Battle of the shows: B/W Empire vs. Breaking Bad vs. The Wire vs. SOA

13»

Comments

• marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    marc123 wrote: »
    @ojos_negros

How the ? could you say Walt Jr's role was pointless? His situations and actions directly and indirectly affected the character growth of Walt. Jus too name few...

-When those kids were makin fun of Walt Jr in season 1 when they toke him to pants. That was really the 1st time we seen timid, soft Walt act like a bad ass.
    -When Jr made the web site askin for donations, we saw Walts huge ego get in the way when it wasnt needed.
    -When Walt got in the fight n Jr showed up at the apt. And Walt broke down cryin infront of Jr. It showed when around his son, a softer side of walt came out.
    -When Walt was goin under for surgery n he made the slip up bout havin 2 cell phones. And Walt Jr covered up for him. N said he left it home.
    -When Walt bought the muscle car for Jr, it showed bein able to enjoy the fruits of his labour
    -When the family was stayin at the hotel when Jesse tried to burn the house down. N Walt n Jr had that moment by the pool.
    -And of course the biggest one imo when sylar n walt had the knife fight, jr was the one who protected his mother. And that scene where Walt was standin over his family as Jr called the police was when Walt realized he was tearing apart his family.

So um gtfohwtbs

Well that's exactly it, he's rarely anything other than a plot device for walt to show his character progression. As a character he does nothing, is un interesting, doesn't really change anything. I'm not saying every character in a show has to have a compelling character arc but this is one of the shows main actors and he's a total non entity...and just as an aside his acting was poor, he almost ruined the ozymandias episode which was was in every other way just sublime.

Well the show was about the transformation of Walter White.
  • infamous114
    infamous114 Members, Moderators Posts: 52,202 Regulator
    The Wire
    When I think of Walter Jr, all I think about is his obsession with breakfast lol
  • dontdiedontkillanyon
    dontdiedontkillanyon Members Posts: 10,172 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Wire
    The Wire, h'obviously.
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've only really watched Breaking Bad and The Wire. It's hard to see anything beating those.
  • ojos_negros
    ojos_negros Members Posts: 711 ✭✭✭✭
    The Wire
    marc123 wrote: »
    Well the show was about the transformation of Walter White.

And the wire was about a wire tap and the sopranos is about tony and his family, its not a good excuse.
  • Will Munny
    Will Munny Members Posts: 30,199 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Wire
    Will Munny wrote: »
    The Wire>Breaking Bad>Boardwalk Empire>SOA

All are great but SOA is last because season 2 was so wack and because every season seems like it has 2-4 episodes where ? really gets bogged down.

The Wire just made me feel the most so I had it number one, but very close behind are BB and BE. All are great shows that are hard to criticize. BB and BE are interchangeable to me.

season 2 was whack? you're out of your ever loving mind. that is easily the best season. season 3 was the whackest one.

and Breaking Bad and Boardwalk Empire are interchangeable? what in the holy hell? they dont even compare, at all.

Season 2 was ? horrible. They didn't even touch Opie's wife getting killed until the very end of the episode. It's just trash.

I do think Justified is better than SOA. Better dialogue at the very least.
  • TRILLip Brooks
    TRILLip Brooks Members Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Breaking Bad relied to much on cliff hangers and intense moments that are only great on 1st watch. ? has no replay value. Jesse, Skylar and Marie are hands down the worst, most excruciating tv characters ever.

Sopranos is way better than Breaking Bad. Acting, story line, character development stand point, there not even on the same level. Breaking bad is tier below The Sopranos, Wire. I put it with American Horror story, Walking Dead etc. entertaining show but fast food television. Wire and Sopranos are 5 star restaurant. Not to mention, ? 's illogical and non believable.

If wasn't for the wire, Sopranos would be the GOAT show. There's the reason it's the biggest and most impactful one hour cable drama ever. It paved the way for the Breaking Bads, Wire, Mad Men etc. all that ? yall watch
  • A$AP_A$TON
    A$AP_A$TON Members Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Justified is the truth
  • Alkinduz
    Alkinduz Members Posts: 2,070 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No love for Vikings, Luther, Game of thrones and True detective out here?

Out of all mentioned in the opening post, I prefer Boardwalk Empire, brilliant script and characters...love the plotting, scheming and overall set up and style of the show...plus I use to live a stonethrow away from Scheveningen(the atlantic city of Holland lol) so that boardwalk life reminds me of home(while out here in the far east)

Never cared about the wire or sons of anarchy to be honest.
  • marc123
    marc123 Members Posts: 16,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A$AP_A$TON wrote: »
    Justified is the truth

It gets great reviews, so tried to give this show a chance. Got to ep 8 of season 1, ? was jus boring to me. No interest at all. Imma finish the 1st season tho, but overall its meh imo.