What Do You Think Of This Theory?

Options
5 Grand
5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hip Hop peaked around the time of the Jay/Nas beef. The Chronic 2001 introduced Eminem and he took the world by storm and then introduced 50 Cent. Dipset was in full effect, The South was making the switch from No Limit to Cash Money. T.I. Was crowned the King of The South.

But things slowly started going downhill. The last really good years were 05/06 and then The South totally took over. There was/is no variety and there became one homogeneous production style (Trap Music). To make matters worse, rappers started singing with auto tune.

Now, Individual rappers release dozens of mixtapes per year which floods the market with 2.5/3/3.5 mic projects (remember Papoose?) YouTube provides any 15 year old with a cell phone the ability to make a video and thus there's hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of mediocre/below average/downright wack videos circulating the internet.

Back in the 80s/90s there was a gatekeeper. If your ? was wack or unprofessional it didn't get played on MTV or BET. You needed a record deal because you couldn't do it yourself. Now anybody can do it themselves and look what we have.

What if somebody made a rule that if people think your first YouTube video is wack you can't put up another one?

Objectively speaking, Hip Hop is at an all time low. The ability to release music independently opened the floodgates for rappers with marginal talent.

Also, Hip Hop isn't "Hip" anymore. EVERYBODY is trying to cash in on it. It's more like Rock N Roll, or Blues was in the 80s when Rap was just getting started. There was a time when Blues was the new, hip style before Rock N Roll. Then Rock N Roll came along and then Blues wasn't hip anymore. Now Rock isn't even hip anymore. Hip Hop isn't even Hip anymore.

There's probably a new style of music bubbling in the underground that people are trying to keep from the masses. Personally I want to hear something new because Trap has run its course.

Just my thoughts

Comments

• MoneyLuver
    MoneyLuver Members Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hmm. Something new eh?

Connecting tha dots huh?

It won't be watchu think doe
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    Hip Hop has too many universal musical elements to ever go away.

It was literally built as an offspring of Black Music. In turn it being American Music. In turn it being World Music

• MoneyLuver
    Options
    I could tell yall the future but you'd have to pay me

#DeadAss
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Peezy_Jenkins Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 33,205 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    5 Grand wrote: »

There's probably a new style of music bubbling in the underground that people are trying to keep from the masses. Personally I want to hear something new because Trap has run its course.

ok.... do that then, simple.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    and stop blaming ? on trap music
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    Your problem is that you're a "2nd hand contact" ass ? .

In other words, you're still over there while everybody else is over here.

You're still absorbing ? like the Caveman used to. Which everybody else is living like Martian's.

You think Radio & TV, we think MP3 Player & Internet

In other words, I was just watchin Joey BadAss' "Big Dusty" video on MTV Jams while you probably tuned into your local radio station during Rush Hour and heard the Beyonce', Rihanna, and Nicki Minaj-o'clock Jam Session.

Children should be somewhat sheltered, which is what the Radio & TV are for. A parent(s) should guide & monitor wat messages they should and shouldn't be hearing. Point blank end of discussion

/Thread

In all honesty it sucks that there's a true lack of balance on the mainstream tip. But ? historically have always gotten censored after we've put people/situations on blast.

So why are u actin like this is supposed to Start & End with Us? High hopes maybe?
  • Trollio
    Trollio Members Posts: 25,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Busta Carmichael
    Busta Carmichael Members, Moderators Posts: 13,161 Regulator
    Options
    For once I agree with 5 Grand.

And it's not even about growing older because i'm still young. And I was Really young when I started to dislike new rap songs. I'm a hip hop head that appriciates lyricism, but we've been force feed with so much simple Future and 2 chainz ? that we actually think it's hot now.

Every other new rapper sounds the same. Young thug, rich homie etc. And they jump on each others tracks and rap about the same ? over and over again.

Only thing different is the chorus.
  • Peezy_Jenkins
    Options
    its like u guys hate the radio, then proceed to only listen to the radio, then say rap sucks because of it, theres so much more out there if u really feel like looking
  • sapp08_2001
    sapp08_2001 Members Posts: 7,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Its quite simple. Stop ? listening to the garbage ass mainstream ? and listen and support independent artists that fit your standards.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    its like u guys hate the radio, then proceed to only listen to the radio, then say rap sucks because of it, theres so much more out there if u really feel like looking

I don't listen to the radio bro. I get my music from the various sites including this one. And it sucks.

Put me up on some new music. Not that generic radio stuff.

• Peezy_Jenkins
    Options

I don't listen to the radio bro. I get my music from the various sites including this one. And it sucks.

i mean, i cant guarantee ull like this but this is good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-J3o9Q5Dqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ9XoMRcR40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s-w-zSbTu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIrdXrhlE7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVsrlInmTUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e66fUoG7e5s
  • GSonII
    GSonII Members Posts: 2,689 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I listen to whatever I want when I want. The easiest solution I can find.
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options

i mean, i cant guarantee ull like this but this is good music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-J3o9Q5Dqs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZ9XoMRcR40

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3s-w-zSbTu8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIrdXrhlE7o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVsrlInmTUE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e66fUoG7e5s

props

will check them out
  • Busta Carmichael
    Options
    For once I agree with 5 Grand.

And it's not even about growing older because i'm still young. And I was Really young when I started to dislike new rap songs. I'm a hip hop head that appriciates lyricism, but we've been force feed with so much simple Future and 2 chainz ? that we actually think it's hot now.

Every other new rapper sounds the same. Young thug, rich homie etc. And they jump on each others tracks and rap about the same ? over and over again.

Only thing different is the chorus.

Think about it this way.

Almost every new rapper is trash and we hate on them until they grow on us.

If your intial thought is this is trash and you don't start liking it until they force feed you with it, then that artist is prolly trash.

Future for instance. When I 1st heard "Tony Montana" I thought dude was terrible and will never come far. But hated it so much and listened to him for trollin purposes until it became hot.

Same with Schmurda. I was the 1st one to make a hate thread against him. But the song is somewhat tolerable now. Because you hear it so much that it becomes catchy. Get it?

That's not music!
  • 5 Grand
    Options
    MoneyLuver wrote: »

You're still absorbing ? like the Caveman used to. Which everybody else is living like Martian's.

In other words, I was just watchin Joey BadAss' "Big Dusty" video on MTV Jams while you probably tuned into your local radio station during Rush Hour and heard the Beyonce', Rihanna, and Nicki Minaj-o'clock Jam Session.

Children should be somewhat sheltered, which is what the Radio & TV are for. A parent(s) should guide & monitor wat messages they should and shouldn't be hearing. Point blank end of discussion

/Thread

In all honesty it sucks that there's a true lack of balance on the mainstream tip. But ? historically have always gotten censored after we've put people/situations on blast.

So why are u actin like this is supposed to Start & End with Us? High hopes maybe?

You're way off dude. I don't even have cable and hardly ever listen to the radio. In fact, the only place I get my Hip Hop from is this web site. I check out just about every link that people put up, especially the threads that do numbers.

So no, I'm not judging Hip Hop by what I hear on the radio and see on TV, I judge Hip Hop by what you guys post here and it all sounds the same IMO. The only thing that stood out lately was that Cormega joint that somebody put up last month. Otherwise it's all Trap. Nothing wrong with Trap 5-10 years ago but it's run it's course. It's boring.

Listening to songs with 808 kick and hi hats that do double and triple time has gotten boring. listening to a rapper with a southern accent has gotten boring.

Looks like Generation Y ran out of ideas.
  • Apoptosis
    Apoptosis Members Posts: 198 ✭✭
    Options
    Yo, complaining won't do nothing to change this. Let's form an IC rap collective and make Jay Z numbers.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Being a dad and some what socially aware. I skim new stuff to stay on top of what my children might be exposed too. I want to know what they might be listening to. If, and when I play Hip Hop around my children it's nothing but positive, informative, Black empowerment music. But I always find myself disappointed, worried, upset and sometimes disgusted that I KNOW for a fact there are to many young children being fed the garbage that has become popular over the last 10-15 years.

Rant on.

It's disappointing that more and more parents are just so disconnected and their children are being brainwashed with ? .

I have an associate, he's a lawyer and his wife a Dr. We were having a conversation about the music of today. He said, he lets his son listen to today's Hip Hop because, he goes to a majority white school, and lives some what of sheltered\privileged life. He says he thinks the Music will help to give his son an edge. I stood there dumbfounded like....................WORD?

We don't need gatekeepers. We need licenses to purge these bums.

• nj2089
    nj2089 Members Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    yay another one of these threads
  • MoneyLuver
    Options

/Thread

You're way off dude. I don't even have cable and hardly ever listen to the radio. In fact, the only place I get my Hip Hop from is this web site. I check out just about every link that people put up, especially the threads that do numbers.

So no, I'm not judging Hip Hop by what I hear on the radio and see on TV, I judge Hip Hop by what you guys post here and it all sounds the same IMO. The only thing that stood out lately was that Cormega joint that somebody put up last month. Otherwise it's all Trap. Nothing wrong with Trap 5-10 years ago but it's run it's course. It's boring.

Listening to songs with 808 kick and hi hats that do double and triple time has gotten boring. listening to a rapper with a southern accent has gotten boring.

Or more like I'm spot on. There's very few threads and mainstream-commercial-teeny bopper songs and artists posted on here.

You're literally either trolling or technology-challenged
  • englishdude
    englishdude Members Posts: 3,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Nikki Minaj - Anaconda track has 22mil views in 1-2 days of uploading.

Beats eh, lyrics are wack as ? and promoting whorish activity in exchange for material things (I actually listened to the track, yea I ? up lol) some bars in there like "let him hit ? he sell coke" like wtf.... this ? knows her audience is young impressionable females, yet shes enabling the type of behaviour that is frowned on by the masses (yet heavily promoted by major labels).... Haven't seen one person reference any lyric in the song, just alot of desperate men dribbling over a couple of .gifs.

Point is, everything surrounding hiphop these days seems to be about everything but the music/message.

'That nicki track wack as ? ' - '? you bro, she got a phat ass'

'that bobby schmurda track is wack as ? ' - 'beats hot though'

Fans are too easily mislead by simple distractions, ADHD mentality.

Same reason most artists have a short career, no one buys into the artists they just talk about it while its hot then within a year they've flip flopped on the artists and start hating lol.

Being considered a Lyricist is seemingly detremental to most artists, fans ? on them just because they take effort in their craft.
  • Kwan Dai
    Kwan Dai Members Posts: 6,929 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I am perplexed that Hip Hop listeners are ok with the repetitiveness.
  • MoneyLuver
    Options
    Nikki Minaj - Anaconda track has 22mil views in 1-2 days of uploading.

Beats eh, lyrics are wack as ? and promoting whorish activity in exchange for material things (I actually listened to the track, yea I ? up lol) some bars in there like "let him hit ? he sell coke" like wtf.... this ? knows her audience is young impressionable females, yet shes enabling the type of behaviour that is frowned on by the masses (yet heavily promoted by major labels).... Haven't seen one person reference any lyric in the song, just alot of desperate men dribbling over a couple of .gifs.

Point is, everything surrounding hiphop these days seems to be about everything but the music/message.

'That nicki track wack as ? ' - '? you bro, she got a phat ass'

'that bobby schmurda track is wack as ? ' - 'beats hot though'

Fans are too easily mislead by simple distractions, ADHD mentality.

Same reason most artists have a short career, no one buys into the artists they just talk about it while its hot then within a year they've flip flopped on the artists and start hating lol.

Being considered a Lyricist is seemingly detremental to most artists, fans ? on them just because they take effort in their craft.

22million views huh? I betchu half of those views were ? dudes and the other half were females who admired her. And since when was a female doing backshots such a bad thing?

Those same ADHD people you talk about are on both ends of the spectrum.

On 1 side you have children who will eat up anything that's fun or something they're not supposed to see

And on the other. We have people like you who refuse to adapt with Technology

The people who refuse to adapt with Technology are worse becuz they're more vocal and believe it or not, more ignorant to the situation. And the trolls are the main culprit

But i do agree that we shouldn't just settle for anything, that's corny. And we have a right/privilege to speak on it
  • NoCompetition
    NoCompetition Members Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options

/Thread

Id be weary of judging anything based on this place. This place is mostly nonsense. And many on here "hate" Southern rap. If this is bad then yeah, stay away from the radio. Or most clubs. or the streets. or parties. But personally you can listen to what you want.cant stop anyone else from listening to what they want though. Sorry but if thats the problem, gettin mad cause "they like that" is pretty pointless. Its just one of those kind of irrational human emotions. Its like people try to listen to they want (i hope) but they cant help but look over at that crowd havin fun and feel some typa way about what the crowd is listening to. Personally it think it gets easier to not give a fck as you get older. I listen to the radio all the time when im drivin. Many of the songs i like, some i even turn from or even turn on my personal library. Amazing concept listen to what you want but it works.

• 5 Grand
    Options
    My basic point is that Hip Hop has run its course just like Jazz, Blues and yes, Rock. There's no new ideas. The so-called underground scene even ran its course (Black Star anyone?)

If you look at all the YouTube links that are on page 1 of the IC you'll see very little variety. I can only imagine what 106 and Park is looking like nowadays.