Why Do Latinos Deny Their African Heritage?

Options
Maximus Rex
Maximus Rex Members Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭✭✭
One day, ya boy happened to be in the Mexican stand having his usual fare of a burrito and two tacos. Of course either Telemundo or Univision was on. As we all do when channel surfing, (or in a spot where Spanish language T.V.,is on,) I take in the eye candy. The one thing I do give Telemundo and Unvision credit for is those muthafuckas make no qulams about the target demo they're going for and have no issues with their news anchors and weather girls not only looking like, but wearing ? this like this.

82177983-weather-woman.jpg

jackie_guerrido_como_meteorologa-8557-1.jpg

images.jpeg

00120065-0000-0000-0000-000000000000_469b5687-f4ab-4992-a2ac-46c322b7a161_20130705134251_Despierta-America_070513_RF_1464.jpg

and those ? stay dancin', but forgive my digression. Anyway, though ole Rex isn't understanding a word, he's enjoying the thick ass Spanish chicks on the telenovella. Then it hits me, and ya boy comes this startling revelation. There ain't nary a ? to be found on Univison or Telemundo, not only that, these muthafuckas have the "paper bag test," in full effect.

Again, not that I send a great amount of time watching Telemundo and Univision, but I started to take note whenever I was someplace those two channels were on, Rex took note to see if there was anybody that looked like me on their television programming, and I came to find out there wasn't. (unless of course, baseball, futbol or a music video was on,) Then I noticed Telemundo and Univision didn't even have any of these muthafuckas on their shows.

patish_libre_marta_molina-615x410.jpg

colombia_sd_0022.jpg

Rex knew that Hispanics had some issues with race, but I didn't realize they were so blatant with their ? . Really Rex? Latinos are racist towards blacks? Are you also aware that heroin is a highly addictive narcotic? ? , shut up. Seriously though, even when I was younger, I did understand that blacks were brought over as slaves, and growing up, I remember ? like Pedro Guerrero playing baseball, put I didn't necessarily make the connection between African and Hispanic. Being, originally from the Bay, all of the black people out there were from the South, so moving to New York and hearing ? speaking fluent Spanish was a bit of a culture shock. Then I made the observation that these muthafuckas don't like to admit that they're black. For example, take a Dominican (when he was black,) that looks like

18172-c201009-sammy-sosa-peace-sign.jpg

or a Cuban that looks like,

10554222_729280867131863_1396863257_a.jpg

These muthafuckas are real quick to tell you that they're not black. They'll say, I'm Dominican, Cuban, Columbia, etc. Or the real insulting ? , they'll I'm black and Venezuelan, I'm black and Columbian or I'm black and Puerto Rican. They seem to have race confused with ethnicity. For example, you'll never hear a Jamaican say I'm black and Jamaican, or a Trini say, I'm black and Trini. A new thing that I've noticed among these self hatin' muthafuckas is that they don't like to acknowledge they're from the Caribbean or the West Indies either. The ironic thing is Cuba, Hispaniola, and P.R. are the biggest islands in that part of the world. From my observation Dominicans seem to go the hardest with the self hate and the denial of their African heritage.

So I need y'all to school go ole Rex on something, why do these muthafuckas deny their African heritage, what's the source of this self hate, and why are there hardly any people of African descent in Mexico. From what I understand, "Senor Carlos," worked the slaves to death down there, and the descendants of the slaves that are in Mexico are in the Yucatan and in and around Belize.

Comments

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    It's all speculative

but there are some writers who say that it is due to the racial hierarchy in some of these countries
    to be part of certain racial groups is to be subordinate so people overlook their African ancestry, deliberately neglect it, or focus on and embellish their other roots

many countries have developed a minstrel culture of sorts that presents Africans as Sambos and other undesirable things

Then of course comes the attachment to their cultural identity
    Many Hispanics see themselves as different from other spanish speakers so to put them in a group with people they do not share a culture with at all (Africans) makes no sense to some
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    Good thread, my father is from Panama, a mostly Spanish speaking nation. He's a proud Black man though, as I am, and he definitely traced his roots to Africa. All of my family from Panama trace their recent roots to Jamaica, as they came from there to help build the Panama Canal. So I'll give my two cents on this....

Univision and Telemundo are run by White people with Spaniard heritage, and it's obvious they are catering to the White Spaniard audience that has the money. It's funny though how much they rarely show the Native American types on their TV shows, I had a Spanish ex and she told me how badly they're discriminated against all over Latin America. If you see how many of the illegals from Latin America come here, most of them are the Native American type. Just look at the history of how they were treated, you can make a strong argument they had it worse then Blacks there. My father would agree on that.

As far as why so many Hispanics deny their African heritage, it's because many Hispanics consider themselves WHITE. I've had some Dominican friends admit they have African blood and same with some Puerto Ricans but in reality most Hispanics in America or a plurality of them consider themselves White according to the US Census. Especially Mexicans. Mexico is a mostly White nation. The Spaniards ran through Latin America and did what they did, so it shouldn't be a surprise by now. Argentina, mostly White, same with Uruguay. Most Puerto Ricans consider themselves White as well.

Also, they feel more pride in their nationality then race, so race isn't seen as big an issue like it is in America.
  • kingblaze84
    edited July 2014
    Options
    There are very proud Black people in some Latin American nations though. In Columbia and Panama, from what I've heard, the Blacks there are usually proud to be Black and of African heritage. My father was born in Colon, Panama and in that city, there's a vibrant Black population that openly celebrates their African heritage. Check out a Black History Month celebration there.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HiRDoIG5RE&feature=player_detailpage

• indyman87
    indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    According to the Moors the term 'Black' was first used to put a mark on us like a piece of food on a shelf at a grocery store to be sold so maybe they know that the term 'Black' means slave and that they just do not want to be associated with it.
  • Say What
    Say What Members Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    There is a lot that goes into this. Brazil ha slots of black people but most of their magazines and television display white women. Haiti is a is a area that promote their Blackness where across the river in the DR they big up Spain. Check out Black in Latin America from PBS
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    Trashboat wrote: »
    gns wrote: »
    Spics are the ? of the earth!
    So their hypocrisy doesn't surprise me.

Anyway my ole spanish chick used to tell me univision and telemundo are mad racist & sexist. She said that ? was mad obvious to actual Hispanics. I look for the occasional football game, when i'm not tryna hear english commenters. But mostly ? though, even the judge on caso cerrado could get it.

But yea except a few cool ones(@j gutta what up) they r by n large not to be trusted(@max waddup) and though I got homies that r proud of their African and Jamaican ancestry in Panama, u do have some ? black Hispanics out there (@khaleesi waddup)

You dated the ? of the earth

LOL eh some Latina chicks are sexy as hell....
  • gns
    gns Members Posts: 21,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Anyway my ole spanish chick used to tell me univision and telemundo are mad racist & sexist. She said that ? was mad obvious to actual Hispanics. I look for the occasional football game, when i'm not tryna hear english commenters. But mostly ? though, even the judge on caso cerrado could get it.

But yea except a few cool ones(@j gutta what up) they r by n large not to be trusted(@max waddup) and though I got homies that r proud of their African and Jamaican ancestry in Panama, u do have some ? black Hispanics out there (@khaleesi waddup)

Nothing gets by u canuck.

Latinos r the ? of the earth.
    Do not try to include Latinas in my grouping.

LOL eh some Latina chicks are sexy as hell....

A lotta them r.
  • rico_ENS
    rico_ENS Members Posts: 896 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    this cocolo mad af tell us ur story b y u hate spanish ? so much
  • kontakz.
    kontakz. Members Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    Options
    rico_ENS wrote: »
    you just answered your own question

most spanish mufuckas love the style of dark skinned people from the music to the fashion to the lingo

most spanish mufuckas moved into dark skinned neighborhoods and have black neighbors

but somehow they feel superior or different

its hilarious because them boys gon bust your ? head just as quick as they bussin dark heads

"bu but officer i'm of spanish descent!"

you ? got stockholm syndrome
  • kingblaze84
    Options
    kontakz. wrote: »
    rico_ENS wrote: »
    you just answered your own question

most spanish mufuckas love the style of dark skinned people from the music to the fashion to the lingo

most spanish mufuckas moved into dark skinned neighborhoods and have black neighbors

but somehow they feel superior or different

its hilarious because them boys gon bust your ? head just as quick as they bussin dark heads

"bu but officer i'm of spanish descent!"

you ? got stockholm syndrome

AHHHH ? you done started something now lol