Africans apologizing, and not apologizing, for slavery.

Options

Comments

• A Talented One
    A Talented One Members Posts: 4,202 ✭✭✭
    Options
    People keep making excuses for Africans. They knew what they were doing, and they did it anyway. Even if they didn't know at first, they eventually found out about the conditions of slavery in the new world. It didn't stop them. They didn't care.

When Britain abolished the slave trade, they fought to bring it back, and still participated in the trade as Britain was trying to suppress it.

Yes, initially they sold people who they caught during their wars. But eventually they went on expeditions with the goal of capturing people to sell into slavery.

And like I said before a large number of Africans died en route to the "slave coast;" this number is likely in the millions. Many also died in process of capture. So they knew that the trade was killing a lot of people.

Excusing Africans for their role is treating them as if they don't have rational agency, as if they are like children.

None of this means that Europeans don't deserve blame as well. They deserve more blame.

That said, I didn't even make this thread to argue about this. I was more interested in the fact that Ghana basically apologized as a way to make money.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    And for anybody that got a problem with what I just said, you can....

animals_who_have_the_come_at_me_bro_nailed_08.gif
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    who cares if they knew or not the fact of the matter is they apologized
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    That said, I didn't even make this thread to argue about this. I was more interested in the fact that Ghana basically apologized as a way to make money.

Aint you the black Republican that supports intergration while white supremacy exploits blacks in America, the country that never apologized or cared too?

Or was that S2J? ... i can't tell you two apart, honestly.

But regardless, I see you really don't like black people.
  • A Talented One
    Options
    kzzl wrote: »

Aint you the black Republican that supports intergration while white supremacy exploits blacks in America, the country that never apologized or cared too?

You got to be kidding. What did I ever say to suggest that? That Justin Beiber ain't a racist? That blacks can be racist too?
  • Apoptosis
    Apoptosis Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Options

You got to be kidding. What did I ever say to suggest that? That Justin Beiber ain't a racist? That blacks can be racist too?

Cracka alert

giphy.gif
  • A Talented One
    Options
    People keep making excuses for Africans. They knew what they were doing, and they did it anyway. Even if they didn't know at first, they eventually found out about the conditions of slavery in the new world. It didn't stop them. They didn't care.

When Britain abolished the slave trade, they fought to bring it back, and still participated in the trade as Britain was trying to suppress it.

Yes, initially they sold people who they caught during their wars. But eventually they went on expeditions with the goal of capturing people to sell into slavery.

And like I said before a large number of Africans died en route to the "slave coast;" this number is likely in the millions. Many also died in process of capture. So they knew that the trade was killing a lot of people.

Excusing Africans for their role is treating them as if they don't have rational agency, as if they are like children.

None of this means that Europeans don't deserve blame as well. They deserve more blame.

People mad I said this. lol. But what in it is not factually correct?
  • A Talented One
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Say u had a nice lil whip that u sold to someone else.....that someone else doesn't wash it, change the oil and runs it into the ground......

Who's to blame for the condition that the car is in now? Who should apologize for the condition that the car is in?

If it was stolen I'd blame both the thief and the person who bought it.
  • Blacjason
    Blacjason Members Posts: 83 ✭✭
    Options

The problem with your argument is that you are looking at the past in a 20th century context. Even if the Africans knew of the conditions in America they can't be held at fault. They had no idea of Pan-Africanism or Black Power or any sense of a Diaspora.(Constructs developed during this century) There were no conversations going on within Africa about a need to solidify against white oppression. Hell Africa hadn't even been colonized by Europeans yet, that happened during the late 1800s and after WWI. There was no widespread hate for whitey, they were just doing what they knew.

The idea that they should have felt some type of way about sending other black people into slavery was a non-issue for them. In other words they gave no ? about other black people and had no reason to.

So your argument about people denying them rational agency doesn't fit here. They couldn't make rational decisions based off of social constructs that weren't even around yet.

Back to this idea: How would they know that Africans were dying en route? Would this news have been reported in the small talk between them and the European slave traders? (I doubt it) News reports? Trade Journals? They had no idea of how many people were dying or the extent of their conditions in the Americas. Seriously, what proof do you have that Africans knew about the condition of the people they sent abroad?
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They don't need to apologize. They didn't know what they were selling their brothers and sisters into. I guess they figured they would be treated like they were treated as indentured servants in Africa. They had no idea the atrocities that would befall the black American and if they did I'm positive they would have regretted and ceased selling them to whites. White people bring their evils with them and they spread like a ? disease.

? those Hamites knew they was selling Hebrews, there's a rant from.an African in a interview was telling the truth he said his ancestors hated us and didn't give a ? about us, and hated our Elohim and sold us because they wanted us out of the country
  • Rasta.
    Rasta. Members Posts: 9,342 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    waterproof wrote: »
    They don't need to apologize. They didn't know what they were selling their brothers and sisters into. I guess they figured they would be treated like they were treated as indentured servants in Africa. They had no idea the atrocities that would befall the black American and if they did I'm positive they would have regretted and ceased selling them to whites. White people bring their evils with them and they spread like a ? disease.

? those Hamites knew they was selling Hebrews, there's a rant from.an African in a interview was telling the truth he said his ancestors hated us and didn't give a ? about us, and hated our Elohim and sold us because they wanted us out of the country

I'd love to see this video if you have it
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Rasta. wrote: »

I'd love to see this video if you have it

I'm looking for it right now, I posted in one of my Hebrew threads, this hamite hate for us aka Hebrews was wild, he said they used to ? our babies, children, hated our ? and knew we was the People of the book, it was wild. And they sold us because we are not them,

But negros beg to differ
  • kzzl
    Options

So that's not you? Must be the other guy. And a black person CANNOT be a racist while he/she is the race being oppressed.

BUT HOLD UP A MINUTE...

Justin Beiber's apology was cool, but you wanna undermine an apology from Africa as not genuine?
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    " Black Man, We are sorry.... Now please..PLEASE! come to my country and buy my things "
  • zombie
    zombie Members Posts: 13,450 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    ghana's apology was not just simply an inducement to come and buy ? they basically said that all those who wish to come and be part of the society we will make it as easy as we can for both of our benefit
  • Shuffington
    Shuffington Members Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

Yeah. They had no idea and couldnt fathom the evilness Europeans had in mind and the "foreverness" they were thinking. Africa was basically a tropical paradise where people had sun and fun. The Europeans came from a frozen wasteland of dreariness where you had to steal and be underhanded to survive. Some white people wanna try to shift some of the blame on Africans but nobody falls for it. Desparate to even try.

They actually did Know.

when I went to a couple of slave castles (Elmina & Cape Coast) in Ghana.. Our tour guide (Ghanian guy-great story teller btw) basically said they knew. The head Castle leader would throw the new found stolen captives in the slave quarters on the lower level and take a few female captives to the upper level and ? them. This was common knowledge.

I mean the indigenous strife (fighting for land/ trade routes ect) that had already been on-going in the country create those ethnic divisions. So when the slave caravans were delivered from inland to the coast. The transporters were just trying to get paid cause they had no real cultural ties to the captives.
  • Apoptosis
    Apoptosis Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Options

Yeah. They had no idea and couldnt fathom the evilness Europeans had in mind and the "foreverness" they were thinking. Africa was basically a tropical paradise where people had sun and fun. The Europeans came from a frozen wasteland of dreariness where you had to steal and be underhanded to survive. Some white people wanna try to shift some of the blame on Africans but nobody falls for it. Desparate to even try.

Nah. It seems as if some people believe that before the Europeans landed, Africa was some paradise where nothing bad happened. Evil's been in the world since the beginning of time.
  • A Talented One
    Options

So that's not you? Must be the other guy. And a black person CANNOT be a racist while he/she is the race being oppressed.

BUT HOLD UP A MINUTE...

Justin Beiber's apology was cool, but you wanna undermine an apology from Africa as not genuine?

The point is that none of that ? makes me what you said.

I'm going by what the article said, which is that Ghana's apology was "largely a business decision."

• A Talented One
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Blacjason wrote: »

The problem with your argument is that you are looking at the past in a 20th century context. Even if the Africans knew of the conditions in America they can't be held at fault. They had no idea of Pan-Africanism or Black Power or any sense of a Diaspora.(Constructs developed during this century) There were no conversations going on within Africa about a need to solidify against white oppression. Hell Africa hadn't even been colonized by Europeans yet, that happened during the late 1800s and after WWI. There was no widespread hate for whitey, they were just doing what they knew.

The idea that they should have felt some type of way about sending other black people into slavery was a non-issue for them. In other words they gave no ? about other black people and had no reason to.

So your argument about people denying them rational agency doesn't fit here. They couldn't make rational decisions based off of social constructs that weren't even around yet.

Back to this idea: How would they know that Africans were dying en route? Would this news have been reported in the small talk between them and the European slave traders? (I doubt it) News reports? Trade Journals? They had no idea of how many people were dying or the extent of their conditions in the Americas. Seriously, what proof do you have that Africans knew about the condition of the people they sent abroad?

Africans should not have sold us to the white man not because of some sense of racial solidarity (which I agree came later), but out of morality and human decency. Slavery is wrong, whether it is black people enslaving black people or white people doing the same. And they should have known that, and let it dictated their actions.

If you are gonna let them off the hook for giving "no ? about other black people" how can you hold white people responsible for what they did?

True, slavery in West Africa may not have been as bad, but over the course of the centuries they probably learned of the conditions in the new world that made it so controversial.

They would have known about the Africans dying in en route because they were the ones who took them there. The white man more or less stayed on the coast.
  • A Talented One
    Options

I remember that video. That man was not African. He was West Indian, Trini I believe. I know West Indian accents.
  • Copper
    Copper Members Posts: 49,532 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    how about being worried about the effect of slavery (300years) and jim crow(100years) on todays society and its residual effects that still reside and less worried about leaders in africa hundreds of years removed from what kings did?

this thread is so off topic, pointless and coonish

AFaggitedOne I hope a wasp stings you in the eye
  • Copper
    edited August 2014
    Options
    how about europe apologize to africa for:
    hacking the continent up
    getting rich off africas resources while africa remains poor
    spreading disease
    aparthied
    stealing the bodies of Pharaohs and queens
    murdering animals
    wiping out tribes
    destroying tombs and monuments
    wiping away their culture and history
  • Copper
    Options
    Say u had a nice lil whip that u sold to someone else.....that someone else doesn't wash it, change the oil and runs it into the ground......

Who's to blame for the condition that the car is in now? Who should apologize for the condition that the car is in?

If it was stolen I'd blame both the thief and the person who bought it.

nobodies out here buying ?
  • kzzl
    Options

BUT HOLD UP A MINUTE...

The point is that none of that ? makes me what you said.

I'm going by what the article said, which is that Ghana's apology was "largely a business decision."

A business decision that gave African Americans land, citizenship, investing, and the ability to start they own business.

And ceremonial apologies, my ? . They gonna have the drums and dancing tribal girls when I get off the plane.

That business decision is what we call a business deal in the real world.

Meanwhile, Justin Beiber didn't sing a song bout doing any of that ? . But we all know the one song he did make about black folks.
    If you are gonna let them off the hook for giving "no ? about other black people" how can you hold white people responsible for what they did?

Be honest, this right here is the whole reason you wanted to make this thread.