Did Tony die in 'The Sopranos' finale? David Chase finally clears up the mystery

Options
2stepz_ahead
2stepz_ahead Guests, Members, Writer, Content Producer Posts: 32,324 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=886221

"The Sopranos" has been celebrated for its ambiguous series finale, which left the fate of mob boss Tony Soprano unknown. But now creator David Chase has taken all of the mystery out of the revolutionary episode.

When Chase was asked if Tony's dead in an interview with Vox, he begrudgingly responded, "No. No he isn't." Other than mentioning that the infamous cut to black scene was inspired by Edgar Allen Poe's poem, "Dream Within a Dream," that's all the information Chase divulged about Tony's fate.

Though it must have been frustrating for Chase to only be asked this simple question rather than about many of the more interesting aspects of "The Sopranos" for years on end, we're glad he didn't go into more detail and wish he'd maintained his oath of silence completely. Ambiguity in television is OK and "The Sopranos" was the poster child for this type of destabilizing storytelling.

However, maybe some good will come of Chase's confession and David Lynch will be inspired to finally reveal exactly what happened to Cooper in "Twin Peaks."

Comments

• 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    i been said he was dreaming....imma find my post.
  • Lou Cypher
    Lou Cypher Members Posts: 52,521 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I had always hoped they would surprise us with a movie or something years later. Cant happen without Gandolfini tho.

So that scene was a dream or the entire damn show was a dream? im knocking the nurse behind me the ? out if the whole series was a dream.
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    knew that ? lived
  • loch121
    loch121 Members Posts: 12,884 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    I read another article where he said Tony died.Too lazy to find it or recap

basically the whole season was leading up to Tony's death and there are a lot of clues.

Tony got killed by The member's Only guy

That's why the 1st ep was called members only

Also there was a recurring theme of men dying in restaurants w/ their family

Tony got popped in that restaurant
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »

basically the whole season was leading up to Tony's death and there are a lot of clues.

maybe because he wasnt a member yet and the guy clipping him woke him up and back to reality.

his dad was a made member but he wasnt yet.
  • loch121
    Options
    Now I'm ? because when Gandolfini died CNN said Tony died

I never thought Tony died,but when they said it and others said it,I started researching

I found enough evidence for me to change over to the Tony died team

If Chase says he didn't he didn't,but now I'm confused
  • bignorm
    bignorm Members Posts: 5,410 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I been said this. Up the old thread, lol. He himself said he didn't die very soon after the ep aired.
    That article about all the clues, was not ? he said, it was ? one of the fans wrote, and everyone attributed to him.
    He been said he didn't die, and if you look at it, it doesn't seem like he got popped.
  • disqus_6F6yUmrWOr
    disqus_6F6yUmrWOr Members Posts: 52 ✭✭
    Options
    I said that ? back in the day, that whole scene with the guy in the restaurant was all symbolic that Tony will always have to look over his shoulder with Mob ? wanting to ? him, right before that Tony found out Carlo was going to testify against him which could lead to T losing his freedom-another thing he has to worry about for the rest of his life. With all of that he has his family surrounding him in the end shot, which is what this whole saga was all about, being a family man within the family.
  • nawledge_god
    nawledge_god Members Posts: 5,622 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    David Chase Is Trollin
  • bignorm
    Options
    whats funny is that Chase has said this on record twice, but the fans who believed otherwise, can't accept it.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    Options
    He's trolling

He died. Shot by the guy in the members only jacket. The first episode of season 6 was titles "Members Only". They guy in the members only jacket is also the same person that shot Silvio

The screen going black, signified Tony being killed
  • TRILLip Brooks
    Options
    Shot signifies Tony's POV

door22.jpg?w=450

See's Carmela come in

door3carm1.jpg?w=450

Isn't paying attention to the guy in the members only jacket cause he's too busy looking at AJ

396845296-387937.jpg?w=450&h=287

Not Tony's pov but the camera focusing on him, knows he important to the scene

396848229-216463.jpg?w=450&h=287

Goes to the restroom behind Tony, so he won't see it coming

396845548-078960.jpg?w=450&h=287

Tony looks up

sopbell5.jpg?w=450&h=337

His pov is black, cause he was killed at close range and doesn't hear it

door5-blank.jpg?w=450
  • bignorm
    Options
    bignorm wrote: »
    whats funny is that Chase has said this on record twice, but the fans who believed otherwise, can't accept it.

• TRILLip Brooks
    Options
    Seeing how James Gandolfini died in real life, he's might feel uncomfortable and find it inappropriate to say he died
  • bignorm
    edited August 2014
    Options
    but he said he didn't die within a month of the actual finale tho.........
  • bignorm
    edited August 2014
    Options
    **turns on time machine**

Here's a thread by @Willmunny back in the day, where I point it out.
    Someone back then, doubted me, and I linked the story that was written right after the finale,
    with Chase saying that.

Thread. (page 2)
    http://community.allhiphop.com/discussion/345774/yo-the-series-finale-of-the-sopranos-was-? -as-?
    link from thread (check the date on article)
    http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv-movies/david-chase-reveals-truth-behind-sopranos-ending-article-1.231236
  • loch121
    edited August 2014
    Options
    David responded to the VOX interview and says Tony being alive is inaccurate

"A journalist for Vox misconstrued what David Chase said in their interview. To simply quote David as saying," Tony Soprano is not dead," is inaccurate. There is a much larger context for that statement and as such, it is not true. As David Chase has said numerous times on the record, "Whether Tony Soprano is alive or dead is not the point." To continue to search for this answer is fruitless. The final scene of The Sopranos raises a spiritual question that has no right or wrong answer.”

Basically Chase is a ? and will never tell.Tony got killed IMO,but he says there's a higher spiritual message

I meant to say alive and not dead and redited this
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Tony dead as ? in my mind but really it was a cop out ending in case they wanted a sopranos movie later. Horrible ending.
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    loch121 wrote: »

The theme was basically, U dont hear or see it coming. They talk about it on that boat when he was on vacation. U didnt hear when their boy got shot in the restaraunt. The black screen was his pov.
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I don't care.

I'm still going to pretend it's open to interpretation.
  • 2stepz_ahead
    Options
    tony could have called ? from italy
  • bignorm
    Options
    Chase backpedalling is just to be a ? now. But it don't refute that article I posted from after the finale, that he never refuted.
  • Cliff Da Mont
    Cliff Da Mont Members Posts: 861 ✭✭✭
    Options
    Rip Gandolfini
  • loch121
    Options
    @Smokey Tha Bandit‌ Do your resaearch before you nosign me.There are videos and thorough examinations of what happened.