Hoopers: How Can I Improve My Speed?

Options
Miltown Marauder
Miltown Marauder Members Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited June 2010 in The Weight Room
I've getting back into the balling, and it's this dude I play with from work, I can put pressure on him pretty good, but this dude is FAST! Once he get that burst of speed, he's damn near gone. What drills or excerises can I do to improve speed?

Comments

• boom
    boom Members Posts: 2,083 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
  • Dupac
    Dupac Members, Writer Posts: 68,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    lmao.. spints my ? , suicides
  • htowntx
    htowntx Members Posts: 3,271 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Work on quickness instead of speed, it'll serve u better

Rarely will u be able to use just pure flat out speed to an advantage on a court
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    windsprints

suicides back and forth top speed
  • Fundz O' Plenty
    Fundz O' Plenty Members Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Play angles until you get your speed back up....
  • DRO
    DRO Members Posts: 9,943 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Get some ankle weights.. Play with them shyts on.. They gone slow you down and in turn make u run faster so when u get used 2 them and take em off, u gone be like carl lewis out there
  • John_Blazini
    John_Blazini Members Posts: 14,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    11108ww.jpg

........................it ends today.
  • Fundz O' Plenty
    Fundz O' Plenty Members Posts: 10,382 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Get some ankle weights.. Play with them shyts on.. They gone slow you down and in turn make u run faster so when u get used 2 them and take em off, u gone be like carl lewis out there

good ? ...............
  • iAMNOVA
    iAMNOVA Members Posts: 2,493 ✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    do u want just flat out top end speed or to be more quick and explosive? with or without the ball?
  • Bwoahmizzee
    Bwoahmizzee Members Posts: 6,962 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    I forgot about ankle weights a few years back I had some good ones and they were kinda comfortable

I'd rock them ? all day

when I took them ? off I felt like the Flash lol
  • caddo man
    caddo man Members Posts: 22,476 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Jump rope is a good exercise.
    Lateral work(angles) too.
    And if he doesnt have a shot just back off of him. If his J is garbage. He will try to take you and you will have that separation advantage.
    If his J is on. Cut off his best hand. Push him toward the D. He will crossover back to his dominate hand once he gets pass you and then strip it.

If he is real good then drop your ass ( no ? ) and spread your arms and hope for the best. or foul him everytime. LOL!
  • Miltown Marauder
    edited May 2010
    Options
    iAMNOVA wrote: »
    do u want just flat out top end speed or to be more quick and explosive? with or without the ball?

Explosiveness

His jumper is alright, but he's good at coming with the cross and bringing it in.
  • glowy
    glowy Members Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Plyometrics

Short sprints using a falling start about 10x30 meters will probably do you good. followed by 10x40. Don't forgot to warm up and stretch before you do those. 3 times a week.

If you wear the ankle weights, only use them for about 25% of your total activity time. If you wear them all the time, they will actually make you slower due to your body getting used to the slower reaction speed.
  • G Mack
    G Mack Members Posts: 6,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options

actually ankle weights are not a good look

i recommenced just sprinting, frontward and backwards including side to side

i hear running up stairs is good for explosiveness as well
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    rofl how old are you dude? If you over 25, just bump check the ? and make him shoot a jumpshot.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    rofl how old are you dude? If you over 25, just bump check the ? and make him shoot a jumpshot.

Word chances are you aint gonna be faster than him anyway.. what i do is.. i stay on them even if they dont hav the ball.. make him run.. or. if his jumper is suspect keep him within arms length.. give him room for the jay.... and anticipation > speed

I mean you can walk around in ankleweights prior to the game for 5-10 minutes.. take them off and ball.. ive done it before.. you feel lighter and faster.. bt it could be placebo.. but just do that
  • jackthemack
    jackthemack Members Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Really once you get in better shape you will feel a lil more springy when you run around so your reaction time will be better. But you can't guard speedy ? close up unless you have a long wingspan and you can block from behind nh
  • Miltown Marauder
    edited May 2010
    Options
    sadly I have to agree with ? though...after 23 its kinda hard to just develop "speed"...there are other aspects you could work on instead of that though...work on saying "HELP!" or "SWITCH!!!!" and just don't guard dude

Nah we play one on one.
  • playmaker88
    playmaker88 Members Posts: 67,905 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2010
    Options
    Nah we play one on one.

LOl good luck.. u should have established that in the first post.. again shade him to his weak hand give him some room. other than that you just gotta know there are some ? who you cant do ? against.. especially if he is quick and can handle
  • King Erauno
    King Erauno Members Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2010
    Options
    plometrics will get u right son. makes u more explosive