Somebody explain why the Scottish didnt want to be independent?

Options
jono
jono Members Posts: 30,280 ✭✭✭✭✭
Umm I know I probably wasn't paying close attention to the years long argument of Scottish independence but I did see that recently they decided to stay in the United Kingdom.

This begs the question, why? I'm sure there are some UK/English posters here. What was the thoughts in your country, did you even give a damn?

Comments

• cannonspike1994
    cannonspike1994 Members Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    i think the election was rigged
  • janklow
    janklow Members, Moderators Posts: 8,613 Regulator
    Options
    going with a combination of "the rest of the UK foots the bill for things in Scotland" and "not entirely convinced the rosy projections from the pro-independence side were on the level"
    but you know, they have a long-shared identity and it's not like the Scots are oppressed and suffering, so...
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Scotland made a straight business move, and decided it's not worth the risk to their economy. Scotland on its own has a lot of poverty (1 in 4 children there live in poverty I believe), so breaking away from London would have made that worse.
  • kingblaze84
    kingblaze84 Members Posts: 14,288 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i think the election was rigged

Maybe but Scotland isn't really challenging anything, voting for unity won by ten percent that's a pretty big win
  • reapin505
    reapin505 Members Posts: 4,009 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
  • Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You're late man, the election was rigged... Tho this is a nonstory compared to what's going on in the world right now
  • Focal Point
    Focal Point Members Posts: 16,307 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
  • janklow
    Options
    Judah Back wrote: »
    You're late man, the election was rigged...
    good to see such a strong argument in support of that claim

• jono
    Options
    reapin505 wrote: »
    freedom-1.jpg

or nah?

Apparently nah.

• Black Boy King
    Black Boy King Members Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    janklow wrote: »
    You're late man, the election was rigged...
    good to see such a strong argument in support of that claim

This was reported on mainstream news with video proof. If you don't believe me tho, I couldnt care less
  • janklow
    Options
    This was reported on mainstream news with video proof.
    it's almost like a statement like this could be backed up with a link or something. but instead, it's the same old "everyone must prove my claims" noise.

• jono
    Options
    I believed the election was rigged also. That was until I learned more about Scotland.
  • LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If you're going to claim that there was rigging involved it would help clarify things if you mentioned who exactly would rig the election and why?

If it was British interests what would they gain?
  • jono
    Options
    I don't necessarily believe it was rigged but If it were then obviously it would be rigged by the loyalists.

The British still have a lot of control over Scotland, including Scottish law which is more than likely beneficial to the Scots ruling class.

All that said, you can't underestimate emotional attachments and many people have emotional attachments to Britain from it's hundreds of years of history together.

Generally speaking I'm all for independence. The people Quebec, the people of Ireland, those morons down in Texas and anywhere else should have a formal, fair vote about whether they should stay affiliated to their respective nations.

A fair vote can't hurt anyone. Scotland debated the subject for years before voting, that's how it should be. I'm also not averse to violent revolution, civil war is always entertaining.
  • janklow
    Options
    jono wrote: »
    Generally speaking I'm all for independence. The people Quebec, the people of Ireland, those morons down in Texas and anywhere else should have a formal, fair vote about whether they should stay affiliated to their respective nations.
    well, Quebec did. even Ireland sort of did (as in, i'm not sure people blame the current situation on vote rigging back in the day). so i guess the question is, now many votes resolves it?

• LUClEN
    LUClEN Members Posts: 20,559 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Quebec did not separate

the vote just barely lost though
  • jono
    Options
    I know Quebec isn't separate, the point is all the communities I mentioned have strong independence movements.