt getting a fair shot at the world heavyweight championship. lets not act like dude ever had a hard time generating heat by himself as a heel
    JokerKing wrote: »
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    KingGivBiz wrote: »
    Edge was triple h lite and many people feel Trips is overrated but the thing is everyone is overrated when you compare them to The Rock or Hogan, but honestly compared to dudes in his singles era... You cant tell me he wasnt one of the best in his peer group. Its almost by default. Also its the WWE HOF... Its not a real legit HOF yet but with the introduction of Bruno N Backlund its becoming a little more legit but Drew Careys in it so why not Edge?

/rant

There is absolutely no comparison between edge and hhh. HHH is legitimately a legend up there with Hogan, SCSA, and HBK.

You're wrong. Like Cena, Triple h and Edge got way too many title reign imo albeit Edges was more of the transitional variety. Plus I called Edge "HHH-lite or a Poor Mans trips" basically showing Triple h more respect, but to say i can't even say that ... meh a force. You still my bro tho.

Triple H got too many title reigns? In case you forgot, ten years ago, triple h was helping to make future wwe superstars when the world heavyweight championship was on raw. Batista, Randy Orton, not to mention he brought back Hogans and undertaker careers and legitimized Kurt Angle by putting him over.

hhh is a wwe hof talent but hhh had the strap at least 5 times too many, i could never put him on the same tier as the scsa's, hitman's, hbk's, taker's, sting's, etc, at best id have him as a leader of the second tier, yes he put a few people over, but thats what ur supposed to do, how can he bring back 2 careers that were still much bigger than his? and angle was already legit and a better in ring performer than hhh, hhh is a good storyteller but an even better politician, he wouldnt be where he is w/o ? steph, hhh=shane douglas with luck

That's just plain hate. Hogan and Undertaker were dead in 2002, that triangle beef with triple h for the undisputed title brought their careers back. If not for the WWE, triple h would be the man in TNA

how's it hate? hhh brought back undertaker?! HOGAN?! really?

After Hogans match with rock at Wrestlemania 18, Hogan was a gimmick until he feuded with hhh for the undisputed title, which legitimized Hogans career again as a legitimate singles wrestler.

i look at that as legitimizing hhh

Triple H was one of the 3 faces of the attitude era and the head of dx, explain how he needed legitimizing.

scsa, rock, taker, hbk were leading the attitude era for a couple years while hhh was still rising as european champion, rock was rising too but he'd surpassed hhh, hhh had already had some championship reigns by the time he came up on hogan and prolly was the top heel, but that rivalry was prolly meant to make sure to cement hhh, how did hogan need legitimizing is the real question tho

Hogan was a gimmick after Wrestlemania 18. Nobody expected this guy to challenge for the WWE title. His matches with hhh for the belt would be nothing without hhh playing the role of ruthless heel punishing Hogan. Have you seen Hogan wrestle in 2002? Slow, rusty, and botch a holic. Triple h carried him.

dude...hhh was a face in that feud as well

That ? he was doing wasn't over. He was feuding with HBK and was barely over. Nobody took Edge seriously, it wasn't until the Matt Hardy feud and the real life heat between the two of them that he was able to make a transition to main event status. They had been trying for 4 years up to that point to make him a main event star.

All that HGH he was taking had his body falling apart.

Dude was supposed to be the one man to take down Evolution he got as far as winning the IC title from Orton. He might have wrestled Batista (I'm sure they wrestled at Summerslam in a triple threat) but he never made it to HHH.

TheBoyRo wrote: »
    Can't believe y'all ain't talking about the cena/edge feud from 06. That ? was entertaining as ? .

05-07 were good years for both Edge and Cena. Their feud was pretty good but it went on too long and most of the match were wack. Their TLC match is gold though.

im sure being off for one year kills your momentum. before the injury he was over. when he returned he was over. sure the feud with matt hardy rose his stake but he was doing fine before that. its not like dude was getting no type of response from the crowd whatsoever

there's nothing wrong with it taking a wrestler 3-4 years to transition from mid-card to main event status. you look at rock, hhh, jericho, benoit, hbk, guererro, cena etc. and it took them roughly the same amount of time. those who complain about edge being pushed too much were probably the same ones saying wwe isnt trying to create new stars
  • SuperSoaker
    SuperSoaker Members Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edge is the most overrated wrestler of all time, yeah I said it. Foh most titles all time? ? even the TLC matches I felt like the Dudley's and the hardys>>>

Trips>>>edge

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk how yall can look at edge ring work and psychology and say overrated or most overrated, but to each his own lol. he prolly did have too many titles tho, but wwe has been playin hot potato with certain belts for the longest. edge, cena, hhh, orton all too close to flair and to far above undertaker/hbk/scsa in title reigns for my liking.
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extremely Overrated

When he first won the belt I was like "how in the ? Undertaker's lackey become the world champion?"

• Already Home_17
    Already Home_17 Members Posts: 14,572 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Extremely Overrated

When he first won the belt I was like "how in the ? Undertaker's lackey become the world champion?"

you mean gangrel?
  • KneeGro_DuperMan
    KneeGro_DuperMan Members Posts: 3,313 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Hold up... Edge was Gangrel's lackey, but weren't they all Taker's lackeys?
  • Mr. Rich Pryor
    Mr. Rich Pryor Members Posts: 1,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol. Hold up... Edge was Gangrel's lackey, but weren't they all Taker's lackeys?
    yep
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g98rhQ2O_yc
  • herbalism101
    herbalism101 Members Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    dead at Edge being a double lackey

? that makes Christian a triple lackey
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well damn

Edge really started from the bottom

Jus a crazy dude runnin thru the streets in a trench coat
  • Trill Gate$
    Trill Gate$ Members Posts: 552 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think he was overrated but he shouldn't have had that many titles runs or be in the HOF yet