SQUAT HELP

spiritgod87
spiritgod87 Members Posts: 409 ✭✭✭✭
I jus can't SQUAT. this sh it is crazy. I struggle with 185. I bench 185 like a pillow. is SOMETHIN wrong with me? y'all gimme some tips so I can get rid of these chicken legs quick. I wanna be able to rep 315 ten times for multiple sets.

Comments

• Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    you are probably weak in the leg area. I think you should go lighter because you are beginning. I suggest that you go down to a lighter weight say 100 lbs flat. or get a kettle bell about 25 lbs and do kettlebell squats. look it up on youtube. better yet you can also do dumbbell squats. get two heavy dumbells about 40 bls if you cant handle that 25lbs and just leave your arms down at your sides and do squat motions. for correct form look it up on youtube. also if you work out at the gym do the leg press machine that should get your leg strength up try it at 200 lbs but make sure you have someone spot you.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Regulator
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Splackavelli
    Splackavelli Members Posts: 18,806 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I forgot to tell you to mix it up you can do bodyweight squats. I learned these when I was studying kung fu. they are called power squats just put your hands behind your ears like you're being handcuffed just don't lock your fingers or let them touch. do 3 sets of 20 make sure you stretch before hand. switch it up one week do power squats the next week do weighted squats. now if you're lifting for strength. like I said before start light. lets say you start of squatting 100 lbs. squat 100 for two weeks on your lower body days. after the two weeks add about 5 pounds and the following 2 weeks and 5 more and so forth and so on that's how strength training works.
  • The_Man
    The_Man Members Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the same problem and all advice given in here worked for me, going lighter will help build up the muscles you haven't been using, lover back is the key, try doing squats without any weights aswell even if you just do 5 of them when you brush your teeth it all helps. work on posture too my posture was ? but it's improving alot.
  • Flexxxin
    Flexxxin Members Posts: 3 ✭✭
    Do normal squats than follow it up with box squats. You should be doing legs 2-3 times a week
  • bigstevie
    bigstevie Members Posts: 212 ✭✭
    Whats the issue...going low.enough...not enough weight? Toes out which lil help open up your hips...stance a bit.wider than shoulder...n just drop
  • Noble Al Lee
    Noble Al Lee Members Posts: 914 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ts got a lot of good advice in here. I too wasn't happy with where my legs were last year. Just start light and work your way up. Stay consistent!! Don't skip leg day bruh lol. And vary your routine. Instead of just squats, try one legged pistol squats, do bodyweight squats randomly throughout your day. It'll build those quads up quicker
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do deadlifts. Everyone I know says that when they improved their deadlift and their bench their squat went up.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try building strength on your individual muscles too. Do hamstring work and do calf work and do quad work. Build your power on these muscles with muscle specific exercises and you will see gains in your squat
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get your form down first, 2nd get your core strength up, 3rd get your hamstring strength up then we can build from that, I'll be here
  • Dr. Stitch
    Dr. Stitch Members Posts: 734 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What also helps me get over squat plateaus is gettin it in wit the dead lift for a week or two...
  • Mister B.
    Mister B. Members, Writer Posts: 16,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get your TECHNIQUE down. Technique is key. Try doing this without anything, then just the bar, then start at 135....

Start low, get used to the form and how it will effect your body, then gradually move up by 20 lbs each week or two.
  • _Nat Turner_
    _Nat Turner_ Members Posts: 3
    edited June 2014
    If you just want to focus on your legs right now I suggest the 20 rep squat program, it took my squat from 315 to 425 in one month. Be careful though and make sure you get enough calories, stretch after every workout and in the morning. Also buy a foam roller and use that once a day .
  • Paul Hate.
    Paul Hate. Members Posts: 4,538 ✭✭✭✭✭
    start off with 140 and do drop sets,add 10 and 10 each time you do squats,drop sets,3-4sets, by month two you should be at 4 big plates...
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If your not dead lifting then deff add that. Helped me with my squats when I first started