Is The Rap/Hip-Hop Industry Hard To Break In? (Like Starting A Rap Career or DJ'ing?)

2»

Comments

• GorillaWitAttitude
    GorillaWitAttitude Members Posts: 3,566
    MECCA1000 wrote: »
    Gots to drop your name everywhere and be on every piece of social media ..... attend all music related events ..... have two dope mixtapes (one on other peoples beats & one on original tracks) circulating on the cloud, datpiff, & youtube ...... you need a freestyle on deck at all times ..... keep a stack of cd's to hand out to, if not the somebody .... that somebody who knows somebody .....

Find a photographer (preferably one with photoshop skills) who will work for cheap ...... fresh out of high school or still in college. You need a couple good pics to go with your bio ..... people like to put a name to a face .... build your own wiki page

Have your friends call the radio stations to request your song or give you a shout out ...... the people at the station will be like "Who?" and they'll go and do the googles on you

Now a days record labels don't want to build a artist .... seems as if they only take notice if you already have some type of buzz or name in these estreets

Very true because I had this kid at my highschool Junior year who wanted to do Rap. He would give out his CD's and etc.

5 Grand wrote: »
    So far everybody has given good advice but there's something we all overlooked.

MAKE A HIT SONG THAT PEOPLE WILL GET UP AND DANCE TO AT A PARTY/NIGHTCLUB

You could be the most skilled MC in the world and have some nice mellow beats. But that's not what makes people take notice. People (nightclub owners and DJs) take notice when your song comes on and people get up out of their seats and rush the dance floor. Not saying that your whole album should be all dance tracks, but you need at least two club bangers to promote the album. Also, it's songs like that that you can perform at shows to get the crowd hype. 20 years from now people will remember the party songs that made people get up and dance.

QUESTION

1. What do you remember most about Eric B and Rakim?

2. What do you remember most about Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock?

Rakim was clearly the better MC but people remember Rob Base and DJ EZ Rock for It Takes Two. That's the song that the DJ plays at weddings and family reunions that gets people on the dance floor. Rob Base will eat off that song for the rest of his life (not really because he didn't clear the sample and had to give up 100% of the publishing but you get my point)

Looking back, I wish Rakim rapped over that It Takes Two beat.

Word, you can always make that inspirational music, but you atleast to have one party hit on your tape.
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Seems 2 me like luck n who u know can b as important as ur music at times...4 example im not saying the clipse never woulda got in the game..but it must of been pretty convenient to have timbaland AND pharrel as neighbors..same w warren g n dre being related
  • natural born sinners
    natural born sinners Members Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can get in the industry thru ur mans..but is gonna take some sorta skill to maintain a career
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    No.

You just fill out an application and include references.
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    who you know matters

and they call it show BUSINESS for a reason
  • dj pre-k
    dj pre-k Members Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    and theres a big difference between being famous and being successful
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends where you live