So now a Black Woman will be Batman's Servant and call him 'Master'?!?

indyman87
indyman87 Members Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭✭
I'm not sure that DC have thought through this storyline. I just caught a small panel of today's Batman Eternal and it's suggesting that the Biracial daughter of Batman's Butler and Servant Alfred will be taking his place. in the storyline Alfred is in the Hospital. Alfred calls Bruce/Batman 'Master' often. I wonder if the new Black female Alfred will do the same? And of course somewhere down the line there will be some kind of romance between the two. SMH. Reminds me of Slavery and the plantations.

Comments

• The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭
    lol 'Master' means something different in the context that Alfred uses it. I doubt they'd have this new chick saying that given it's a pretty antiquated term that no one in in America uses anymore.
  • nicky the don
    nicky the don Members Posts: 502 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, she's a spy also. You can bet from what they've showed of her that her and Bruce are gonna bump heads alot. Could also see her involving herself in the action.
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    lol 'Master' means something different in the context that Alfred uses it. I doubt they'd have this new chick saying that given it's a pretty antiquated term that no one in in America uses anymore.

True.

It's not like she'll be saying, "? ".

• dalyricalbandit
    dalyricalbandit Members, Moderators Posts: 67,918 Regulator
    Bruce will end up smashin
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Master means Master, aint no sugar coating that ? , look and research the meaning of the word and historic content
  • TheManInBlack4.0
    TheManInBlack4.0 Members Posts: 836 ✭✭✭✭
    waterproof wrote: »
    Master means Master, aint no sugar coating that ? , look and research the meaning of the word and historic content

No ? , but that wasn't (presumably) the author's intent.

Butler's have historically, white or black, have referred to their employer as master outside of some cleaning service.

If she was half Asian instead, you wouldn't be saying ? .
  • earth two superman
    earth two superman Members Posts: 17,149 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just read the issue. Nothing in it says that shes gonna be a butler.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far she's pretty irreverent to Bruce, she doesn't really like him. Even if she takes over for Alfred for a while I seriously doubt she's gonna be on board with all that formal butler ?
  • waterproof
    waterproof Members Posts: 9,412 ✭✭✭✭✭

No ? , but that wasn't (presumably) the author's intent.

Butler's have historically, white or black, have referred to their employer as master outside of some cleaning service.

If she was half Asian instead, you wouldn't be saying ? .

now go research why the butlers call their employer Master, the historical content of it, SMH negros
  • kzzl
    kzzl Members Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Despite the racial undertones, Bruce is gonna be smashing that. I don't see how a person could write that book and NOT have that ? happen at some point. They'll have to make something wrong with the chick. That's serious intimate relationship/role to give a female, nothing short of Bruce being a ? or castrated is going to stop that. That ? is just human nature.

If that's the role they give her.
  • The Lonious Monk
    The Lonious Monk Members Posts: 26,258 ✭✭✭✭✭

You're wrong. Look at any definition of the word. "Master" is an honorific for a young boys. Alfred has been with Bruce since he was a child. Alfred calls him that out of tradition. He is not referring to him as his master in the way you're suggesting, and I doubt they'd have the new chick call him that because they don't have that relationship.
  • lord nemesis
    lord nemesis Members Posts: 11,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Alfred's codename when helping Batman is Penny-1. She's going to be Penny-2. Unlikely she'll serve Bruce in a butler capacity