oh my damn...... ISIS beheads a kidnapped american journalist in syria

1235»

Comments

• janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    There are lots of American companies who did reconstruction in Iraq and I believe quite a few are still doing construction projects there.
    yeah, but this IS different than seizing territory (again, something you have seen literally happen recently in the case of Russia, if we need to draw a distinction) or stealing the natural resources. i won't dispute it was profitable for various companies and/or makes it easier for them to profit in the future, but that's a different complaint.
    We also know about the minerals discovered in Afghanistan and some reports suggesting America is building some kind of pipeline in that region as well for natural gas.
    problem is that "some reports" also delve into total fantasy/conspiracy. i think dudes have been saying it was a war to steal minerals for 13 years and yet somehow no one has managed to steal those minerals...
    But you are also right in that the MAIN reason American foreign policy is dumb in that region is because it is wasteful, morally disgraceful too.
    morally disgraceful? meh; this comes back to the theory that America does these AWFUL THINGS that no other nation does, and then we have to remember that they do the same things, perhaps constrained by their ability to do them. but wasteful, i think, is the fairest and best critique. it is very hard to dispute the cost of X and Y and Z overseas adventure, even if you think they should have happened.

• kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    janklow wrote: »
    There are lots of American companies who did reconstruction in Iraq and I believe quite a few are still doing construction projects there.
    yeah, but this IS different than seizing territory (again, something you have seen literally happen recently in the case of Russia, if we need to draw a distinction) or stealing the natural resources. i won't dispute it was profitable for various companies and/or makes it easier for them to profit in the future, but that's a different complaint.
    We also know about the minerals discovered in Afghanistan and some reports suggesting America is building some kind of pipeline in that region as well for natural gas.
    problem is that "some reports" also delve into total fantasy/conspiracy. i think dudes have been saying it was a war to steal minerals for 13 years and yet somehow no one has managed to steal those minerals...
    But you are also right in that the MAIN reason American foreign policy is dumb in that region is because it is wasteful, morally disgraceful too.
    morally disgraceful? meh; this comes back to the theory that America does these AWFUL THINGS that no other nation does, and then we have to remember that they do the same things, perhaps constrained by their ability to do them. but wasteful, i think, is the fairest and best critique. it is very hard to dispute the cost of X and Y and Z overseas adventure, even if you think they should have happened.

I can live with this. Well considering American politicians love wasting resources and love constant war, I expect American wastefulness to reach full bloom very soon. One event or another will lead Americans to another long, bankrupting war in the Middle East, and Americans will wonder again why so many resources are being dedicated overseas while poverty and economic misery for millions of Americans continue to go unaddressed.

It's gonna be a real interesting year for the sinking ship known as America, I guarantee you. Now let's see how long it is before thousands of American troops are fighting in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, and ? knows what other country I've left off.
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So I read a couple days ago the executioner could be this dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkvWTgj98-4
  • Go figure
    Go figure Guests, Members, Confirm Email, Writer Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i heard on the radio today that isis didnt do the beheading and it was actually a terrorist group who is fighting against isis. also, due to the fact that the beheading was edited, its possible that the masked man was not the one who did it...that the full, actual beheading occurred elsewhere at a different time.

anybody have more info on that? im about to do my googles soon
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Go figure wrote: »
    i heard on the radio today that isis didnt do the beheading and it was actually a terrorist group who is fighting against isis. also, due to the fact that the beheading was edited, its possible that the masked man was not the one who did it...that the full, actual beheading occurred elsewhere at a different time.

anybody have more info on that? im about to do my googles soon

They're fighting ISIS and still hating America eh
  • lighthearted26
    lighthearted26 Members Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I watched the nicholas Berg beheading video on Napster yrs ago out of morbid curiosity and have been scarred ever since. Im not ? with this one. What a ? up way to die.
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    It's gonna be a real interesting year for the sinking ship known as America, I guarantee you. Now let's see how long it is before thousands of American troops are fighting in Syria, Iraq, Afghanistan, and ? knows what other country I've left off.
    you're going to have dudes fighting in Afghanistan on SOME level for the near future. Iraq and Syria... well, as sad as it sounds, i think it's limited by what the administration thinks they can claim is NOT "boots on the ground."