Single Mother’s Legal Gun Permit May Get Her Three Years In Prison

Options
2»

Comments

• deadeye
    deadeye Members Posts: 22,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I may be misunderstanding something, but I hope this isn't a case in which she would have been ok if the weapon was properly displayed instead of concealed.

Pops always said "there's a set of rules for blacks.....and a set of rules for whites."

Hated hearing him say that, but there's no denying that it's true.

The judge probably didn't even have to give a reason for not admitting her into the program that would've enabled her to avoid jail time.

I suppose that not being required to give a logical explanation is part of the judge's "judicial discretion."

? 's ? up all the way around.
  • jono
    jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I feel bad for her honestly.
    This is one of those times where federalism fails, I don't see any reason why there is not just a national gun license applicable to all states.

Sometimes things shouldn't be so confusing. They should already know how that NY-NJ-PA-MASS area is they are so interconnected people often live in one state and commute to another.
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Just so everyone know Nj and NY don't play that gun ? . Caught with a gun is automatically 3 years and if it's loaded it's 5.
  • B_A
    B_A Members Posts: 2,405 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    and this is why you remain silent and refuse searches of your personal property.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The_Jackal wrote: »
    Just so everyone know Nj and NY don't play that gun ? . Caught with a gun is automatically 3 years and if it's loaded it's 5.

unless you r rich and can make a deal... but lets ignore that...
  • The_Jackal
    The_Jackal Members Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No you still gonna do time. Plaxico buress did two years and this is after he won a superbowl and his popularity was at an all time high. Lil Wayne did his time to. And if it was up to Bloomberg when he was in office alot of gun stores would have been closed
  • damnkp
    damnkp Members Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    She took a concealed handgun class so she definitely knew the rules..and what if the cop let her go and she shot somebody? If I was the cop I would've felt bad.. but I wouldn't risk my career over feelings
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So why isnt the NRA raising hell and protesting about this?

*sees skin color*

............Oh
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If my knowledge of gun laws is correct he literally could have just told her to put it in a case or put it in the trunk of her car.
  • Meta_Conscious
    Meta_Conscious Members Posts: 26,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

No you still gonna do time. Plaxico buress did two years and this is after he won a superbowl and his popularity was at an all time high. Lil Wayne did his time to. And if it was up to Bloomberg when he was in office alot of gun stores would have been closed

Word no one ever gets off since they didn't.
  • ineedpussy
    ineedpussy Members Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    damn thats ? up but she took the class. im pretty sure they told her that nj didnt have reciprocity. and like other people say i aint sayin ? about a gun until they ask me to step out the car
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    count remy wrote: »
    Pennsylvania weapons permits are valid across some state lines. When you take your CC class they tell you which states your license is valid in. It's called the Firearm Reciprocity Agreement.
    it PROBABLY doesn't help that PA's AG is undermining/eliminating as much reciprocity as she can.
    U don't need a permit to own a gun. ANYONE can buy a gun if their criminal record is clean.
    this stuff really depends on state-by-state laws
    DarcSkies wrote: »
    *sees skin color*
    ............Oh
    i don't know, i've been reading about this on gun-rights sites all week

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    DarcSkies wrote: »
    *sees skin color*
    ............Oh
    ADDITIONAL FOLLOW-UP:

Shaneen Allen, race and gun control
    At first blush, much about Allen’s case seems counterintuitive. When we think about the gun control debate, we typically picture progressive pundits, politicians and activists arguing with white, conservative activists and politicians representing rural interests. When I first posted her story to Twitter, a couple of progressive responders predicted that because Allen is a black single mother, the gun rights community would all but ignore her. But that hasn’t been true at all. In fact, Allen has become something of a rallying point for gun rights activists. She is being represented by Evan Nappen, an attorney who specializes in gun cases and is a gun rights activist himself. Some conservatives have similarly accused progressives of ignoring Allen’s case because she stands accused of a gun crime. It’s certainly true that her case has received much more attention from the right than the left. But Nappen says he has seen plenty of support for her from racial justice groups, too.
  • Cliff Da Mont
    Cliff Da Mont Members Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    Options
    I never bring my pistol through ny or NJ, not worth it they are just looking to send you away. Most corrupt cities in the east.
  • h8rhurta
    h8rhurta Members Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014
    Options
    WOW @ the judge telling her that her honesty got her in trouble! Had she lied it would have been the same thing. That's why as a CHL holder you MUST check RECIPROCITY laws! ? NY, NJ, MD, CA, IL, and any other state that doesn't allow you to carry your weapons on you. The crooks don't give a ? so they're strapped and you leave the citizens praying and calling 911 AFTER the fact. FOH!