Who Do You Blame The Most For The East Coast/West Coast Rivalry?

Comments

• walwyn
    walwyn Members Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭✭
    Pac. It was definitely a media concoction like he said but he kept giving them the elements to make that concoction more potent. Everyone played a part but Pac had the biggest hand
  • Me1971
    Me1971 Members Posts: 232 ✭✭✭
    5 Grand wrote: »
    Me1971 wrote: »
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't say Tupac/Suge isn't being honest or objective. They could have easily kept it Death Row vs. Bad Boy but they decided to manipulate the whole situation since it sold more records and also Pac was paranoid as ? and pretty much thought everybody in NY was out to get him after he got shot up the first time (which is pretty understandable).

It's a shame because before that time even though there were still regional differences in terms of music and style everybody pretty much listened to everything and local radio stations were more diverse.

I disagree. Pac and Suge kept it Death Row vs Bad Boy. Pac was responding to other people on the east coast who dissed him like Chino XL, Da Brat, the Roots, De La Soul, The Fugees, LL, Mobb Deep, and even Jay Z for letting Big throw that "who shot ya" subliminal in the Dead Presidents video. Most of those disses didn't even come out until after he died. I also think that anyone who went through that much trauma in that short of a time period as a young man would have a few anger issues, especially when you're already naturally outspoken and hotheaded. Biggie was ducking Pac while sending subliminsls, and Puffy supposedly put out a bounty on DR chains, so it added fuel to the fire. But he patched it up Nas, had an eastcoast click called The Outlawz, had Red & ? on All Eyes on Me, recorded One Nation, signed Big Daddy Kane and Melle Mel, was starting Death Row East, and downplayed east coast/west cost in his interviews. I think the media plays a bigger role in this than Biggie, Puff, Pac, and Suge.

Maybe so but Tupac started it.

You could say that Vibe magazine sensationalized it, but Hit Em Up, Bomb First and Against All Odds didn't make the situation any better.

Yeah, but all of that took place during the last two and a half months of his life. The bi coastal tension was already building since 1990 and the media started giving it more coverage in 1995. The East Coast West coast feud was already popping before he even got to DR, but they saw the big west coast label exchanging insults with the big east coast label and the media sensationalized it even more. Hit Em Up wasn't even on All Eyes on Me, he released that in mid June and was dead by early September. He didn't diss the east coast in any of those songs you mentioned, he only went at certain rappers and figures (Wendy Williams) who happened to be from the east. That's why I brought up that example of Da Brat, because she wasn't from the east but he dissed her because she spoke ill about him in defense of Biggie, so he was pretty much going at everyone regardless of coast. On the intro to Bomb First, the first words he said was, "this isn't about east coast or west coast". In his past interview on MTV four days before he was shot, he said there was no east coast west coast feud.

Pac didn't start it. He may have been the most charismatic, theatrical, and loudest, but I think Bad Boy were adding the most fuel to fire, quietly. How could any good come from putting a hit out on Pac, getting Suge's best friend killed in Atlanta, and a bounty on Deathrow chains? Something was going to happen regardless.

If you really think about it, Tupac's position didn't make any sense at the time and it doesn't make any sense now.

He made songs with social commentary and then the next song would be dissing somebody.

I think he had a bad case of schizophrenia that wasn't diagnosed.

Probably lol, who knows. I just look at like he's putting it all out there, the good and the bad. I never really saw him as a positive type of rapper, just a real rapper. Dude was influenced by the panthers, and if you know anything about them, they were mainly about positivity but they never hesitated to get violent with their enemies wether they were black or white.
  • Turfaholic
    Turfaholic Members Posts: 20,429 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was in the 5th grade with my fingers twisted up hoping to see a ? from New York at recess

True Story
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wolf

real ? know
  • Antwuan89
    Antwuan89 Members Posts: 936 ✭✭✭✭✭
    SneakDZA wrote: »
    Anyone who doesn't say Tupac/Suge isn't being honest or objective. They could have easily kept it Death Row vs. Bad Boy but they decided to manipulate the whole situation since it sold more records and also Pac was paranoid as ? and pretty much thought everybody in NY was out to get him after he got shot up the first time (which is pretty understandable).

It's a shame because before that time even though there were still regional differences in terms of music and style everybody pretty much listened to everything and local radio stations were more diverse.

I disagree. Pac and Suge kept it Death Row vs Bad Boy. Pac was responding to other people on the east coast who dissed him like Chino XL, Da Brat, the Roots, De La Soul, The Fugees, LL, Mobb Deep, and even Jay Z for letting Big throw that "who shot ya" subliminal in the Dead Presidents video. Most of those disses didn't even come out until after he died. I also think that anyone who went through that much trauma in that short of a time period as a young man would have a few anger issues, especially when you're already naturally outspoken and hotheaded. Biggie was ducking Pac while sending subliminsls, and Puffy supposedly put out a bounty on DR chains, so it added fuel to the fire. But he patched it up Nas, had an eastcoast click called The Outlawz, had Red & ? on All Eyes on Me, recorded One Nation, signed Big Daddy Kane and Melle Mel, was starting Death Row East, and downplayed east coast/west cost in his interviews. I think the media plays a bigger role in this than Biggie, Puff, Pac, and Suge.

Maybe so but Tupac started it.

You could say that Vibe magazine sensationalized it, but Hit Em Up, Bomb First and Against All Odds didn't make the situation any better.

Yeah, but all of that took place during the last two and a half months of his life. The bi coastal tension was already building since 1990 and the media started giving it more coverage in 1995. The East Coast West coast feud was already popping before he even got to DR, but they saw the big west coast label exchanging insults with the big east coast label and the media sensationalized it even more. Hit Em Up wasn't even on All Eyes on Me, he released that in mid June and was dead by early September. He didn't diss the east coast in any of those songs you mentioned, he only went at certain rappers and figures (Wendy Williams) who happened to be from the east. That's why I brought up that example of Da Brat, because she wasn't from the east but he dissed her because she spoke ill about him in defense of Biggie, so he was pretty much going at everyone regardless of coast. On the intro to Bomb First, the first words he said was, "this isn't about east coast or west coast". In his past interview on MTV four days before he was shot, he said there was no east coast west coast feud.

Pac didn't start it. He may have been the most charismatic, theatrical, and loudest, but I think Bad Boy were adding the most fuel to fire, quietly. How could any good come from putting a hit out on Pac, getting Suge's best friend killed in Atlanta, and a bounty on Deathrow chains? Something was going to happen regardless.

One thing for sure Biggie wasn't adding fuel to the fire. B.I.G. didn't want to have anything to do with it, he just wanted peace.
  • Antwuan89
    Question for everyone.

Who ever you blame for the East/West rivalry, if it wasn't for them being the blame/or big reason for the feud would both Tupac & Biggie still be alive today?
  • ocelot
    ocelot Members Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Media for instigating 2 kids personal business
  • DarcSkies
    DarcSkies Members Posts: 13,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Intelligent_Hoodlum
    Intelligent_Hoodlum Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prodigy got a vid talking about his beef with Pac and the West/East Coast Rivelry

He basically sayin that the tension between coast was already there before Pac even got to the Row with the DPG dissing
  • RickyRich
    RickyRich Members Posts: 13,062 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Media . Pac said different times its not the about eastcoast . Its jus the ? that live there. Pac is from newyork why would he diss the eastcoast. Anyone that was gettin involed with his badboy n biggie they were goin to get it too
  • RickyRich
    Check out his last interview with vibe he says it there too
  • RickyRich
    Everyone wants biggie and badboy to b the lil nerds that was getttin bullied in the school yard but them ? was doin they ? low key
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Antwuan89 wrote: »
    Question for everyone.

Who ever you blame for the East/West rivalry, if it wasn't for them being the blame/or big reason for the feud would both Tupac & Biggie still be alive today?

Big would still be alive. I'm not sure if he'd still be hot, most rappers from his era have fallen off by now.

PAC would have gone to jail after that Orlando Anderson incident and he'd probably be dead or in jail in 2014. I don't think he would have made it this far.
  • Gripsta77
    Gripsta77 Members Posts: 364 ✭✭✭
    You got people on both sides saying it started before Pac had any issues with biggie and bad boy, but Pac is the one to blame? lol.
  • loch121
    It started when Wolf (Puff's muscle and the dude Meech and BMF got in a shootout with where Wolf died in, in Buckhead) killed Suge's friend in Atlanta at The Platinum House
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lol at everyone saying PAC what is it troll PAC threads week? PAC was in jail when the whole east coast west coast thing popped off. Plus the media were the ones who blew it up
  • aladdin1978
    aladdin1978 Members Posts: 4,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • 5 Grand
    MENACE... wrote: »
    Lol at everyone saying PAC what is it troll PAC threads week? PAC was in jail when the whole east coast west coast thing popped off. Plus the media were the ones who blew it up

Yeah but PAC took every opportunity he could to talk in front of cameras and do magazine interviews. Pac was more outspoken whereas Big and Puff may have done interviews but they didn't talk trash like PAC.
  • loch121
    MENACE... wrote: »

Yeah but PAC took every opportunity he could to talk in front of cameras and do magazine interviews. Pac was more outspoken whereas Big and Puff may have done interviews but they didn't talk trash like PAC.

Cause they didn't get shot
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pac and death row. Take pac and suge out the picture = no beef no death, he'd prolly be alive big too. Great music would've been made. We would've gotten big vs nas which is a better battle imo. Picture nas having to bang out with big and the lox smh
  • GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    n.mcfly wrote: »
    Pac and death row. Take pac and suge out the picture = no beef no death, he'd prolly be alive big too. Great music would've been made. We would've gotten big vs nas which is a better battle imo. Picture nas having to bang out with big and the lox smh

Word and maybe we would have got Big Vs 50 or Ja Rule.
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    loch121 wrote: »
    It started when Wolf (Puff's muscle and the dude Meech and BMF got in a shootout with where Wolf died in, in Buckhead) killed Suge's friend in Atlanta at The Platinum House

Aye, they started it.
    "They started bangin' on Wolf, saying stuff like, 'You and that buster you're with, ? , what up?' " recalls Jones's friend. "Wolf and them didn't sweat it; they wasn't worried because they felt it wasn't a big deal. Rivalries like this come up all the time. And it's not just between New York and California. Confrontations often occur between the Detroit and Chicago crews. A lot of times we've done parties for Crips and Bloods and had to tell people on both sides, 'Yo, tell your people to cool out.' Nothing happened if you had proper security."

Knight, Jones's friend remembers, said nothing until the club's owner appealed to him to calm down his crew. "Suge deaded it at one point," the friend says. "He told them to ? the noise." But tensions flared again and began to boil over. "It got real heated because Wolf's crew is now answering back the Cali crew; they're going back and forth."

http://www.villagevoice.com/2001-02-13/news/big-bad-wolf/2/
  • 5 Grand
    I challenge anybody on the IC to watch the following video and put together a coherent argument that you could blame anybody other than Tupac.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EzXPKw7D7IQ
  • _Menace_
    _Menace_ Members, Writer Posts: 26,613 ✭✭✭✭✭
    He was talking about everyone in NY he had beef with. Y'all sound like PAC wasn't doing tracks with cats from the east. Put your hands down you're reaching too much.
  • Antwuan89
    Worl'Boss wrote: »
    Everyone wants biggie and badboy to b the lil nerds that was getttin bullied in the school yard but them ? was doin they ? low key

What did Biggie do?