Smokey Tha Bandit Members Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    SOA is slippin IMO

they better end that ? strong
  • atribecalledgabi
    atribecalledgabi Members, Moderators Posts: 14,063 Regulator
    Options
    The Wire
    Just got done rewatching the wire a couple weeks ago. The wire and the sopranos are the GOATS and then there's everything else.

Off the choices in this thread:
    Wire
    Boardwalk
    Breaking Bad
    SOA
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Wire
    Boardwalk Empire
    Breaking Bad

In that order

Never seen Sons of Anarchy but from the reviews and people I know who watch describe it as entertaining, but over the top. Fast food television. I'll have to find out myself
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    Options
    The Wire
    SOA is basically Hamlet with a biker gang
  • ojos_negros
    ojos_negros Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Wire
    The sopranos finale is genius imo
  • Smokey Tha Bandit
    Options
    so the question is when and where does Game Of Thrones come into this conversation?
  • Bcotton5
    Bcotton5 Members Posts: 51,851 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Breaking Bad
    nawledge_? wrote: »
    BB=TW>>>BE>>>>>>>>>>>SOA

• ojos_negros
    Options
    The Wire
    Breaking bad is let down by a few things..the pointlessness of some characters, flynn, marie..what exactly did they contribute? Also why is everyone on the show other than walt really irritating and dislikable..what the ? did they do to jesse..turned him into the biggest ? the world had ever seen and that's hardly an exaggeration. And the amount of melodrama and convenience and walt escaping at just the right time..those moments like 'say my name' and 'one who knocks' just weren't for me and didn't work imo. Other than that, very very good tv and cranston was something else but sopranos and the wire are way ahead of any other shows of that ilk
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Breaking bad is let down by a few things..the pointlessness of some characters, flynn, marie..what exactly did they contribute? Also why is everyone on the show other than walt really irritating and dislikable..what the ? did they do to jesse..turned him into the biggest ? the world had ever seen and that's hardly an exaggeration. And the amount of melodrama and convenience and walt escaping at just the right time..those moments like 'say my name' and 'one who knocks' just weren't for me and didn't work imo. Other than that, very very good tv and cranston was something else but sopranos and the wire are way ahead of any other shows of that ilk

Ah+-+Nevermind.gif
  • DillaDeaf
    DillaDeaf Members Posts: 4,802 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Wire
    The Wire ..............

not cause it just relatable.....but The Wire is an extension of one of the greatest tv minseries ever (The Corner), exists in the same universe as one of the most beloved cop tv shows ever -- Homicide: Life on the Street

The Wire already had it's mythology ready due to that...and of course the city of Baltimore was The Wire greatest character...

• Smokey Tha Bandit
    Options

this dude says the Sopranos ending was genius but then ? on Breaking Bad. LOL GTFOH
  • nickel-us P
    nickel-us P Members Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Wire ..............

not cause it just relatable.....but The Wire is an extension of one of the greatest tv minseries ever (The Corner), exists in the same universe as one of the most beloved cop tv shows ever -- Homicide: Life on the Street

The Wire already had it's mythology ready due to that...and of course the city of Baltimore was The Wire greatest character...

I admit. I never followed the wire like that. Its part of The Corner? That was a good mini series
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Breaking Bad
    This is one the worst posts Ive seen on this board in months and that's saying a lot.

You should retire from being a TV critic and maybe this forum.
  • HustleThaDon
    HustleThaDon Members Posts: 28,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Breaking Bad
    Breaking bad easily for me. I tried like.hell to watch the wire. Made it through the first season and could not get past season 2. Boardwalk empire got boring to me midway through season 3. I knew once they killed Jimmy that I wouldn't ? with it too much longer.
  • ojos_negros
    Options
    The Wire
    This is one the worst posts Ive seen on this board in months and that's saying a lot.

So my actual attempt at an explanation as to breaking bads failings (and even the great shows have them) is a terrible post, but you just broadly stating my post is bad without any attempt to explain why is a 'good' post?

You might want to rethink this.

• ojos_negros
    Options
    The Wire

this dude says the Sopranos ending was genius but then ? on Breaking Bad. LOL GTFOH

The sopranos ending took a long time for me to appreciate fully, but after thinking about it and on rewatches I really appreciate it. I'm generally a fan of open ended and ambiguous endings to films etc if done well, and they laid down so many clues as to how this ? would go down along the way that it almost pushes the sopranos above the wire for me...and I hold the wire in such high esteem I never really thought that possible.
  • PanchoYoSancho
    PanchoYoSancho Members Posts: 13,177 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Breaking Bad

So my actual attempt at an explanation as to breaking bads failings (and even the great shows have them) is a terrible post, but you just broadly stating my post is bad without any attempt to explain why is a 'good' post?

You could argue Flynn's role is minimal, but to say Marie's character is pointless is dumb.

This show was filled with ? and annoying people. It's not a sitcom. They're not supposed to be likable.

How was Jesse turned into a ? ?
  • Elzo69Renaissance
    Elzo69Renaissance Members Posts: 50,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    The Wire
    I can't lie I have never seen an episode of the Sopranos
  • ojos_negros
    edited September 2014
    Options
    The Wire

You could argue Flynn's role is minimal, but to say Marie's character is pointless is dumb.

This show was filled with ? and annoying people. It's not a sitcom. They're not supposed to be likable.

How was Jesse turned into a ? ?

You're right, marie did have more to do than flynn but I still only remember as being mostly foil to hank and skyler. Case in point was her kleptomania storyline which went nowhere and just seemed like a failed attempt to give her more depth.

Yeah its not a sitcom, but to have people as unlikable and one note as these characters is poor imo. Sopranos was filled with the most despicable and hateful people you could ever meet but you could still emphasise with them, understand their motivations and often even like them..that goes for the wire too.

Jesse..man..I know people liked him and tbh I did too, but it all went to ? in the final season or seasons where he seemed to spend a lot of it depressed, crying, then snitching and driving around throwing millions out of his car etc etc it was too much and he was irritating af. Don't get me wrong I love the idea of him breaking down as a result of his decisions, the deaths etc...todd taking him to see andreas death was amazing and really chilling..but things like him running to hank just seemed like overly convenient writing again

Like I say though, great show..when its at its best its absolutely amazing, tense and moving, I just had some problems with it that often stuck out a mile
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    @ojos_negros

How the ? could you say Walt Jr's role was pointless? His situations and actions directly and indirectly affected the character growth of Walt. Jus too name few...

-When those kids were makin fun of Walt Jr in season 1 when they toke him to pants. That was really the 1st time we seen timid, soft Walt act like a bad ass.
    -When Jr made the web site askin for donations, we saw Walts huge ego get in the way when it wasnt needed.
    -When Walt got in the fight n Jr showed up at the apt. And Walt broke down cryin infront of Jr. It showed when around his son, a softer side of walt came out.
    -When Walt was goin under for surgery n he made the slip up bout havin 2 cell phones. And Walt Jr covered up for him. N said he left it home.
    -When Walt bought the muscle car for Jr, it showed bein able to enjoy the fruits of his labour
    -When the family was stayin at the hotel when Jesse tried to burn the house down. N Walt n Jr had that moment by the pool.
    -And of course the biggest one imo when sylar n walt had the knife fight, jr was the one who protected his mother. And that scene where Walt was standin over his family as Jr called the police was when Walt realized he was tearing apart his family.

So um gtfohwtbs
  • ojos_negros
    Options
    The Wire
    marc123 wrote: »
    @ojos_negros

How the ? could you say Walt Jr's role was pointless? His situations and actions directly and indirectly affected the character growth of Walt. Jus too name few...

-When those kids were makin fun of Walt Jr in season 1 when they toke him to pants. That was really the 1st time we seen timid, soft Walt act like a bad ass.
    -When Jr made the web site askin for donations, we saw Walts huge ego get in the way when it wasnt needed.
    -When Walt got in the fight n Jr showed up at the apt. And Walt broke down cryin infront of Jr. It showed when around his son, a softer side of walt came out.
    -When Walt was goin under for surgery n he made the slip up bout havin 2 cell phones. And Walt Jr covered up for him. N said he left it home.
    -When Walt bought the muscle car for Jr, it showed bein able to enjoy the fruits of his labour
    -When the family was stayin at the hotel when Jesse tried to burn the house down. N Walt n Jr had that moment by the pool.
    -And of course the biggest one imo when sylar n walt had the knife fight, jr was the one who protected his mother. And that scene where Walt was standin over his family as Jr called the police was when Walt realized he was tearing apart his family.

So um gtfohwtbs

Well that's exactly it, he's rarely anything other than a plot device for walt to show his character progression. As a character he does nothing, is un interesting, doesn't really change anything. I'm not saying every character in a show has to have a compelling character arc but this is one of the shows main actors and he's a total non entity...and just as an aside his acting was poor, he almost ruined the ozymandias episode which was was in every other way just sublime.
  • ojos_negros
    Options
    The Wire
    I can't lie I have never seen an episode of the Sopranos

Bruh watch that ? , like I've said here the wire is above everything for me but tony soprano>>>> honestly the amount of depth shown to this one character is phenomenal, I'm really not eloquent enough to even try and explain properly but rarely if ever are you put directly into the mind of such a seemingly realistic and charismatic character.

Not to mention it will have you rollin, sopranos is consistently funny af.