What happened to rap groups?

af.r.i.c.a.
af.r.i.c.a. Members Posts: 9,338 ✭✭✭✭✭
There aren't too many groups in hip hop anymore. Back in the golden era and even leading into the late 90s there were plenty of dope rap groups but now a days they are few a far in between nh. Have sub labels become the new groups? MMG GOOD YMCMB ect..

Comments

• water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    True, you dont get many anymore, but when they do come around they are normally mad corny...
  • Jabu_Rule
    Jabu_Rule Members Posts: 5,993 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    There have been a few groups that formed to release joint albums. You even have all these super gangs groups forming. Groups being on labels is nothing new. There has always been collectives like Juice Crew, Native Tongues, Death Squad, Dungeon Family. Badboy, Death Row and Rockafella always came as a crew and label with crews coming out of that. I guess they aren't as organic anymore coming out the gate but a few good Rap teams and Rapper\Producer duos have come along after the fact.

• Dave2one6
    Dave2one6 Members Posts: 1,669 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Things always fall apart. I think Kendrick and nem could be a group, but they like NOPE, we gonna 1 by 1 that ass. pause.
  • water ur seeds
    water ur seeds Members Posts: 17,667 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Money.

Thats part of it, if a group is only selling 10,000/20,000 units, not 1/2mil... Then theres less money to go around, so being solo is defo more money...
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There aren't too many groups in hip hop anymore. Back in the golden era and even leading into the late 90s there were plenty of dope rap groups but now a days they are few a far in between nh. Have sub labels become the new groups? MMG GOOD YMCMB ect..
    Back in the day there wasn't as much money in rap as nowadays. Youngsters that rapped did it because they liked it and wanted to be heard. Every emcee felt he was nicest. Alot of rapgroups from back in the day were formed before the rappers got on, just kids that grew up together or met eachother at a certain point of their life. Their main was to get their music heard, display their skills.

The game has changed. Rap is seen as a weak hustle nowadays. These new rappers flat out say they "don't care for that rap ? " and overemphasize their street dealing past. The new formula is see what other popular rappers are doing and incorporate it, come up with a catchphrase/ a dance, drop your video on youtube and/ or social media outlets and hope it goes viral and get on/ signed. The label tries to capitalize off their buzz and when they eventually fall off the label has already moved on to the new wack rapper. You don't really have groups who came up together like you had back in the day. It's just lowlife hoodn!ggas with not much going for them that try to luck up on a record deal and some commercial success by biting what's hot and coming up with dances and catchphrases.
  • StillFaggyAF
    StillFaggyAF Members Posts: 40,358 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dumb thread because there are a lot now
  • Muhannad
    Muhannad Members Posts: 3,007 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe I interpreted the thread wrong but what I got out of it is that ts was wondering why there ain't rap groups or duo's like a EPMD, Main Source, Organized Konfushion, Brand Nubian, Artifacts, Heltah Skeltah etc. like there were back in the day. These brothers came up together in alot of cases and had great chemistry together.

These groups like ymcmb and MMG ain't comparable.
  • af.r.i.c.a.

Name some good ones
  • 32DaysOfInfiniti
    32DaysOfInfiniti Members Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    I think there just as many groups these days, its just egos are so huge that you never see them last long enough to get big
  • WiseGuyy
    WiseGuyy Members Posts: 1,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like there's more groups of solo rappers now. Like Black Hippy Slaughterhouse & A$AP. I like it better that way
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    Btw there are a few groups out there that I like but it's not to many. I dig Flatbush Zombies.. Overdoz.. Run the Jewelz and there are a few more that slip my mind but in the 90s I could probably run off 50 groups better and it wouldn't even be close. I get that splitting money is a big deal but I don't think that's a major factor in there being less groups now.. in fact I think it's less of a factor now because rap is more profitable now then it was then and after establishing your group you can always put out solo projects when you get your buzz up.
  • RawAce
    RawAce Members Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭✭✭

Name some good ones

• Viktor
    Viktor Members Posts: 228 ✭✭
    Cause ? can't work together, period. Jealousy, greed and envy is a maphuka. The only group that did it big IMO is Wu Tang.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    goldjordan wrote: »
    dat new g-unit droped

they trynna do something

G unit been around since like 2001 tho
  • BarryHalls
    BarryHalls Members Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014
    They're alive and well in the underground.
  • iron man1
    iron man1 Members Posts: 29,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alot of these new groups didn't grow up with eachother like in the earlier days.
  • af.r.i.c.a.
    BarryHalls wrote: »
    They're alive and well in the underground.

Names?
  • StillFaggyAF

Name some good ones

Flatbush zombies
    Underacheivers
    Square off
    Overdoz
    Asap mob
    Black hippy
    Bibby &herb
    Migos
    Pro era

In addition to rae srummurd, macklemore and ryan lewis, odd future, raider klvn , the rise of one producer one mc projects, and the rerise of crews (ymcmb ovo good mmg etc)
    Also old groups like gunit wu mobb making records again

Alot of yall seem out of touch with hip hop in 2014
  • qawshun
    qawshun Members Posts: 9,138 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The lox need to stop bullshitting and drop. But I can't think of any 2 man teams since players circle and I didn't ? with them either
  • af.r.i.c.a.

Name some good ones

Flatbush zombies
    Underacheivers
    Square off
    Overdoz
    Asap mob
    Black hippy
    Bibby &herb
    Migos
    Pro era

In addition to rae srummurd, macklemore and ryan lewis, odd future, raider klvn , the rise of one producer one mc projects, and the rerise of crews (ymcmb ovo good mmg etc)

Lol ? outa here ? you reaching with most of those and I have you the others. Good try tho.
  • 5th Letter
    5th Letter Members, Moderators, Writer Posts: 37,068 Regulator
    Crews have taken over that lane. Groups were a great way rappers that can't hold down a song/album by themselves to get some shine.
  • StillFaggyAF

Name some good ones

Flatbush zombies
    Underacheivers
    Square off
    Overdoz
    Asap mob
    Black hippy
    Bibby &herb
    Migos
    Pro era

Lol ? outa here ? you reaching with most of those and I have you the others. Good try tho.

i'm reaching or you just personally don't care for some of them? either way objectively groups have come back in hip hop
  • 5 Grand
    5 Grand Members Posts: 12,869 ✭✭✭✭✭

Name some good ones

Flatbush zombies
    Underacheivers
    Square off
    Overdoz
    Asap mob
    Black hippy
    Bibby &herb
    Migos
    Pro era

In addition to rae srummurd, macklemore and ryan lewis odd future, raider klvn , the rise of one producer one mc projects, and the rerise of crews (ymcmb ovo good mmg etc)

@ the bolded. did you say Macklemore and Ryan Lewis to prove your point?
  • StillFaggyAF
    5 Grand wrote: »

Name some good ones

Flatbush zombies
    Underacheivers
    Square off
    Overdoz
    Asap mob
    Black hippy
    Bibby &herb
    Migos
    Pro era

In addition to rae srummurd, macklemore and ryan lewis odd future, raider klvn , the rise of one producer one mc projects, and the rerise of crews (ymcmb ovo good mmg etc)

@ the bolded. did you say Macklemore and Ryan Lewis to prove your point?

are they not a duo?