'A vast majority of White people don’t like Black movies because...'

Options
indyman87
indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
they lack the empathy necessary to identify with Black characters which in turn affects their ability to “suspend disbelief” and surrender to the narrative of a Black film. What has been called the Racial Empathy Gap in various sociological studies conducted by researchers at the University of Milano-Bicocca and the University of Toronto Scarborough have revealed that,” The human brain fires differently when dealing with people outside of one’s own race.”(1) This study found that the degree of mental activity when White participants watched non-White men performing a task was significantly lower than when they watched people of their own race performing the same task. “In other words people were less likely to mentally simulate the actions of other-race than same-race people.” (2)

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/why-white-people-dont-like-black-movies

Comments

• Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    And for those who think race don't matter, think again. It does matter and people will continue to fight this until they are shown at the very end of this age. The cosmos knows this, higher beings know this, but humans we are in a illusion of falsefied thinking. Now, that being said there is a difference in recognizing a human being/sentient being and having higher amount of empathy in that person.

I think there needs to be a study on empathy and I think whites would have the lowest amount or second lowest compare to asians and etc. I think more melanin people usually have higher empathy.
  • soul rattler
    soul rattler Members Posts: 18,852 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Not that I disagree, but race itself is an ill defined concept. Any 'scientific' claims based on race are inherently faulty.
  • Darth Sidious
    Darth Sidious Members Posts: 2,507 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Andre Seewood, a portrait.
    355sec.jpg

This is true of anyone but I suspect the real reason is...
    Tyler-Perry-Madea_l.jpg
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The blog you cited sucks. I read one of the articles the author quoted, which is from slate.com (http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/science/2013/06/racial_empathy_gap_people_don_t_perceive_pain_in_other_races.single.html). In the article it says that Black participants in these studies always show evidence of the racial empathy gap.

But the researchers did not believe racial prejudice was entirely to blame. After all, black participants also displayed an empathy gap toward other blacks. What could possibly be the explanation for why black people’s pain is underestimated?

It turns out assumptions about what it means to be black—in terms of social status and hardship—may be behind the bias. In additional experiments, the researchers studied participants’ assumptions about adversity and privilege. The more privilege assumed of the target, the more pain the participants perceived. Conversely, the more hardship assumed, the less pain perceived. The researchers concluded that “the present work finds that people assume that, relative to whites, blacks feel less pain because they have faced more hardship.”

If this is the case then why do Black viewers enjoy films with Black casts? There has to be more to it.

The author is only looking at one cause.
  • Ajackson17
    Ajackson17 Members Posts: 22,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Pretty much the article is trying to say, the more important you are in society, the more they feel your pain, the less important you are in society, the less people will feel your pain. A peasant has no meaning or purpose in life so their pain is like who cares, but a person high up in society pain is important because they decide our fate and future. I feel nothing for none of you upright apes, I hope ya'll either evovle or perish.
  • D0wn
    D0wn Members Posts: 10,818 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    indyman87 wrote: »
    they lack the empathy necessary to identify with Black characters which in turn affects their ability to “suspend disbelief” and surrender to the narrative of a Black film. What has been called the Racial Empathy Gap in various sociological studies conducted by researchers at the University of Milano-Bicocca and the University of Toronto Scarborough have revealed that,” The human brain fires differently when dealing with people outside of one’s own race.”(1) This study found that the degree of mental activity when White participants watched non-White men performing a task was significantly lower than when they watched people of their own race performing the same task. “In other words people were less likely to mentally simulate the actions of other-race than same-race people.” (2)

http://blogs.indiewire.com/shadowandact/why-white-people-dont-like-black-movies

when whites, watch non whites and cant ? with it.
    Like France , with Think Like A Man. then it becomes a people issue....
    "we all"
    No its a white issue.
    Ppl of color constantly watch, all white to mostly white films.
    but whites have a problem with ,seeing a black person on film ,unless hes surrended by whites. or if its an all black film ,blacks are depicted in a ? up manner.
    whites are insecure.