GameStop Says Only A Handful Of Their Customers Know About Trading Games

Options
1CK1S
1CK1S Members Posts: 27,471 ✭✭✭✭✭
GameStop said that only a few consumers know that you can actually trade games for cash or store credit and majority doesn’t know anything about this.

The president of the biggest retailer of games Tony Bartel talked to Venturebeat yesterday and said “Believe it or not, only 40 percent of the people who walk into a GameStop store today know that we accept trades of games,”

This is kind of awkward that the ? gaming community have a love-hate relation with the retailer that have used old games and the ones they don’t want which are put forward as a form of currency to buy latest titles.

Tony also said that GameStop have around $1.2 billion in store credit that is spent on used games in the stores in which 70 percent goes to purchasing newly released titles. That’s a key point for Bartel to make because the developers and publishers think that the used games and trading business really hurt the sales of the new games.

Some of the game community appreciate the trading used gaming system that is introduced by GameStop for sometime now where as rest of the gaming world thinks that the retailer gets all the advantage as they make profit in used games twice, Once by purchasing them from consumers and second by selling it to other games. So that is double profit for a used game.

Comments

• Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Mally_G
    Mally_G Members Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i used to work in FuncoLand before it became GameStop, and I felt bad for buying back games from people for mere pennies on the dollar. We used to post the buyback price list on the wall so people can tally how much they were going to get from the bags on bags of games and systems they dragged into the store, so they wouldn't go through the long, tedious process of the buyback.

The only games the company were willing to shell out even value for were rare releases and foreign titles that played in US consoles. But the standards of supply & demand was what they used to value games, consoles, and accessories; and rip people off at the same time. They said, they couldn't stay in business offering dollar for dollar on trade-ins, but they bought out their competition (Babbages), and annihilated Kay-bee toys from even being competition. They became the only player in town, so they could have survived on selling new games, consoles, and accessories. If no one knows there is a trade-in policy now, they have survived on strictly new sales. People are holding onto their games because they know they are getting shanked if they do a trade, and shy away from that part of the business. ? forbid if you request the check instead of the store credit; that's like an additional 20% loss for taking the check vice the store credit. Sounds sweet to do a trade, but you'll have to trade half your collection to get a new title with the price of games these days.

to this day, i have crates on crates of old games and consoles going back to 8-bit Nintendo, TurboGfx-16, SNES, Genesis, Sega CD, Sega 32x, and PSX. I'm not selling nathin because it's a waste of time, energy, and a greater loss for spending that kind of money over time for it to be deemed worthless by a system. none of them ? hooked up to anything anyway, I'm not playing the systems, but I'll fire up an emulator to get that feel of nostalgia back.
  • grumpy_new_yorker
    grumpy_new_yorker Members Posts: 5,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I doubt that. There are signs all over advertising trades and they ask you if you have games to trade in every time you buy something.
  • achewon87
    achewon87 Members Posts: 5,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Giant signs in the window at my EB games that says they want your games, consoles, smart phones & tablets...

I SMH everytime, I can understand games but I wouldn't trade anything else with them you can get much better prices selling it in your own social circles...